42 Years Ago Today

susiedriver

That was when John friend. Kennedy was gunned down in Dallas.

I've yet to see mention of it in any of the major, mainstream media. I'm old enough to actually remember the day, even the teacher stopping class to say a prayer. I wonder if that could happen today.

I think that was the day that America lost her innocence. I'm glad he was president during the Cuban Missile Crisis, otherwise perhaps none of us would be here to argue.

wily_old_vet

Haven't heard anything either though I haven't been listening too much to the news. I remember that we had a half day of school that day and I and a friend went downtown with my mom. We were in a department store when I heard the news. Some things you never forget and no your teacher wouldn't be allowed to say a prayer which I think explains a lot about society today.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My mom thought JFK was a saint. I'm glad she never knew what a womanizer he really was. All that stuff came out much later.

I was in typing class when it happened and the entire school was in tears within a few minutes. Catholic school, Catholic president....very sad moment.

tieguy

Banned
I have a lot of respect for JFK. JfK may have been the first president to endorse a concept some later called reagonomics. Cutting taxes to grow the economy. He was also apparently desecrating the white house with his affairs.

Did Suzie mean american lost its innocence when JFK was shot or when JFK started screwing Marilyn Monroe in the white house?

ok2bclever

I Re Member
"American lost it's innocence"

Probably meant anyone who thought he was the first president to have adulterated sex in the White House.

I do think I like a president screwing a few who agreed to it than a president who screws millions without permission.

DS

Fenderbender
I was 8 years old in Toronto when I heard the news.They sent us all home early and I remember my mom was crying when I got home.When we talked she told me that a good man was killed.Probobly the best president the USA ever had.

moreluck

golden ticket member
pasaholic.......we care because someone started this thread on Nov. 22nd to honor a man who was shot to death on that day 42years ago. It's called history. Those who don't learn from it are bound to repeat it.

Some of us remember very clearly, because we lived it. Don't rub it in about the age thing you young whippersnapper....blink and you'll be there too....trust me.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
Well let's see, I know of fifteen people who now hold full-time jobs that wouldn't if not for that strike.

It opened a door, fired up the momentum.

Let's see, a minimum of 20,000 new additional jobs created from part-time positions in that contract and this one.

Granted, by the normal procedure of UPS that will also be the maximum as UPS normally doesn't give one inch more than it's forced into by the contract.

Still, Two-won-tie thousand.

That is a lot of additional full-time jobs.

Fifteen of them in my building alone, a minimum of four more likely by the end of this contract here alone.

Management likes to say the strike wasn't really about more full-time jobs because they lost that battle and they have never been good losers.

The strike didn't truly benefit me to my knowledge, but I would say at this time two weeks off was worth it for those fellow workers and the additional ones to come.

The pension was in relatively good shape in '97 when Carey was ousted for claims that have since been overturned and all charges acquitted of.

One could say that an analogy could be made regarding dreamers that were stopped before their time by the less than innocent.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
all of which was already on the table before Carey ran for the door. But you wouldn't know that for some reason you a steward were not allowed access to this information from either the company or the union.:D