5 Seeing Habits, 10 point commentary

The Ketter Audits are a joke. UPS has seemed to cancel many of them due to cost. They act so irate when a center flunks one. Who gave Ketter the 5 Seeing Habits, 10 Point Commentary, 5 Keys to Preventing Slips And Falls, 8 Keys to Lifting and Lowering, etc., etc.? UPS did. They're the ones who complicated things and then they're pissed when some Ctrs. don't pass. Ketter didn't know squat about what we do. What we do is not standard operating procedure in every transportation company. UPS manufactured this for them and then call it an outside independant inspection. They probably own Ketter under one of their other corporations.

Many yrs ago in the early '90's one of our brother teamsters went running to OSHA about safety concerns and that is the reason you now have to deal with these keter audits. So instead of just blaming management for these audits all the time, look at the guy or gal next to you some time. I believe management hates them as much as we do.

I have come to realize lately,thanks to this excessive cell phone using,texting while driving,no courtesy showing bunch of morons that have become UPS feeder drivers,and I`m assuming package drivers also. That if your a good driver you could have a passing knowledge of the 5 and 10 and it may help you keep the safety points in mind and perhaps make you slightly better. If your a bad driver you could memorize them word for word along with the Gideon bible and have praying hands laid on you by the pope and you`ll still be a rolling hazard just waiting to be another statistic on the centers crash board.

Our latest newcomer to the hit parade yesterday was busy texting his lovely new wife,having just returned from his honeymoon last week,and failed to keep his eye on the road and dropped a wheel off the concrete and caused him to auger into a thankfully parked rail car at the Sante Fe yard next door. It wiped out one shifting horse but hopefully not his career.

M

Mike23

Look over left shoulder when pulling from curb(9 o'clock is over the left shoulder)

Make sure they see you(10 you just have to remember)

Our HR guy did it this way with 9 and 10.

If a hot girl or guy walk past you, what do you do? Look over your shoulder

To get that hot girl or guys number, what do you do? Make sure they see you

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Many yrs ago in the early '90's one of our brother teamsters went running to OSHA about safety concerns and that is the reason you now have to deal with these keter audits. So instead of just blaming management for these audits all the time, look at the guy or gal next to you some time. I believe management hates them as much as we do.

If UPS had taken this persons safety concerns seriously...instead of just ignoring them and focusing only on production...he probably wouldnt have had to run to OSHA in the first place.

PhatAzz

Leave one car lenght when stopped in traffic..

Look left, right, left at intersection..

Count 123 before pulling out at intersection..

4-6 second following distance under 30, 6-8 over 30

Check mirrors every 5 seconds

Scan steering wheels for signs ofu life

Stale green lights

8-12 second eye lead time

Look over left shoulder when pulling from curb

Make sure they see you

I think that is it, im sure it isnt word for word.. But that version passed the Ketter audit..

Tips to help you remember at least 6 of these

#3 is Count 123....
#4 is 4-6 seconds....
#5 is check mirrors every 5 seconds
#6 and #7 start with the letter "S" just like the words "six" and "seven"
Stale Green lights
Scan steering wheels
#8 is 8-12 seconds eye lead time

chema25

make sure they see you is not part of the ten point. It is the last part of the 5 seeing habits. Nomber 10 of the 10 point is check mirrors and gauges every ten seconds

make sure they see you is not part of the ten point. It is the last part of the 5 seeing habits. Nomber 10 of the 10 point is check mirrors and gauges every ten seconds

Not according to everything I had in driving school, 5 years on road as air driver, and Intergrad in Chicago...

browniehound

Its useful information to remember and apply, but dont be intimidated into thinking you can get in trouble for failing to memorize and recite it verbatim. Its just a word game the company invented so that it can pretend to care about our safety.

It might be just a word game and its total nonsense unless you can actually apply it to defensive driving yourself. Anyone can memorize those less than 1000 words. Question becomes: Do you do those things and understand why doing those things keep us from accidents?

I know it and want to know it because maybe it will protect me from idiot drivers. Also, if I know it and you don't then the heat is off my rear-end.

I understand its a big pain for some people but I think it benefits the driver to follow those rules more than it benefits UPS in you knowing those rules verbatim. Accidents suck. I don't want one and if the 5 seeing habits and all the safety "noise" I hear everyday keeps me out of one, then I'm all for this stuff.

This is a bit of a last minute thing, but if anyone can name them off for me, so that I can study/learn them, that would be great. I need to be able to recite them by tomorrow and I dont want to look like an idiot. Oh and fight the urge to give me false information :wink:

I am a little concerned about the format of this question. Sounds like your offering to do homework, were not in junior high, walk into cms office and tell him you want to know DOK backwards and fowards and make sure you get paid to do it. If he cant help you goto your safety chair.