5th Union Petition Filed at Fedex Freight

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Could it be the Teamsters have figured out that it would be a waste of time and resources to try to organize what is in the process of becoming a part-time opco?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Could it be the Teamsters have figured out that it would be a waste of time and resources to try to organize what is in the process of becoming a part-time opco?
They'll gladly take dues from part-timers. Many of the dockworkers at Roadway/Yellow are part-time and they pay union dues.

So how would this be any different?

Cactus

So... Show them that you are worth it. Quit your job. Sell your home. Travel across the country talking to your former co-workers. Convince others to do the same. Show the unions that you and yours are willing to risk it all and maybe they'll be willing put some risk on the table too.

You don't expect them to do all the work and take all the risk for you, do you?
Nope. His fight, not mine. I don't support his cause.
They why make all those (cough, cough) "brilliant" suggestions?

CJinx

Throwing ideas out there. If I were in your shoes and wanted to get a union drive going as badly as you or MFE claim to, anything would be better than stagnating with the current status quo. What you claim to have been doing for your cause has yielded no results; what is it they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting it to come out different?

Change tactics. Be ambitious. Be aggressive. Don't tell the unions why they should listen to you; show them.

Or don't. Your choice.

Cactus

Change tactics. Be ambitious. Be aggressive. Don't tell the unions why they should listen to you; show them.
You think we haven't thought of that already? We've both tried working with The Teamsters. So have a lot of others. And guess what The Teamsters did? They ran away like school kids, ceasing any further communications without explanation because things didn't quite go their way. Hoffa Jr. is spineless unlike his dad how would've fought tooth and nail.

And we're supposed to kiss their asses?

You have no idea.

CJinx

You're right, I have no idea what you're not willing to do to see to it that your endgame goal is realized.

You need them. They don't need you. You can call them cowards and weaklings and people who fold at the first sign of adversity; but if you're not willing to go all in, why should they?

To borrow another poker metaphor; FXE is sitting on a straight flush with the current legislation as written, but even that can be beaten if you're willing to stack the deck in your favor.

Do you think the first ever unions had a national organization to do all the hard work for them?

Cactus

You need them. They don't need you.
Yeah they would have practically zero interest in taking our money for union dues. They're so well off financially with their supreme leadership that counting all the extra money from FedEx couriers it would just be a huge time consuming hassle.

Right.

CJinx

You can be flippant all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the unions are putting forth about as much effort as you are.

vantexan

You can be flippant all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the unions are putting forth about as much effort as you are.
But in order for there to be a vote EVERYONE nationwide has to participate. Those who don't are automatic no votes. Thus it takes an organization that's national in scope to organize. A courier can talk locally all he wants, but he doesn't have the ability to get people involved 6 states over. The company does hold all the cards, and unless the government changes the rules no national union is going to waste it's time and money. And let's face it, higher paid couriers means higher shipping costs. The government will have to face a lot of business owners who count on lower costs to keep their profits up. These are the people who make campaign contributions. Simply put, we are being sacrificed so others can make more money. There'll be no government support, no union support. Any talk of what couriers will do is academic. Different times from when unions first came about.

CJinx

From the first page:
I imagine they're not taking your phone calls because they don't think it's worth the effort. As the law stands, it would take a nationwide effort just to get the opportunity to vote; and even then, they don't want to lose.

So... Show them that you are worth it. Quit your job. Sell your home. Travel across the country talking to your former co-workers. Convince others to do the same. Show the unions that you and yours are willing to risk it all and maybe they'll be willing put some risk on the table too.

You don't expect them to do all the work and take all the risk for you, do you?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I've done myself a huge favor and given up thinking about unionizing and just focusing on the 'EXIT' door now.

Yes, I've capitulated, but feel strangely more the serene for it.

I'm on to much more attainable goals now - such as building an eight-lane super highway to the Moon (with rest areas)

Cactus

I'm
I'm just telling it like it is. Sorry if it's not quite to your liking.

CJinx

I'm just telling it like it is. Sorry if it's not quite to your liking.
Hey dude; whatever justifies your inaction towards your situation.
Send me monthly checks, and I'll gladly quit my job and become a full-time organizer.
So you want to get paid to do it too? Doesn't send quite the same message; but if you can find someone to bankroll it for you, more power to ya.

MAKAVELI

Hey dude; whatever justifies your inaction towards your situation.
So you want to get paid to do it too? Doesn't send quite the same message; but if you can find someone to bankroll it for you, more power to ya.
Let us know when you're ready to quit your job and join the fight.;)