5th Union Petition Filed at Fedex Freight

overflowed

You write a lot for someone with no interest. Where are these independently wealthy couriers who can quit to organize? If they're so well off they wouldn't need a union, don't you think?
Shill. Always been, always will be. She just is a slightly less abrasive shill usually.

MAKAVELI

I have no interest in a union at Fedex Express.
If you have no interest then maybe you shouldn't be telling someone to quit their job and try to organize a company nationally by themselves. You just come off as a very arrogant person who is also very ignorant when it comes to organizing a company as large and anti union as FedEx. The reality is we need the teamsters and they need us for a successful organizing campaign. With the rla rules, it would truly be a monumental effort that would require the teamsters resources and the employees fortitude to make it happen. It just can't simply be done alone. So if you aren't ready to quit your job and stand with us to fight then maybe you should just shut the front door.:cool:

CJinx

Where are these independently wealthy couriers who can quit to organize?
You don't have to be independently wealthy to travel around the country. Joe Garner did it with a laptop and a cell phone. Imagine what he could have done with just a couple thousand dollars.
If you have no interest then maybe you shouldn't be telling someone to quit their job and try to organize a company nationally by themselves.
I have no interest because I don't work there. Taco Bell could start a union drive tomorrow and I really wouldn't care. This happens to be a topic of discussion here on these forums.

I realize that my idea is outrageous. It has the virtue of never having been tried. It would be a hell of a risk for anyone actually trying to do it, but it would send quite a message to all involved that at least one person was taking the 'drive' seriously. What's the alternative? Wait for someone else to do the work? How's that working out?

vantexan

You don't have to be independently wealthy to travel around the country. Joe Garner did it with a laptop and a cell phone. Imagine what he could have done with just a couple thousand dollars.

Not familiar with Joe Garner but tell me, did he live on air? Gas, food, lodging? You're asking people with responsibilities to quit their jobs. Even if the union got in due to their efforts they'd be on the outside looking in. So they're supposed to fall on their swords for the good of everyone else? Do you know how many hundreds of Express facilities there are? We aren't talking about organizing a factory. Not feasible on many levels and you are just using a facetious argument to egg people on. Why do you think the Teamsters aren't stepping up? They know under current rules and with a Republican House it's futile, not to mention expensive, to try. Stick to what you know over at Ground.

CJinx

Not familiar with Joe Garner but tell me, did he live on air? Gas, food, lodging?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1486616/
You're asking people with responsibilities to quit their jobs. Even if the union got in due to their efforts they'd be on the outside looking in.
I have a hard time believing that there would be nothing for them if they were ultimately successful. The union would need infrastructure to manage it's new wing of members, yes?
Do you know how many hundreds of Express facilities there are? We aren't talking about organizing a factory. Not feasible on many levels and you are just using a facetious argument to egg people on. Why do you think the Teamsters aren't stepping up? They know under current rules and with a Republican House it's futile, not to mention expensive, to try.
I am aware of the difficulties. I know the laws involved and how unlikely it is that the rules are going to get changed for the benefit of labor. I know that the union isn't interested in expending resources on a group that isn't willing to do much beyond whispering to each other in the bathrooms and clandestinely posting flyers in the break rooms. The idea is that if a small handful of people having taken it upon themselves to travel around and garner support were to contact the unions and tell them what they've done and show them the support/contacts they have, you could convince them that your endgame is worth pursuing.

Is it a long shot? Absolutely. However the chances of success are greater than the status quo currently.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well alright then, I'll just quit my job to travel the country with my cellphone so we can have miniscule chance of a union only I won't get to be a member 'cause I quit my job.

chrisgumm

They are up to 8 petitions with several more to be filed nationally.

From today's Indy Star:

Teamsters aim to organize FedEx’s Indy drivers

Jeff Swiatek, 2:50 p.m. EDT September 10, 2014

Teamsters want to organize FedEx drivers in Indianapolis. (Photo: Star Photo/Charlie Nye )

The Teamsters union is trying to whip up pro-union sentiment among 250 local FedEx drivers as it lays the groundwork for a possible unionization vote.

An organizing campaign that began in January “is going absolutely great,” and an election could be coming for the drivers to vote on unionizing, said Jeff Combs, an organizer for Teamsters Local 135 in Indianapolis.

“Hopefully we will be filing for an election in the next 60 to 90 days with the National Labor Relations Board,” Combs said.

FedEx’s drivers have never been unionized. The package delivery company has consistently fought efforts to unionize its drivers, saying they are independent contractors and have no right to unionize under federal law.

Combs said the union has won the support of at least 30 percent of FedEx’s local drivers and is aiming for 50 percent support before it files to hold an election.

The Indianapolis organizing drive is part of a broader push by the Teamsters to organize FedEx drivers nationally. The Teamsters already have filed with the NLRB to hold secret ballot union elections for FedEx workers in eight cities, including Nashville, Tenn.; Newark, N.J.; and Richmond, Va.

Combs said the union’s campaign is feeding on anger among FedEx drivers over small raises in pay, rising health insurance premiums and a company job-performance rating called Scorecard that FedEx began using locally last year.

“You reach a certain number on this Scorecard and they automatically fire you,” Combs said. He called Scorecard “a way to weed out your old workers because they earn more.”

FedEx stopped using Scorecard about a month ago. Combs credited the organizing efforts for the company’s decision to drop Scorecard.

FedEx local spokesperson Paula Bosler denied Combs’ contention that the company stopped using Scorecard because of the union’s criticism. “Changing our approach to driver safety reviews has nothing to do with the Teamsters. We have been reviewing and addressing these issues long before the current union activity.”

She said the company doesn’t think unionization would benefit its drivers.

“FedEx believes the majority of our employees would oppose the Teamsters’ plan to unionize in our service centers. Our thriving, competitive work environment provides a more flexible, team-oriented, and customer-focused work model than the union offers.”

Bosler said healthcare costs are rising only minimally for FedEx workers, by no more than $10 a month this year, while wages for drivers rank among the best in the delivery industry. Drivers can expect a raise in October, she said.

Combs, an assistant to Local 135 President Danny Barton, said FedEx managers are opposing the organization effort by giving anti-union information to drivers in one-on-one and group meetings.

Local 135 is one of the largest union locals in the state, with 14,500 members. About a third of its members are flight attendants at Republic Airways and workers for FedEx rival UPS.

Cactus

FedEx local spokesperson Paula Bosler denied Combs’ contention that the company stopped using Scorecard because of the union’s criticism. “Changing our approach to driver safety reviews has nothing to do with the Teamsters. We have been reviewing and addressing these issues long before the current union activity.”

She said the company doesn’t think unionization would benefit its drivers.

“FedEx believes the majority of our employees would oppose the Teamsters’ plan to unionize in our service centers. Our thriving, competitive work environment provides a more flexible, team-oriented, and customer-focused work model than the union offers.”

Bosler said healthcare costs are rising only minimally for FedEx workers, by no more than $10 a month this year, while wages for drivers rank among the best in the delivery industry. Drivers can expect a raise in October, she said.

:bsbullf:

Our thriving, competitive work environment provides a more flexible, team-oriented, and customer-focused work model than the union offers.”

:rofl:

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
and she managed to say all that while maintaining a straight face???......she is good, .....she is real good - has to be one of Sir Fredward's most favorite lap kitties.

Cactus

and she managed to say all that while maintaining a straight face???......she is good, .....she is real good - has to be one of Sir Fredward's most favorite lap kitties.
One of Fred's senior puppets from the Memphis stable of "talent."

dezguy

She's obviously a desk jockey that's never stepped foot in a station before.

CJinx

They're spokespeople. Their job is to tell the media whatever the company tells them to. Whether or not they personally believe is what they're saying is truthful is irrelevant. Politics!

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I guess she didn't possess the goods to be a prostitute, so she had to settle for the next best thing - FedEx spokesperson

MAKAVELI

They're spokespeople. Their job is to tell the media whatever the company tells them to. Whether or not they personally believe is what they're saying is truthful is irrelevant. Politics!
So are you paid pretty good to ba a FedEx spokesperson?;)

CJinx

So are you paid pretty good to ba a FedEx spokesperson?;)
I am compensated quite well but I'm not a spokesperson. Go ahead and search my post history- I have been critical of this company on more than one occasion. I just don't bitch and complain too much because my relationship with the company has been mutually beneficial and I can't say that I've been treated poorly thus far.

Cactus

Commonly called spreading the PR manure.

El Morado Diablo

We have heard FedEx is lowering the amount of money they are putting into the Health Reimbursement Accounts next year so I would say we are going to get hit with more than a $10 a month increase. I'm sure the big raise we are all getting in October will offset the increases. :(