6:1 Ratio On topic please

RuthlessSupSlayer

I work in a 145+ truck hub and i was asked to stay after peak and gained my seniority in November. I crank :censored2: out and my misload report now looks more like bianry code instead of math book.

With all that said my FT sup says he can work with the center manager to get my a FT spot. I understand and fully respect the seniority chain. But i am trying to get out of my current career as managment. I have come to hate that job and i have enjoyed working preload (i know i am either dumb or crazy i prefer crazy) before I go into my white collar hell. So my sup says he can help make things happen. I cannot switch careers until i pass intergrad.

My questions are:

1. Can he/Center manager make something happen?

2. Can they say they want to use the one that allows them to hire from the street to hire out of seniority order. I would like to think that the union would prefer that over outsider.

Thank you,

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Center managers can't do s anymore... dead end job, only the real strong coolaid drinkers like @dragonbreath still think they are true "partners"...

RuthlessSupSlayer

I kind of figures this was the case that he has no real power and he was just bloviating just to try to get me to work any better.

Q Is it possible to be hired off the street to be a full time permanent driver?
A Yes, but it's uncommon. Most union contracts limit the hiring to one off the street hire per six drivers put on the road. This slot is occasionally used on casual temporary drivers that management wants to make permanent, so it's pretty rare for that slot to be given to someone off the street sight-unseen.

As it pertains to my second question the above quote lead me to belive that managment can have flexibility.

Thanks all,

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
yes and yes, but neither are guarantees at all and completely rely on your manager

The good news is if the outside hire you it's not like you actually have to do anything that would put your current job at risk anyways

The worst thing that could happen is they outside hire you and then DQ you because you suck

have you thought about full-time management? if you have a degree it's pretty likely that you would get a spot and it's a lot more interesting than a white-collar position

RuthlessSupSlayer

yes and yes, but neither are guarantees at all and completely rely on your manager

The good news is if the outside hire you it's not like you actually have to do anything that would put your current job at risk anyways

The worst thing that could happen is they outside hire you and then DQ you because you suck

have you thought about full-time management? if you have a degree it's pretty likely that you would get a spot and it's a lot more interesting than a white-collar position

Thanks this is positive but now contradicts what the previous posts stated. Ugh lol

I doubt i will suck but dont we all say that? I bust my ass and i have 2 misloads per week on 700-1000 piece pull each week so at most.

I want nothing to do with managment for a job. Lol and i say for a couple reasons. First is beneifits arent as nice. Second you get it from both ends....uppper managmemt and then the staff below you so no thanks. Also i have learned that i do not like not being to control the success of work because of other people. Especially with these 20 somethings coming into the workforce now. Thier work ethic is garbage...most of them.

Drivers bust their ass out their and get put through the ringer but they are compensated well enough. That job i would be able to work at my pace.

Thanks this is positive but now contradicts what the previous posts stated. Ugh lol

I doubt i will suck but dont we all say that? I bust my ass and i have 2 misloads per week on 700-1000 piece pull each week so at most.

I want nothing to do with managment for a job. Lol and i say for a couple reasons. First is beneifits arent as nice. Second you get it from both ends....uppper managmemt and then the staff below you so no thanks. Also i have learned that i do not like not being to control the success of work because of other people. Especially with these 20 somethings coming into the workforce now. Thier work ethic is garbage...most of them.

Drivers bust their ass out their and get put through the ringer but they are compensated well enough. That job i would be able to work at my pace.
Why can't you just wait for a driver opening and use your seniority to win the bid? In the meantime drive on Saturdays to gain some experience.

RuthlessSupSlayer

Why can't you just wait for a driver opening and use your seniority to win the bid? In the meantime drive on Saturdays to gain some experience.

I am just trying to get it sooner rather than later because i working 15 hours a day with 3 hours of commute on top of that so the sooner the better.

Plus i only have about 6 months senority. I figured it would be better to hire a union member vs some street walker

As for the Saturday driver. How does that work? Is that a bid as well? Forgive my lack of understanding about that i am aware of the full time driver process.

Thank you for your feedback

Coldworld

60 months and counting

A lot more " interesting"....lol what is that code for???

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
FWIW. It's worth sticking it out. When I started it was just like you. I was commuting 70 miles each way and only working 2-3 days a week if that.

The old timers encouraged me to stick it out and I slowly started working more and more. It took awhile but I finally got a FT bid.

With that big a hub you'll be there soon. It seems that a lot of drivers are starting to see the "light" and are retiring when they can.

oh, keep BC updated. your situation and experience may help other people here. This topic comes up here about once a month.

They have been stringing along one if our part time sups for years. They keep promising him he will be the company pick next time.

At least they don't discriminate against who they screw over..

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
They have been stringing along one if our part time sups for years. They keep promising him he will be the company pick next time.

At least they don't discriminate against who they screw over..
and drivers tell me all the time they're working as quickly as they can safely; scummy people lie on both sides

all the managers i've known have been straightforward about 6-1 hiring, ymmv

Coldworld

60 months and counting
and drivers tell me all the time they're working as quickly as they can safely; scummy people lie on both sides

all the managers i've known have been straightforward about 6-1 hiring, ymmv
You act like you have been here since the dawn of Ups...lmao. Get to be here as long as @Dragon and then report back. Most people don't give a friend about people in I.E...they just don't

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Unfortunately if you work too fast here, you get rewarded with more work.
Not that hard of concept to understand yet we still have guys who want to skip their lunch and breaks or who "brag" about being able to keep up with a 25 year old when they are near or over 55+ and able to get senior discounts at Denny's.... news flash , nobody cares if you can "keep up" with a younger driver...aka upstate. That's not something to be proud about..

Not that hard of concept to understand yet we still have guys who want to skip their lunch and breaks or who "brag" about being able to keep up with a 25 year old when they are near or over 55+ and able to get senior discounts at Denny's.... news flash , nobody cares if you can "keep up" with a younger driver...aka upstate. That's not something to be proud about..
We get paid well to do our job but we don't get any incentive to work faster.
It's always been that way. The mite you do, the more they want you to do.

Just treat us like human beings and it will look better on the quarterly report.