8 Drivers Skip Lunch 1 More Driver Can Be Laid Off

outta hours

Between 1-2 when they are sitting at Burger King, They are laughing while I'm delivering 20 stops. Same difference. We both get in at the same time. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

As long as an hour is documented in the diad, Management doesn't
care.

The difference is that your fellow drivers ARE following the contract you are NOT. They go by the rules, YOU think the rules are for everyone else except for you. Because you are special and know better than the average driver that the contract was intended for.

Of course management does not care, they would much rather have you do 18.5 SPORH in daylight than 15.5 in the dark. Or is there no difference between delivering in daylight or after dark? You know I bet management would not even care if you didn't take any lunch as long as you put it in the DIAD right? So that makes it OK ,or does it?

You don't get the fact that for a hundred years workers fought struggled and sometimes died for the rights that you have at UPS. You would not have the great pay and benefits that you have now if they would have not been united and stood together. If they acted like you do only doing whats best for "yourself" and picking and choosing what rules to follow I promise you UPS would be a much different place now.

Consider yourself lucky that you did not have to endure their hardships. They fought for everything we have. It is our job to fight to keep what we have for future employees and generations.

So yes in my opinion is it a mountain not a molehill. You are entitled to your opinion that's what so great about this place. We can disagree and discuss our differences. I'll give you that,but I cannot give any respect to someone who is so self absorbed that they allow their fellow brothers to suffer due to their selfishness. People are being laid off daily because others are only in it for themselves. You have to look at the repercussions of your actions and how they affect those you do not even know. No one thinks about it until it happens to them. I hope it's not too late before we all realize united we stand divided we fall.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The difference is that your fellow drivers ARE following the contract you are NOT. They go by the rules, YOU think the rules are for everyone else except for you. Because you are special and know better than the average driver that the contract was intended for.

Your post sounds so much better when I imagine patriotic music in the background while I read it.

And for your info - 99/100 drivers could care less when I would take my lunch as long as I take it. And that 1/100 who cares could stick his union book up his wazoo.

My center is hardcore union so if there was ever an issue about me sitting for an hour taking my lunch at 6pm, I havn't heard a peep in 8 years.

Regardless, This thread is about the people who skip their lunches to get home early which WILL put a less-senior driver on the layoff list.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Heff, I also take my lunch toward the end of my day. I complete all of my deliveries and my first round of pickups by 1600. I stop for my break between 1600-1610 and then lunch (dinner) is 1715 to 1800 which I spend at home. I then complete my last 2 pickups and head back to the bldg.

Outta, with all due respect, I do feel that I am following the intent, if not the letter, of the contract, by taking my full 10 min break and 45 min lunch. Your history lesson was unnecessary.

newguy, please be careful as you never know who may be watching. Have you heard of ODS-E? If not, you will and perhaps not in the manner that you would like.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
BS&BRAG has spoken (said in the best wizard of oz voice)

no further posts needed, because BS&BRAG has spoken.

all hail to BS&BRAG

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
you all just sounded the same in that post.

my appologies offered, and a beer or twelve next time i am in your area?

d

An hour of doing nothing at 1pm is the same at 6pm.

You're making it more complicated than it is.
Bottom Line Is Take A Lunch.

The rule to take your lunch between the 4th and 5th hour is there to make sure you do not get harassed or forced into skipping your lunch because of missed commits. Every route is different and a senior driver will know what's the best time to stop and rest.

I tend to take my 20 minute break at 1pm so I can eat my sandwich and place my lunch at the end of the day so I can relax after. Nothing like seeing a fellow driver delivering 20 stops at 6pm while your sitting in the Dunkin Donuts having a coffee listening to satellite radio.

In some areas it's a state law...You can be fired for violating state law and DOT regulations.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Wait, I am hearing people say that they take different breaks besides the 1 hour for lunch. You can take a few minutes as a break, document it, and be paid for it? Is this something in the contract? Something given out center by center or what??

helenofcalifornia

I think calling Newguy a thief is a little bit harsh too. I am like him and would prefer to work straight through lunch and go home. But, since I am forced to take a lunch at an appointed time, I will. And the only reason I do, is because I will lose an hour's worth of pay daily.

I do not need to stop and re-energize my batteries at lunch. But I do need to re-energize my batteries AFTER I stop for lunch. There is a reason for taking siesta's after lunch. Production goes way down for me after lunch. (OK, not that much, but it does decrease) But I do stop for lunch now because we have to. Breaks, though, I always take in the building at the end of the day. (and sitting for those 40 or so minutes is a pain!)

newguy1

whats ODS-E? but i also dont have anything to hide, i take my lunch and start heading back to the building when my lunch hour is over. maybe an additional 5-10 minutes if i had to drop a duece but i also have my 10 minute break that i dont record which would back me up. so whats wrong with that?

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Personally, depending on the route I'm running, I will take my lunch at the end of the day, at least I have been the last couple weeks. Why? Because I hate delivering in the dark, it's just plain slower and more dangerous than in the day time. Now, the rest of the year when it's not dark so damn early, I always try to take my lunch at a more reasonable time, like 2 or 3.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Wait, I am hearing people say that they take different breaks besides the 1 hour for lunch. You can take a few minutes as a break, document it, and be paid for it? Is this something in the contract? Something given out center by center or what??
Yes, it's in the contract, check your supplement or ask your steward. Out here in the Atlantic Area we get a one hour unpaid lunch and a ten minute paid break. I know in some of the supplements out west they get a thirty minute unpaid lunch and two ten minute paid breaks.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
whats ODS-E? but i also dont have anything to hide, i take my lunch and start heading back to the building when my lunch hour is over. maybe an additional 5-10 minutes if i had to drop a duece but i also have my 10 minute break that i dont record which would back me up. so whats wrong with that?
ok guys go ahead and explain to newguy what is wrong with his theory.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ODS-E is a virtual trace of every movement (or non-movement) of the pkg car throughout the day. I understand what you are trying to say as I often do the same thing and, as long as I stay underallowed it will most likely remain a non-issue,, but the additional 5-10 minutes for deuce dropping could come back to bite you in the butt (pun intended) if they wanted to make it an issue. I record 1600-1610 for my break but my next pickup is not until 1625 and my deliveries are done so maybe just one more chocolate frosted...

New Englander

You said you take your hour and sometimes more depending upon how you were poked.

Back peddle all you want - that is stealing.

In NE we get 1 hour lunch unpaid and 2 ten minute breaks paid. After 10 hours we get a 20 minute paid break automatically given to us as time bonus - that one we do not take.