8 Drivers Skip Lunch 1 More Driver Can Be Laid Off

non_bid_dawg

32 routes in 3 centers..
you all just sounded the same in that post.

my appologies offered, and a beer or twelve next time i am in your area?

d

None necessary...I was being silly. I just think It's funny that we all bust our :censored2: at the parcel...then come hear to read and be infuriated about it in our off time...lol

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
................. take my full hour or maybe alittle more depending on how slammed i was that day.
Again, this is what you said, nobody else wrote this for you. This is stealing time from the company. If you are taking extra time then I would strongly advise that you put the time in your diad. I promise you that the company will not care if you have not taken your last break.

New Englander

Again, this is what you said, nobody else wrote this for you. This is stealing time from the company. If you are taking extra time then I would strongly advise that you put the time in your diad. I promise you that the company will not care if you have not taken your last break.

He's a smart one for sure :)

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Only on THE BROWNCAFE can I :

a) Get into a verbal war over taking my lunch at the end of the day because I am apparently [-]bending[/-] breaking the contract in my favor

b) Then read how drivers are being made to be helpers, GOLF CARTS?? being used for delivery, cars being wired for safety violation firings, mass layoffs in January, disregard for Over 9.5 violations, drivers being harrassed for injuries

And for that 3 hour span - I was the scumbucket :wink2:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
No Heff, not a skumbucket. Not at all. I enjoy reading your posts and usually agree with what you say, even if I don't say so. I never meant for you to take anything I said personally.

It was a light hearted jab at myself. I enjoy posting and reading other peoples comments. I would never be offended by what other posters said in disagreement.

EXCEPT Griff - He flamed me so much that bastard:biting:, I do miss his point of view:happy-very:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

a) Get into a verbal war over taking my lunch at the end of the day because I am apparently [-]bending[/-] breaking the contract in my favor

b) Then read how drivers are being made to be helpers, GOLF CARTS?? being used for delivery, cars being wired for safety violation firings, mass layoffs in January, disregard for Over 9.5 violations, drivers being harrassed for injuries

Now you know how BBAG feels ... make sure you are grounded! :hammer:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It was a light hearted jab at myself. I enjoy posting and reading other peoples comments. I would never be offended by what other posters said in disagreement.

EXCEPT Griff - He flamed me so much that bastard:biting:, I do miss his point of view:happy-very:
cool! I don't miss griff however.:wink2:

hdkappler

some drivers told me that in so.il if you don't take a lunch you still get paid for it.since in ca.ups got sued for forcing drivers to work off clock.they have to take a 10min.break.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
some drivers told me that in so.il if you don't take a lunch you still get paid for it.since in ca.ups got sued for forcing drivers to work off clock.they have to take a 10min.break.

There are many interesting threads on the lunch issue. Feel free to search them and find all the answers you are looking for.

:happy-very:Isn't that a nice way to say it:happy-very:

outta hours

Sad thing is some of the things in section B were allowed to begin because drivers thought " it doesn't effect me so I don't care if it's wrong, I do my own thing and they leave me alone". The line becomes blurred and pretty soon nobody knows what is allowed and what is not. And people are taken advantage of. Just like the driver in this thread who's center manager told them they had to take their meal at the end of the day back at the building.

That is why we have a contract so both sides know what is allowed, and what is not. No side deals, special treatments, favoritism,etc. But the key is you have to KNOW what's in the agreement. If you don't they will spin you like a top and tell you up is down and you won't have a clue.

Then you can whine that the union does nothing for you except take your dues money. Do something for yourself, know your contract and be your own advocate. Knowledge is power, don't let management have all the power. You can't play the game well if you don't know the rules.

Peace!

Last edited:

705red

Browncafe Steward
In January when/if layoffs happen it is important that all drivers take their ,lunch between their contractual hours. I know some have said they would rather take it at the end of the day. Now if we all take it at noon and all miss 10 to 15 business stops how long will it take ups to put in another route or two and get our drivers back driving?

Ups is hiring outside sales force people but plan on laying off the bread winners for the company! If we cant stand together to help our brothers and sisters in time of need than we are 100% completely useless!

steeltoe

In January when/if layoffs happen it is important that all drivers take their ,lunch between their contractual hours. I know some have said they would rather take it at the end of the day. Now if we all take it at noon and all miss 10 to 15 business stops how long will it take ups to put in another route or two and get our drivers back driving?

Ups is hiring outside sales force people but plan on laying off the bread winners for the company! If we cant stand together to help our brothers and sisters in time of need than we are 100% completely useless!

705red has it right. I can not understand why this is hard to figure out. If roughly 9 drivers are not taking their lunch in the middle of the day, they are eliminating a potential full-time driving job. Taking lunch at the end of the day is the same as not taking a lunch at all as far as adding full-time jobs to our ranks.

Believe me, I understand the concept of getting home earlier, but sometimes we have to sacrifice ourselves for the better of the whole. Take your lunch according to the contract and let management figure out the delivery and pick up problems.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...You don't get the fact that for a hundred years workers fought struggled and sometimes died for the rights that you have at UPS. You would not have the great pay and benefits that you have now if they would have not been united and stood together.. .

Then they had screwed up priorities.

Would you lay down your life for your 20 minute break?

Sorry - I always hate hearing the "your forefathers" crap.

I do agree everyone needs to take lunch. It is bizarre to me that we are fighting over why some people do & some people don't, when it is just obvious as to why.

New Englander

I do agree everyone needs to take lunch. It is bizarre to me that we are fighting over why some people do & some people don't, when it is just obvious as to why.

Yet their priorities brought you to work here, no?

I hate people who talk out their arse.

happyboy

The only fair solution to ensure all drivers take their lunch is to make the diad shut down during the day for an hour. I have never heard of a job where you lunch hour depends on how fast you work.

outta hours

Yeah priorities like a fair wage and decent working conditions which at the time were non existent. If you don't believe it ask the 10 year old kid today working 18 hrs. a day in Honduras for 35 cents a day. Or in Mexico,China,etc. or any other place where employees are treated poorly still to this day. Or for that matter ask some of the non-union workers in your own area. Ask them how great they have it. Ask a FedEx Ground driver I'm sure he can tell you how nice he is treated and how much money he makes.

The "forefathers crap" is what has given ungrateful, spoiled little boys like you the opportunity to work and earn what you do. I don't expect someone like you to "get it". But don't insult the sacrifices of those who came before you, who worked to give you what you have now and take for granted.

It was our internet forefathers who laid down their lives so you could go online and complain about their crap.

McLeod

People please take your lunch at lunch time any time after the 3rd hour of work. So what if you deliver after dark, if business will be missed let them know why. If you are taking your lunch at appropriate time and they have overloaded with business stops it is dispatches problem. Just communicate with them!! It works, and soon you will get a better dispatch. At least it did for me.