8 Drivers Skip Lunch 1 More Driver Can Be Laid Off

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'll give you that $8.50 is a joke to start at ups, but how many jobs do you know of were you can go from $8.50 to $16.10 an hour in under a year?

And than within 36 months from that be making $30 plus topping out at $32 an hour and change?

How many fulltimers voted against the contract to help out the ptimers?

This is not a slam at mt ptime friends here on this site, but how can you expect a ftimer to risk everything for a ptimer when they wont even take the time to help themselves?

In 97 everyone stood shoulder to shoulder together in unity, and here we are 11 years later and we couldn't be farther apart!

I remember were i came from the ptime ranks and i also had to suffer for 5 years to get this ftime job and than another 2 and a half to see top out pay for a total of 7 and half years, now the newbies see it in under 4 years!

Kind of sad isn't Red. To many people only worried about "me". Reading through these posts I see way to many people with the whats good for me and the rest of you guys be damned attitude.

Organized labor wasn't conceived or achieved overnight or even within a generation. It came into being with intention of curbing the greed of business owner who exploited the front line worker. Many people sacrificed and suffered to put into place the unions that still survive today. To ignore that history as was alluded to in a previous post is nothing more than selfish arrogance. Think about our history as a country and some of our national holidays. Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, etc. I've got one, how about Labor Day?

Wake up people! In this era of corporate greed our union is more important than it has been in many years. A good union is only as strong as the sum of its parts. Our strength can be found in unity, but quite frankly I'm not seeing it. It baffles me to see people fighting for the ability to skip their lunch break. It is simply moronic.

Overpaid Union Thug

The best way to solve this would be to fix the DIADs so that they "go to sleep" during the lunch break. Just like they do in some areas of California. We would still be able to divide our lunches like always but would have to enter a starting and ending time each time and the DIAD would go to sleep during those times.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The best way to solve this would be to fix the DIADs so that they "go to sleep" during the lunch break. Just like they do in some areas of California. We would still be able to divide our lunches like always but would have to enter a starting and ending time each time and the DIAD would go to sleep during those times.

For that to happen the company would have to decide to put an end to this free labor program. Without the presence of another class action law suite this simply wont happen. With things as they are the company can lean on the fact that they have been instructing us to take our lunch as well as paying us when we don't. All the while turning a blind eye to the guys that enter a lunch while continuing to work. The latter being the company's goal.

upsman68

I understand about taking your lunch but sometimes I have to. When your kids expect you to be at a play or a ballgame you try to be there. These are events that you can attend only once in their lives. Every heard of cat in the cradle song. You ask for an 8 hour day and it is denied. You have no only choice.

JustTired

free at last.......
Well...it's been a year. I guess it's time to run this again.

Once upon a time, there was a driver named Joe. He would go to work every day,deliver his packages all morning, stop for lunch,deliver and pickup his packages all afternoon, return to the building and go home in time to watch Joe Jr. play baseball.
One day the company decided to change the allowance on his route. Suddenly Joe finds that he has more work than he used to have and can't get done in time to get home and watch Jr. play baseball like he used to.
So Joe decides that the only way he can make it home in time is to skip his lunch. This works well and again he can make it home in time for the game.
The company notices that even though Joe has more work, he is getting done at the same time he used to before the added work. So they decide to give him more work. Now Joe is back to working more hours and missing Jr's games. So Joe decides that if he can't make the games, then he will go back to taking his lunch. Besides, he missed the chance to relax a little in the middle of the day and could feel his health was suffering somewhat because of it.
But wait, now if Joe takes his lunch, he will have missed business deliveries and missed pickups. He won't get his air packages and pickups back in time,either. Joe complains that he doesn't have time to take a lunch, but the complaint falls on deaf ears. After all, he set the precedent by skipping his lunch all that time.
Now Joe has committed himself to a life of calling for some one to come get his pickup volume off of him daily. If he wants to see a game or interact with his family, he has to take a day off. He is working harder than he had to by not taking his lunch every day. And while those games he did get to see will no doubt have good memories for him, he will end up spending the rest of his working life paying for them.
This scenario is playing itself out in centers all across the country. And while there is no easy answer, skipping your lunch is not one of them. That 1/2 hr or hour that you were entitled to will just be replaced with more work if you choose not to take it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that's what's happening. JUST TAKE YOUR LUNCH!! Everything else is pretty much out of control.

The whole thread is here. http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/a-lunch-story.104289/

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Wake up people! In this era of corporate greed our union is more important than it has been in many years. A good union is only as strong as the sum of its parts. Our strength can be found in unity, but quite frankly I'm not seeing it. It baffles me to see people fighting for the ability to skip their lunch break. It is simply moronic.

Era of Corporate Greed - how long did it take to dust that one off?

Some people, the scoundrels that they are, have priorities above what they do for a living.

helenofcalifornia

Anybody got a link to Feeder News Network? Can't find it online.

Our boards are locked out for an hour during lunch in California. (Some people can message in and request 1/2 hour "to make service commitments" if needed) Long gone are the days of working through lunch.

rod

Retired 22 years
Anybody got a link to Feeder News Network? Can't find it online.

Our boards are locked out for an hour during lunch in California. (Some people can message in and request 1/2 hour "to make service commitments" if needed) Long gone are the days of working through lunch.

So how does this work? Is everyones board locked at a certain time of day or does it lock up when you enter your start break time?

browndevil

So how does this work? Is everyones board locked at a certain time of day or does it lock up when you enter your start break time?
It locks when you punch out for lunch and says something like" per local rules no work is permitted" The DIAD gives a prompt when there is five minutes left for lunch and then another when your hour is up.
It really isn't any big deal anymore we have been punching out for lunch for about 4 years now.

rod

Retired 22 years
It locks when you punch out for lunch and says something like" per local rules no work is permitted" The DIAD gives a prompt when there is five minutes left for lunch and then another when your hour is up.
It really isn't any big deal anymore we have been punching out for lunch for about 4 years now.
interesting--

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have been on the same route in a small town for 15 yrs and I have lost count of how many times a customer has approached me while I am eating lunch to ask me if I have a package for them. I am always more than happy to walk out to the truck and get the package for the customer, its good service and I just add a minute or two on to the end of my lunch so I'm not working for free. I would hate to be "locked out" of the DIAD and have to tell the customer that they will have to sit and wait for another 42 minutes before I can give them the urgent package (check? airline tickets? signiature required box of wine?) that they need ASAP.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I always do to Sober, may not like it, might bitch to myself about it, but I generally do it. I even manage to smile and tell em to have a nice day!

screamin chicken

My first 3 years as a driver I would work through my lunch and be home at 2-3 doing 130-140 stops but I was getting 3 hrs. bonus pay each day so missing a hr. and gaining 2 hrs. bonous was awesome. I can not get bonous anymore so I have been taking my hr. and 10 everyday and will not skip my lunch since the change in the company, in fact in my district you have to have your hour in or you will be getting a warning letter.

S

speeddemon

I understand about taking your lunch but sometimes I have to. When your kids expect you to be at a play or a ballgame you try to be there. These are events that you can attend only once in their lives. Every heard of cat in the cradle song. You ask for an 8 hour day and it is denied. You have no only choice.

I save my lunch for the end of the day and take it at my sons soccer game. I am very fortunate in that the ball fileds are very close to my route.