8 hour guarantee?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I was told that the company considers you on call. But the union considers you to be laid off. Thats why you don't get guaranteed work. You get 8 hours only if they call you in

710 steward

Not in your area, but our contract the 8 hour rule is iron clad. If you make me come in I have the right to 8 hours of pay guaranteed. The only way a pay actual ever happens is if I agree to it.

That is called individual bargaining and is against the contract. If you punch in you just agreed to 8 hours of work.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
UPSmechanicinblue,

I would recommended filing on the issue and sort out the contract language you would use.

Paid for time would be one that could be a fall back.

Hourly employees should be compensated for time on call.

If it were me, I would contact my steward, tell him I want to file and ask for assistance in putting together the most reasonable grievance possible all things considered. JMHO.

Sincerely,
I

Would Jesus file a grievance or, turn the other cheek?

710 steward

What if they call you and say they have 5 hours of work and ask you if you want it? I would think it would be better to work 5 hours than to not work at all.

Do you think part time package car drivers is the way to go? That's a great way for the company to start to eliminate full time jobs. If they call you and offer you 5 you can file for the other three. Again, that's individual bargaining.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you think part time package car drivers is the way to go? That's a great way for the company to start to eliminate full time jobs. If they call you and offer you 5 you can file for the other three. Again, that's individual bargaining.

If they call and offer you 5 and you request (demand?) your guarantee they can say that you are not needed and you will get nothing.

A young driver with a growing family would be best served to not follow your advice.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If they call and offer you 5 and you request (demand?) your guarantee they can say that you are not needed and you will get nothing.

A young driver with a growing family would be best served to not follow your advice.
Screenshot_2015-01-11-07-35-09.png

710 steward

Welcome to part time America. In 710 if enough drivers work over 9.5 hours in a day that add up to 8 hours that laid off driver can file for the day and never leave their home. If you are looking for part time package car drivers you can kiss what's left of your pension good bye.

There are bumping procedures in place as well. Not sure how all of the supplements play out but if one isn't driving they can bump into the sorts. There are ways to get 40 hours. You may not get to sleep in til 7 but you'll pay the bills.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am talking about casual/cover drivers who are not guaranteed to work every day.

I spent 11 months as a casual. I was told to call in at least an hour before start time if not already scheduled to work. I was a young father with two young children who did not have the luxury of saying "thanks, but no thanks" if I were offered less than 8 hours of work. Most of the time if I came in to work for hours I ended up working 8 or more hours.

Christmas Eve was an exception. Our center offered Code 05 to those who wanted it while making sure the guarantee was available to those who wanted it. Most of the guys were ready for Peak to be over and wanted to get home to their families so they chose to go 05.

I understand what you are talking about but you need to realize that to a young driver 5-6 hours is better than none at all.

710 steward

I am talking about casual/cover drivers who are not guaranteed to work every day.

I spent 11 months as a casual. I was told to call in at least an hour before start time if not already scheduled to work. I was a young father with two young children who did not have the luxury of saying "thanks, but no thanks" if I were offered less than 8 hours of work. Most of the time if I came in to work for hours I ended up working 8 or more hours.

Christmas Eve was an exception. Our center offered Code 05 to those who wanted it while making sure the guarantee was available to those who wanted it. Most of the guys were ready for Peak to be over and wanted to get home to their families so they chose to go 05.

I understand what you are talking about but you need to realize that to a young driver 5-6 hours is better than none at all.

That's just it. I do understand. Do you?? That is opening the door and don't think UPS isn't dying to create permanent part time casuals on the payroll. Hey Teamsters look how often these guys are passing on 8 hours. Let's create these jobs after all no one wants to work anyway. You have your job but do you seriously care about those behind you? The easy fix today kills tomorrow. If you really want to help then continually encourage all to work their guarantee. If you remain passive and I believe you will, then help UPS create more full time positions. Then you'll be able to watch your 50% contribution pension go even lower. Not smart.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the issues hurting our pension fund are those drivers who take dead days, for which the fund does not receive pension contributions. Thankfully our new center manager requires drivers to use all of their paid days before allowing dead days.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That is called individual bargaining and is against the contract. If you punch in you just agreed to 8 hours of work.
No it is not. At least not in the Central. It is in the supplement to allow you to work actual and forfeit your 8 hour guarantee. The employee has to agree with it though. UPS cannot force you to work actual.

710 steward

No it is not. At least not in the Central. It is in the supplement to allow you to work actual and forfeit your 8 hour guarantee. The employee has to agree with it though. UPS cannot force you to work actual.

710's is different. That should not even be an option. That is a great way to eliminate full time positions.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
710's is different. That should not even be an option. That is a great way to eliminate full time positions.

I am not arguing whether it is right or wrong or should or should not be an option. I am just stating that it is not individual bargaining and it is not against the contract in the Central.

It may be in 710, but not in the Central.

AKCoverMan

One of the issues hurting our pension fund are those drivers who take dead days, for which the fund does not receive pension contributions. Thankfully our new center manager requires drivers to use all of their paid days before allowing dead days.
Maybe yours works different. Here the most pension credit I can get in a year is 2080 hours so taking a dead day is not going to change pension contribution one penny.

Since I always work far in excess of that I never worry about dead days. They don't come along that often but I'll take one now and again when they do.

The same thing applies to code 05. The opportunity for an early day is rare. I fully understand and appreciate that I have the RIGHT to 8 hours pay but I expect to have to perform 8 hours of work for it. Sometimes on the rare day where I only have 6 hours of work and have the opportunity to be done I am happy with that. I don't feel an OBLIGATION to demand more work, I get aplenty. The rare code 05 day or dead day puts me one day closer to retirement without putting my body thru an 11 hour day!

Fragile

Thank god for the center manager, always looking out for the drivers and union's pension fund best interest! What a god send!

NEWS FLASH BRO.

-Drivers will always go home when they are over and management knows this. No matter what the union/stewards do they will always go home.

-The optional/sick days will get paid out anyway whether they use them or not so it doesn't matter the contributions are the same. It's not like the health and welfare funds are getting extra contributions because drivers are using paid time off.

-The center manager wants you to use all your days, ASAP. That way he/she insures you run out of paid time off and only take a day off at their convenience when they are over drivers. Can't call out sick and not get into trouble when you don't have sick days left now can ya? So now when you are sick and you don't have days left because you've been going home over the course of the year and you call out they're going to try to discipline you and all of a sudden you have a attendance problem. You're going to go in that office and they're going to throw the fact that they've hooked you up with plenty of time off and you screwed them by banging out when they needed you. Guess what, your shop steward isn't going to care because you chose to go home you have to deal with the consequences.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What if they call you and say they have 5 hours of work and ask you if you want it? I would think it would be better to work 5 hours than to not work at all.
At least here they would work people code 5 pretty regularly. ..code 5 now never happens..it messes with their stops per car...they just split the work up between 4 or 5 drivers

By The Book

I have no problem with drivers going home when they are over. This time of year it keeps the guys on the bottom working. Since the center is told how many routes to run anyway I don't see a way to keep everyone working.