8 hour guarantee?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no problem with drivers going home when they are over. This time of year it keeps the guys on the bottom working. Since the center is told how many routes to run anyway I don't see a way to keep everyone working.

The problem I have with dead days is that there have been repeated instances in the past in my center where junior drivers have been denied a day off in favor of a senior guy who takes numerous dead days yet still has days on the books. Our new center manager makes us use all of our paid time before letting us take unpaid days.

It is hard to find the balance between keeping the young guys working while making sure the senior guys don't squirrel away their paid days to be used later in the year.

upschuck

The problem I have with dead days is that there have been repeated instances in the past in my center where junior drivers have been denied a day off in favor of a senior guy who takes numerous dead days yet still has days on the books. Our new center manager makes us use all of our paid time before letting us take unpaid days.
That is the way it should be.

upschuck

I should mention that our center manager drove for 12 years so he has been through most if not all of what we go through.
Hopefully that makes him a better center manager than most, and that he doesn't forget what it is like. Is this the same guy that you were worried about when he came in last year?

By The Book

It is hard to find the balance between keeping the young guys working while making sure the senior guys don't squirrel away their paid days to be used later in the year.
Good point!

Dr.Brownz

So they are talking of forcing work saturday for V-day. Is there an 8-hour gurantee on this type of stuff? Our stewards seem to be conflicted on this. Anyone have experience?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So they are talking of forcing work saturday for V-day. Is there an 8-hour gurantee on this type of stuff? Our stewards seem to be conflicted on this. Anyone have experience?
What is v-day? Whatever it is, in the Central it does not matter. If UPS requires you to work, you can request your 8 hour guarantee. No ands, if or buts.

Dr.Brownz

What is v-day? Whatever it is, in the Central it does not matter. If UPS requires you to work, you can request your 8 hour guarantee. No ands, if or buts.

Valentines Day

and my steward confirmed what you said, except I'm in the West. Talked to my center manager told me I would be paid 8 no matter how few hours I worked.

SHAIV

No it is not. At least not in the Central. It is in the supplement to allow you to work actual and forfeit your 8 hour guarantee. The employee has to agree with it though. UPS cannot force you to work actual.
My sup waited till I got back to clock out one day and said oh you are supposed to be code 05 today. I was like what? Wouldn't I have to be notified before I go to clock out?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My sup waited till I got back to clock out one day and said oh you are supposed to be code 05 today. I was like what? Wouldn't I have to be notified before I go to clock out?
You have an 8 hour guarantee if they put you to work. That guarantee can only be broken by you.

They can ask if you want actual before you leave. They can ask if you want actual once you get back. They can ask all they want. You do not have to accept. If you want your 8, tell them no 05.

Now if you get back after only 7 hours and go to punch out thinking that you are getting paid for 8 and your sup asks you to work actual, and you say no, that you want your 8, be prepared to do some kind of work for the next hour.

If you don't mind and would rather get home a little early, tell them OK. But it is your choice and your choice alone.

UPSmechanicinblue

If my boss called me and told me I was "on call" I would take that as I have the day off if I want it and not answer the phone if UPS called back. On the other hand if he told me I was on call and I wanted to work I'd show up on time and request me 8 hrs.
Now being I'm the only mechanic so I'm lowest seniority is this true? If I'm told they will call me if needed but I don't have to answer the phone?