8 hour requests are a joke here.

BCFan

Busting ass for 11 hours on a hot day so that a guy in your loop can make it to his kids baseball game or school function is a lot different than busting ass for 11 hours on a hot day so that a guy in your loop can prove some sort of point or be a PITA to management. Yes, the 8 hr language is a contractual right that we are entitled to...but exercising that right has a direct effect on the daily lives of our coworkers and their families and I try to at least have some consideration for those coworkers by only exercising that right when I have a compelling reason to do so.
Dude it's always management trying to pit hourly against one another it's marine corp mentality. Don't drink the koolaid it's deadly for us! We are not haters of each other rather brothers from another mother. It's not our fault that management under staffs. Its not our fault that management fails on a daily basis to understand real world dynamics .....BC

Overpaid Union Thug

Dude it's always management trying to pit hourly against one another it's marine corp mentality. Don't drink the koolaid it's deadly for us! We are not haters of each other rather brothers from another mother. It's not our fault that management under staffs. Its not our fault that management fails on a daily basis to understand real world dynamics .....BC
Actually.....in my center management doesn't need to pit hourlies against each other. The hourlies do a pretty good job of doing that themselves. I, as well as plenty of others, routinely get screwed by other drivers due to their selfish behavior more than management. And I'm not only talking about 8 hour requests.

Let me put it this way.....there are plenty of routes in my center that the majority of the drivers avoid because they are adjacent to certain drivers that always seem to have issues that result in more work for those around them. Or even farther away. There always seems to be NDAs that everyone else knows they should get but is pawned off to an adjacent route. Or certain roads, areas, or stops they refuse to get for no other reason other than the fact that they just don't want to go there.

They expect management and their fellow drivers to bend over backwards to accommodate their needs but throw a fit when they are asked help the very people that routinely pick up their slack. In my center those are the people that typically have two 8 hour requests per month. Them, and the people that request them as a way to "get back at management" or because they know it will probably be easy grievance money, combined can make things a little more complicated for the rest of us. But the drivers that use them to get home earlier once in a while have something going on after work cause little to know problems. I've never had an 8 hour request but I'm not saying that I will never will. What I am saying is that I won't make a habit of it just because I can.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
we had peak vacations today and the usual Friday Call ins so of course all 8 hour requests today were denied. I'll file for 2 hours of straight time Monday and still have 2 requests left for the month since this wasnt honored.
I couldn't care less what those who dont work the system in their favor have to say about those of us who DO work it into our favor<shrug>

we had peak vacations today and the usual Friday Call ins so of course all 8 hour requests today were denied. I'll file for 2 hours of straight time Monday and still have 2 requests left for the month since this wasnt honored.
I couldn't care less what those who dont work the system in their favor have to say about those of us who DO work it into our favor<shrug>
Free beer money!

My record was, getting penalty pay for 17, 8 hour days!
Haven't been turned down since!

They are more like 7 hour days.

love seeing,guarantee....on the pay stub!

O

OLDMAN3

I really can't sympathize with drivers who blame others for taking 2 eight hour days a month, or asking for help. Under-staffing is not the fault of your fellow driver!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Actually.....in my center management doesn't need to pit hourlies against each other. The hourlies do a pretty good job of doing that themselves. I, as well as plenty of others, routinely get screwed by other drivers due to their selfish behavior more than management. And I'm not only talking about 8 hour requests.

Let me put it this way.....there are plenty of routes in my center that the majority of the drivers avoid because they are adjacent to certain drivers that always seem to have issues that result in more work for those around them. Or even farther away. There always seems to be NDAs that everyone else knows they should get but is pawned off to an adjacent route. Or certain roads, areas, or stops they refuse to get for no other reason other than the fact that they just don't want to go there.

They expect management and their fellow drivers to bend over backwards to accommodate their needs but throw a fit when they are asked help the very people that routinely pick up their slack. In my center those are the people that typically have two 8 hour requests per month. Them, and the people that request them as a way to "get back at management" or because they know it will probably be easy grievance money, combined can make things a little more complicated for the rest of us. But the drivers that use them to get home earlier once in a while have something going on after work cause little to know problems. I've never had an 8 hour request but I'm not saying that I will never will. What I am saying is that I won't make a habit of it just because I can.
Drivers like you are what management loves. Do more. Just do it. Faster, faster , faster. Lol. You will learn one day your thinking is way off.

Overpaid Union Thug

Drivers like you are what management loves. Do more. Just do it. Faster, faster , faster. Lol. You will learn one day your thinking is way off.

Actually I rarely scratch and barely scratch when I do. The bid drivers of the routes I typically cover prefer that I cover their routes when they are out. Some will even ask me to before they go on their vacations. The runners and gunners are the ones that have all the issues and request 8 hour days just out of spite and because they can. All while not realizing that it was their running and gunning that caused most of our routes to get more and more work piled on as time studies were compensated to match their bad habits. And now they have to request 8 hour days to try and bring down the work loads that THEY caused to get added over the years.

And all the comments about this being a dispatch problem are correct. But these runners and gunners are, as I just explained, every bit as responsible for them as management is.

So....you were saying something about my thinking being off?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Actually I rarely scratch and barely scratch when I do. The bid drivers of the routes I typically cover prefer that I cover their routes when they are out. Some will even ask me to before they go on their vacations. The runners and gunners are the ones that have all the issues and request 8 hour days just out of spite and because they can. All while not realizing that it was their running and gunning that caused most of our routes to get more and more work piled on as time studies were compensated to match their bad habits. And now they have to request 8 hour days to try and bring down the work loads that THEY caused to get added over the years.

And all the comments about this being a dispatch problem are correct. But these runners and gunners are, as I just explained, every bit as responsible for them as management is.

So....you were saying something about my thinking being off?
You state good points in this post, however, I stand by my saying your previous post is reprehensible. You seem to be a good guy with a lot of knowledge , but you also have a very wrong view of your fellow drivers who are trying to follow methods and service there customers. I stand by my previous post Ps. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Fortunately it wasn't critical, just wanted to get started on vaca without the blow out dispatch holding me back. Still my 8 hr request turned into a 9.5.
Surprise surprise.
Just curious, how does penalty pay for that work and is it worth the trouble?
Too bad you aren't in the central. We just bring it back at 8 hours.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I really can't sympathize with drivers who blame others for taking 2 eight hour days a month, or asking for help. Under-staffing is not the fault of your fellow driver!
I try to take all 3 of my eight hour requests every month. This job wears the body down. Why wouldn't I take 3 easy days a month if they are there for me to use?

Overpaid Union Thug

You state good points in this post, however, I stand by my saying your previous post is reprehensible. You seem to be a good guy with a lot of knowledge , but you also have a very wrong view of your fellow drivers who are trying to follow methods and service there customers. I stand by my previous post Ps. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Please re-read my description of our drivers that frequently (not the guys that do so to be off early to attend planned after work functions or simply want a break from the OT once in a while) request 8 hour days. Pay special attention to the other problems I mentioned and how they are all connected. There is no contradiction there with anything else I've said about this topic. I can assure you that most of them are not following the methods. And I want to make it crystal clear that it is these guys, and ONLY these guys, that I'm talking about. At least the guys that constantly request 8 hours only for the "free" money don't affect their fellow drivers' dispatches. In fact, they are probably even slower than I am to help facilitate those grievances LOL!

oldngray

nowhere special
Some people put in 8 hour requests on the theory that it would force UPS to aff more routes. Almost never happens. A center manager usually is not allowed to add more routes regardless of need, so an 8 hour request means other drivers get slammed with stops and frequent service failures. The new UPS - "It's Not About Service".

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Holy crap this b!tchfest made it 8 pages before runners got the blame..Even with brown monster's provocation. Holy crap

BrownTexas

These people don't control you. Get on the 9.5 list and you don't have to worry about them. Plan and simple.

9.5er

I will continue to use my 8 hour request when I see fit. In fact I have one in for this coming Friday. It is not to screw with management or my fellow workers. It is so I can have a decent day for a change.
I welcome my fellow drivers to do the same and I do not complain when I get extra work so they can have their 8 hr request.