8 keys lifting/loading & 5 keys to prevent slips and falls?

MobileBA

N.C.O.E. (not condition of employment), best effort that's all that UPS can expect and memorization and studying should be done on the clock.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

5 Keys to Prevent Slips/Falls

1. Walk at a brisk pace--don't run.

2. Establish firm footing and maintain your balance.

3. Do not walk on coveyor roller, chutes or slides.

4. Look before stepping.

5. Make adjustments for changing conditions.

8 Keys to Lifting and Lowering

1. Get close to the object--work within your Power Zone.

2. Position your feet shoulder width apart, one slightly ahead of the other.

3. Bend at the knees--keep the natural curve of your back.

4. Test the object for weight and shifting contents.

5. Get a firm grip and grasp opposite corners.

6. Lift with a smooth steady motion--don't jerk.

7. Move your feet. Step or pivot--don't twist.

8. Use existing equipment for facilities to assist in the lift or lower.

Hope this helps. Dave.

curiousbrain

I'll also add a quick thought. Supervisors like to quiz you on them (also the Yard Control rules) from time to time, and my initial experience has taught me that if you rattle them off, rapid fire, thus proving that you really know them, they don't ask you about them for awhile; if you sort of stumble around, they'll ask you next week.

Also, maybe be prepared to provide the answers while working (thus it helps to really know them); some supervisors will ask that you don't stop working.

My own experience; your mileage may vary.

grandma

you're right, the supervisors ask me this often. i don't mind remembering them on or off the clock. all of my supervisors are so nice I would be willing to do anything for them. asking me to memorize this crap that is common sense and also designed to help me so that I don't injure myself is the least I can do for them. they aren't asking me to memorize their job, they are asking me to memorize my job. my only problem is that I have a hard time memorizing or putting into words common sense. I just know it in my mind, but have a hard time saying it.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
you're right, the supervisors ask me this often. i don't mind remembering them on or off the clock. all of my supervisors are so nice I would be willing to do anything for them. asking me to memorize this crap that is common sense and also designed to help me so that I don't injure myself is the least I can do for them. they aren't asking me to memorize their job, they are asking me to memorize my job. my only problem is that I have a hard time memorizing or putting into words common sense. I just know it in my mind, but have a hard time saying it.

You shouldn't do ANY work off the clock. If they want you to memorize it, do it on their time. What if they wanted you to load a truck while you weren't getting paid?

Where do you draw the line?

SALTY

we were told two months a go that we could code 15 min. of time to memorize all that stuff. There are alot of us drivers that dont know it all yet"verbatium"...like they said it was required. So this morning the sup. said he would chose one employee to go in the office with the ctr manager and a union steward and if he didnt know it, it was a warning letter, if he dont know it in 2 days it a 3 day suspension, and 2 more days after that its termination. so i told my sup. how do i code the memorization training in my diad and he said "we are not going to pay you to learn this, this has to be learned on your own time... we paid you for 15 min. 2 months ago to get it learned". So now he is demanding that i work off the clock to get this learned. 15 min. wasnt enough time to learn all that stuff.....what are some of your thoughts? would you work for free, would you call the 800 # and tell them that a supe. demanded that this stuff be learned on our own time?

menotyou

bella amicizia
It it meant my job I would learn the stuff on my own time.
Where is the line that Almighty Upstate deems it to be drawn? How about the first 15 minutes after break for free, because it will be your job as we aren't making our production number? How about free air deliveries by you as it will be your job because competition is fierce. Where, oh where, does Mr. Perfect from the Bubble of Goodness draw the line?
Please enlighten us, O mighty one.

stkbow

is this posted anywhere on this site? i need to memorize them by tonight. thanks.
I have them.. think of them as your doing it.
1. Get close (keep object in power zone)
2. position feet (back and curv)
3- test for weight and shifting contents
4-lift with smooth steady motiion
5- lift opposite coroners
6- lift smooth steady motions
7-move your feet
8- use existing eupment

5 keys
walk don't run
firm footing
never walk on on roller chutes slides conveyors
look
adjust based on weather

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have them.. think of them as your doing it.
1. Get close (keep object in power zone)
2. position feet (back and curv)
3- test for weight and shifting contents
4-lift with smooth steady motiion
5- lift opposite coroners
6- lift smooth steady motions
7-move your feet
8- use existing eupment

5 keys
walk don't run
firm footing
never walk on on roller chutes slides conveyors
look
adjust based on weather

What are opposite coroners? Is that where you have one who says the person is dead while the others says the person is still alive?

Your last of the 5 keys should read "adjust based on changing conditions".

stkbow

Okay so after posting this I read all the posts... yes if you must know. I will learn after work. Yes, I will play there games in our way. yes I will feed my family! Yes I will stand up for when things are wrong!!! However I will pick my battles! and spending some time after work is not that hard.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Okay so after posting this I read all the posts... yes if you must know. I will learn after work. Yes, I will play there games in our way. yes I will feed my family! Yes I will stand up for when things are wrong!!! However I will pick my battles! and spending some time after work is not that hard.

You sound like someone who has their priorities as they should be. Yes, they should be paying you to learn this material but, if they are not willing to do that, the alternative is to take a few minutes of your personal time to do so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I said before, if it meant putting food on my table and a roof over my head I would absolutely use my personal time to learn the DOK material.

Whenever we have a mock Keter or actual Keter I am always one of the ones chosen to be interviewed. I will take some time during the day to go over the material and will review it that evening and the following morning, both on my own time. That is certainly my choice. As stkbow said, it is all about picking battles and this is one that I choose not to fight.

I don't think the company has any basis to fire people simply because they cannot or are unwilling to learn the material. I don't recall this being a condition of my employment when I was hired in 1989. I do agree that we should be paid to learn the DOK material; however, this is not an issue that I am willing to lose my job over.

stkbow

If that's the slope you slide on then... I would not follow you. I will climb up a hill! There are slopes. Then there are Mountains and to get to the peak you travel over many hills and slopes ...

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had a DM standing behind an auditor who was quizzing my co-worker and myself on the 10 point commentary. I froze. I couldn't remember my own name, I froze so bad. Billy didn't do much better. The DM, who now has the airport, had his arms waving in the air, mouthing the words to it. She caught him. She told him that I needed more training and that she better never catch him coaching someone, again. The Keter Audit is meant to evaluate the effectiveness of how management trains, along with ensuring safety.

My father would have my head if I worked off the clock.