81 drivers termanated metro Det

crazygill

we got the word that 81 drivers got the term letter in mail last week in metro Det Dis for the form we fill out every year about our tickets for the year. ?????

ups1990

Sounds excessive for it to be a reason of integrity on this particular form. Could it be layoffs? or a rumor?.

retired2000

we fill out those forms every year to. i really thought ups had someone do something with them. but, one year we had a feeder driver fired becase of the form. seems the driver had their cdl lics. susp about 5 years before and never told ups about it. so maybe it is just a spot check system they use.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

we fill out those forms every year to. i really thought ups had someone do something with them. but, one year we had a feeder driver fired becase of the form. seems the driver had their cdl lics. susp about 5 years before and never told ups about it. so maybe it is just a spot check system they use.

I just checked the NYS DMV website and it costs $10 to request an abstract of your license. Multiply that by the number of drivers and you can see where this can add up. You may be right in that they use a spot check system.

Back to the OP, I am curious as to how many drivers there are in the Metro Detroit District. 81 drivers does sound like a lot but if there are 8100 drivers in that district than we are talking 1%, which is a fairly small number.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Actually, there is no Metro Detroit district anymore. It is the Michigan District and covers all of Michigan and Toledo, OH. I haven't heard about the 81 drivers losing their jobs but we had 1 in Toledo that chose to resign rather than go to state because of this.

brett636

Here in Indiana a couple of years ago our BMV was upgrading to a new computer system to keep track of driver records and making getting in and out of a BMV branch simpler. Well as with most new systems this one had glitches, and people with clean driving records were getting arrested and their cars towed because the computer said their license was suspended, or they had a DUI when they did not, etc. It was a mess, and the worst part about it is those who had their cars towed were simply told "sorry about your luck". If that many drivers were terminated over this I wonder if this exact situation may have been the cause.

wannabeups

Here in Indiana a couple of years ago our BMV was upgrading to a new computer system to keep track of driver records and making getting in and out of a BMV branch simpler. Well as with most new systems this one had glitches, and people with clean driving records were getting arrested and their cars towed because the computer said their license was suspended, or they had a DUI when they did not, etc. It was a mess, and the worst part about it is those who had their cars towed were simply told "sorry about your luck". If that many drivers were terminated over this I wonder if this exact situation may have been the cause.

Someone should have gotten their arse kicked over this.

browned out

This thread was bogus.

The thread is bogus. I am a driver in metro det and the truth of the matter follows. We had implemented PAS and EDD about a year and a half ago. This added about 10 to 20 stops on average extra per driver. This eliminated alot of routes. Ad this to the horrible economy especially in Michigan and even more rtes were eliminated.

So UPS closed the oakland center. It was very close to the newer hub in Madison Hts. which had more spots for rtes due to the implementation of PAS. 81 full and part time employees were affected. Most followed their work to the hub or neighboring centers. The others followed the bumping procedure. Very few jobs were eliminated.

Unless there is another story that we have not heard of. This is what happened.