LarryBird

Obviously it was a day that anyone who was alive at the time had seared into their minds forever, so...

Where were you at when you heard the news?

Where were you at when you 1st saw the video of the planes hitting the towers?

I know Memorial Day is a holiday to honor those who died in the service of the US Armed Forces, but it's also a day I believe that we should remember those who died trying to save lives in the towers, at the Pentagon, and over PA that day.

Plus these events directly led to the war in Afghanistan that is responsible for the deaths of approximately 2,400 American soldiers so I think it's a valid discussion on Memorial Day.

turq

Making a delivery to a grocery store. The lady who worked the dock told me to come in to the break room, where it was on TV.

LarryBird

I was on the roof of a large refrigerated warehouse/slaughterhouse called Atlantic Veal - we were tearing off and putting a new EPDM rubber roof on for my dad's roofing company. It was probably one of the nicest days of the year and we were jamming to tunes and having laughs all around, busting ass and whatnot - then the radio was interrupted and :censored2: got real.

We didn't have any chance to actually SEE the events until like 3 or 4pm that afternoon after work when we stopped for cold beers at a place called Beaner's Wait-a-Minute Bar - it was obviously nuts to have heard about all of these things all day but not having actually seen them. I remember there were some people crying.

turq

I was on the roof of a large refrigerated warehouse/slaughterhouse called Atlantic Veal - we were tearing off and putting a new EPDM rubber roof on for my dad's roofing company. It was probably one of the nicest days of the year and we were jamming to tunes and having laughs all around, busting ass and whatnot - then the radio was interrupted and :censored2: got real.

We didn't have any chance to actually SEE the events until like 3 or 4pm that afternoon after work when we stopped for cold beers at a place called Beaner's Wait-a-Minute Bar - it was obviously nuts to have heard about all of these things all day but not having actually seen them. I remember there were some people crying.

It was beautiful day where I was as well. It was hard to keep working....there was family and friends I was concerned about. Made a million calls and didn't get through to anybody.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Obviously it was a day that anyone who was alive at the time had seared into their minds forever, so...

Where were you at when you heard the news?

Where were you at when you 1st saw the video of the planes hitting the towers?

I know Memorial Day is a holiday to honor those who died in the service of the US Armed Forces, but it's also a day I believe that we should remember those who died trying to save lives in the towers, at the Pentagon, and over PA that day.

Plus these events directly led to the war in Afghanistan that is responsible for the deaths of approximately 2,400 American soldiers so I think it's a valid discussion on Memorial Day.
Delivering next day airs to a business that had a tv. Everyone was just like stopped and stuck in time staring at the tv. Some a hole manager cane In and started screaming about I know things are going on but I need this and that and this needs to be done etc. everyone looked at him with death stares.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was on vacation at home when my daughter called and told me to turn on the news. I missed the first plane but was watching when the second plane hit. I watched it all day.

Jstpeachy

Kinda ironically I was in 10th grade US history. The school came over the intercom announcing all teachers must turn off the TVs and get all students off the computers etc. (to avoid panic I assume) Our teacher turned the volume up and said this is what this class is about, and we watched for the remainder of the class seeing the second tower hit.

LarryBird

It was beautiful day where I was as well. It was hard to keep working....there was family and friends I was concerned about. Made a million calls and didn't get through to anybody.
Yeah, it's crazy to think of now because of how ubiquitous cell phones have become, but the system infrastructures were not that built out in 2001 and I remember them talking about it on the news, how they were so overwhelmed with traffic that phones were not even working...Cell phones were still somewhat of a novelty in those days, I only had one because my Dad bought it and paid the bill for me and my "business" use. Very few people I knew at the time had one.

I cannot imagine how awful it must've been to not be able to contact those close to you who might have been in danger or worse.

oldngray

nowhere special
Cell phones were in widespread use in 2001 but they were like the old Nokia phones and not like todays smart phones. Cell phone use became very common in the early to mid 1990's

LarryBird

Kinda ironically I was in 10th grade US history. The school came over the intercom announcing all teachers must turn off the TVs and get all students off the computers etc. (to avoid panic I assume) Our teacher turned the volume up and said this is what this class is about, and we watched for the remainder of the class seeing the second tower hit.
Before I got to the last part of your post, my 1st thought was 'yeah right' after reading the principal asked teachers to turn off the TVs.

Like that was going to happen. Life stopped that day for the most part. Life as we knew it stopped for a few days, in fact. Sports and concerts cancelled. CD and movie releases postponed. Flights and travel restricted. Etc.

turq

Before I got to the last part of your post, my 1st thought was 'yeah right' after reading the principal asked teachers to turn off the TVs.

Like that was going to happen. Life stopped that day for the most part. Life as we knew it stopped for a few days, in fact. Sports and concerts cancelled. CD and movie releases postponed. Flights and travel restricted. Etc.

UPS didn't stop. I think I took most of my lunch watching TV... around 10 something. But than had to finish the route and come in the next day. It really sucked.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I was in middle school at the time, sitting in an AutoCAD class. One of the planes went down only about a half hour away. By the middle of the day, so many students were being called down to get picked up by their parents that the whole district dismissed. Interestingly, I would go on to deliver that site on one of the routes I covered.

Jstpeachy

It was so surreal.

LarryBird

Cell phones were in widespread use in 2001 but they were like the old Nokia phones and not like todays smart phones. Cell phone use became very common in the early to mid 1990's
If by common, you mean that like 3 out of 10 people had one, then yeah. They were common. But pagers were still being used by many in 2001 and payphones were still everywhere.

I wouldn't call cell phones 'very common' until probably 2 years later, and if you wanna judge very common by more people having one than not, I'd put that date another year or two into the future.

But that's not really an important conversation in this thread anyway, and I don't want it to devolve into any petty arguments.