9.5 rule

bailey2227

What is the 9.5 rule? My understanding is that you can't work more than 9.5 hours? Is that what that means? I have read posts talking about working 59 hrs a week. I am sure there are plenty of part-time handlers that would like to hear what life is really like as a full-time driver. What time do most drivers start off their day in the morning? What time does your day end? Does it get a lot busier during the holiday season?

brownrodster

I am a full time driver and I have no idea what the 9.5 hour rule is. I love overtime personally. I would work 11-12 hours per day if I could. That's a lot of $$$$$$! I usually work 9.5-10 per day.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
What is the 9.5 rule? My understanding is that you can't work more than 9.5 hours? Is that what that means? I have read posts talking about working 59 hrs a week. I am sure there are plenty of part-time handlers that would like to hear what life is really like as a full-time driver. What time do most drivers start off their day in the morning? What time does your day end? Does it get a lot busier during the holiday season?
While I'm certainly not qualified to answer this, I'm going to reply anyway (it is only the interweb, after all). 9.5 hours seems to be the long-standing agreed upon "fair day's work" load. In theory, UPS factors # of packages, # of stops, miles driven, etc. and spreads the work around accordingly. Please see Article 37 (MANAGEMENT-EMPLOYEE RELATIONS) Section 1.c for the contract language on this. If, after repeated requests for a driver's workload to be reduced to 9.5 hours or less (excessive overtime), no progress is made towards this, time worked over 9.5 each day could potentially be double time. This only applies to package car drivers (feeder drivers can be worked up to the federal DOT regulations that apply to them) (and not in november-december, at least in my local's contract). References to not being allowed to work over 9.5 seem to refer to local center management teams getting pressure from above to reduce labor costs on their reports. Start times seem to range around 8-9 AM. Now here's what I'm unclear on, but I'm assuming lunch and breaks come in addition to these 9.5 hours. So if you started at 9 AM, worked 9.5 hours, took a 1 hour lunch and 2 ten minute breaks (an additional 1.33 hours total), you should be punching out at 7:50 PM. I've personally seen drivers returning as late as 10:45 PM (and not during Peak season, either). Yes it's much busier during the holiday season, some say we move up to 50% more packages, with temporary (seasonal) driver helpers, drivers, rental trucks, and working even more hours, of course.
Brown cafe patrons, please commence with your parsing, sniping, and flaming.

DS

Fenderbender
We have no such rule here in Canada.
I usally end up with a 9 1/2 hr day more or less
But my sup really tries to fix overdispatching .
He trusts me to pull off 20 stops and give them to VTdriver.
All the CODS, apartments, and over70's.

diesel96

I don't have the contract with me now, but from what I understand is you can file a grievance(Jan. thru Thx'giving) if you worked un-willingly over 9 and a half hours a day for three days in a row. Some may want the overtime and some may not. This contract language might have been put in effect to protect from enforcing excessive hours against employee's will and to reduce layoffs.I'm sure UPS wants their pick up pieces and Airs in by a certain time also. Supposedly it's based on actual paid day and not OP reports planned day. But some in Mngnt may argue that. I nevered filed for this,I always welcomed O/T, maybe someone could expand on this who has.