wayfair

swollen member
Why won't the Union crack down ASAP on the 9.5 issue? How many times do we have to file? I'd hate to see a bunch of drivers go down right before peak due to excessive repetitive motion injuries.

just file and make that extra cash from penalty pay... and keep hydrated and know your cool zones and use them!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why won't the Union crack down ASAP on the 9.5 issue? How many times do we have to file? I'd hate to see a bunch of drivers go down right before peak due to excessive repetitive motion injuries.
If they are paying you triple time penalty what else do you want?

Bunch of P* work here

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
From the amount of people on this site complaining about 10, 11, 12 hour days I'm thinking not many are on the 9.5 list and people love the money.

norcalbrown

Why do we have drivers running out of hours during the summer? Seems crazy to me, but obviously, UPS has crunched the numbers and determined that running the drivers with less than 4 years into the ground (having them help after completing a route) is more cost effective than more cars on road. 2018 will be interesting, because all our new guys can't wait to "9.5 themselves".

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Why do we have drivers running out of hours during the summer? Seems crazy to me, but obviously, UPS has crunched the numbers and determined that running the drivers with less than 4 years into the ground (having them help after completing a route) is more cost effective than more cars on road. 2018 will be interesting, because all our new guys can't wait to "9.5 themselves".

Unfortunately there will be others who are less than 4 years to replace you.

BostonBo

The problem with the penalty pay here is it takes months for the 9.5 grievance to be heard, they pay pennies on the dollar, and they don't tell you how they got to the figure that they did. It looks like they are sending us out with 10.25 dispatches, and of course some guys are quicker or slower

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The problem with the penalty pay here is it takes months for the 9.5 grievance to be heard, they pay pennies on the dollar, and they don't tell you how they got to the figure that they did. It looks like they are sending us out with 10.25 dispatches, and of course some guys are quicker or slower
you need a better BA, we get paid for all time over 9.5. it takes a couple of months but we DO get it

DOK

Paying the 9.5 grievances may still be cheaper than the cost of adding someone in FT AND paying for their benefits. The benefits is the kicker in the equation.
There's more to it than that, add in the cost of a vehicle and the maintenance and fuel that goes along with it, pension benefits, workers comp premiums, unemployment insurance, more preloaders needed to load the more trucks, etc etc etc.
It's not even close that it's way more cost effective to go with less drivers.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
OT is part of our job. Always has been. Everyone knows this going in. All you can do is file and take the money.

There's more to it than that, add in the cost of a vehicle and the maintenance and fuel that goes along with it, pension benefits, workers comp premiums, unemployment insurance, more preloaders needed to load the more trucks, etc etc etc.
It's not even close that it's way more cost effective to go with less drivers.
For a top scale driver,the paid vacations ,sick time and holidays is over 14k

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The real tag for this thread should be "9.5 :censored2: Draggers". My center is full of 9.5 drivers who barely have 8hr days but still are out over 10. Subsequently any and all not on the list have been forced to work late and help. Which then has forced us onto the list. So my question is now what are those :censored2: Draggers gonna do? Funny thing is now with vacations and sick calls(10 yesterday, 9 the day before), our center is a giant mess. Word is this has finally forced management to go after drivers not doing their job. Before you start about how that's their numbers, put a sock in it. We all know who's lazy and not doing their jobs. So here's an idea, let's pull our heads out and stop pretending that Johnny-3hr over-McGee is being wronged. Johnny can get a job somewhere else cause the Johnny's don't deserve this job in the first place.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
SIMPLE UPS MATH

$2.50 gal/gas > $51.00/hr driver OT

That alone shows why their other numbers are suspect.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
SIMPLE UPS MATH

$2.50 gal/gas > $51.00/hr driver OT

That alone shows why their other numbers are suspect.

Heff, Don't you think it is more than that? If I work another hour, sure, I do more miles but less than another truck sent out to do that split. I think it might be cheaper to pay OT and keep the number of trucks down?