fres431

Why won't the Union crack down ASAP on the 9.5 issue? How many times do we have to file? I'd hate to see a bunch of drivers go down right before peak due to excessive repetitive motion injuries.
My building already has 30 to 40 of it's drivers on comp disability or fmla we are so screwed they using every dot qualified part timer and they have to split up a full route into 2 for part timers

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
There's more to it than that, add in the cost of a vehicle and the maintenance and fuel that goes along with it, pension benefits, workers comp premiums, unemployment insurance, more preloaders needed to load the more trucks, etc etc etc.
It's not even close that it's way more cost effective to go with less drivers.
That's a great point. The vehicle thing with the exception of fuel though is tough. About 10% of our fleet hasn't moved in 6 months. And if it has, it's for a run to the airport.
The sad part is somehow not everyone knows this going in.
I asked one of our new drivers why he was so surprised he was getting off at 7. He said "I've never seen drivers come back to the building, just leave." as he was a preloader. Whenever we have a preloader double shift they're always surprised to see how late guys come back.
Because not everyone wants to spend their entire life at work. Some people have families, and would like to eat dinner with them instead of getting home just in time to tuck their kids in bed. This forced excessive overtime isn't worth $200 dollars an hour to me. My family time is worth more money than they can pay. You can't buy back time fool.
You picked the wrong job then. Simple as that. It's not a 9-5.
Going on 20 years, problem is I don't see my job as a game. Perhaps for those drivers that do, they are in the wrong business. I don't run nor do I walk but what I do is work. Yes my center has Orion and have had it for over a year but these :censored2: Draggers existed before that. Bottom line is that these bad apples seem to be manipulating things into their favor, but their day will come soon enough.
I always love the drivers who complain all week about their 8 hour dispatches taking them 10. But for some reason they always seem to bonus on Fridays with an 8 hour dispatch. Strange...
Anyone with any tenure at UPS doesn't want to be forced to work 10 to 12 hours a day.
I think it's funny you mention this. Our top 2 seniority guys actually try to get as close to 60 hours a week as humanly possible.