9.5's

LeddySS98

I've been filing 9.5's for months now, and today our union rep came down and I got a chance to talk to him...

From what he says there is new language in the contract, and 3 over 9.5s do not apply to....

Cover drivers...
Routes with more than 120 miles in them...
Base Line routes...

Any one else heard about this stuff? I had solid 11hr plans last week:whiteflag:

New Englander

I've been filing 9.5's for months now, and today our union rep came down and I got a chance to talk to him...

From what he says there is new language in the contract, and 3 over 9.5s do not apply to....

Cover drivers...
Base Line routes...

Any one else heard about this stuff? I had solid 11hr plans last week:whiteflag:

Err......not what our BA said.

and NOT what is happening in our district. One of my co workers has been filing the grievances for months and has receive several checks already. The latest one was over $600.
Sounds to me that your local has cut a deal with the company that isn't in your best interest.

Cover drivers...
Base Line routes...

I'm wondering what article that would be.

This is from the National Master :
(c) The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers’ workdays below nine
and one-half (9.5) hours per day where requested. If a review indicates that progress is not being made
in the reduction of assigned hours of work, the following language shall apply, except in the months of
November and December:
Such requests may only be made for the five (5) month periods beginning on each January 1 and
June 1 of each year. No later than thirty (30) days prior to each January 1st and June 1st, each
package center will post a “9.5 opt-in/opt-out list” for the applicable five (5) month period. Each
full-time seniority driver in the center must make an election to opt-in or opt-out of the 9.5
language in this subsection no later than ten (10) days prior to the applicable five (5) month
period. Those full-time drivers who choose to opt-out of the 9.5 language in this subsection will
have no right to file a grievance alleging excessive overtime either under this subsection or under
an excessive overtime provision in the Supplement, Rider, or Addendum.
Drivers who choose to opt-in on the 9.5 list shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has
continually worked a driver more than nine and one-half (9.5) hours per day for any three (3) days in a
workweek. If a grievance under this provision (or a grievance under any excessive overtime provision
of a Supplement, Rider or Addendum) cannot be resolved at the local level, including Supplemental
Panels, where applicable, the Union may docket the grievance to be heard by the “9.5 Committee.”
This Committee shall be composed of two (2) Union and two (2) Employer representatives. The 9.5
Committee shall have the authority to direct the Employer to adjust the driver’s work schedule.
Deadlocked cases shall be referred to the Employer’s Vice President of Labor Relations and the Co-
Chair of the Teamsters United Parcel Service Negotiating Committee for final and binding resolution.
The Employer’s Vice President and the Union’s Co-Chair shall have the discretion to grant the grievant
double triple time pay for hours worked in excess of nine and one-half (9.5) hours per day and/or to
order the Employer to adjust the driver’s work schedule. In the event the Employer’s Vice President and
the Union’s Co-Chair cannot resolve a grievance, either party may refer the matter to arbitration in
accordance with Article 8. In the event the position of the Union is sustained, the arbitrator shall have
the authority to impose any remedy set forth in this Section.

The 9.5 Committee shall also have the authority to adopt guidelines to ensure that this Section is
implemented in such a way as to balance the Employer’s need to protect the integrity of its
operations with an employee’s legitimate need to avoid excessive overtime

This little tidbit may be where that came from.

JustTired

free at last.......
The 9.5 Committee shall also have the authority to adopt guidelines to ensure that this Section is
implemented in such a way as to balance the Employer’s need to protect the integrity of its
operations with an employee’s legitimate need to avoid excessive overtime

So, just what would be considered "an employees' legitimate need to avoid excessive overtime"?

Talk about lousy language. This leaves your "legitimate need" to be interpreted by someone not in your shoes. Bogus language if I ever seen it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Cover drivers...
Base Line routes...

Leddy, they tried that crap with me also. It didn't fly. I just got a National Decision. No more over 9.5. It did take more than 2 years and 2 contracts to get it, they threw all the old 9.5's out from the last contract, but because they violated me so much I finally did win it.

Jim Kemp

This is unreal. What other company would you have this kind of discussion? When things get tight at other companies they cut out overtime, UPS makes you work more.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Completely off topic, but where's 9.5 language for inside work?

Oh that's right, inside people get sent home and then supervisors finish the work.

Why isn't it the same for drivers? how about let the 9.5 guys/gals go home and the sups finish the routes. :biting:

I know this post is sarcastic and whiny...but it goes to show you how UPS completely obliterates the contract in different ways:D

cino321

Sounds like your BA is in bed with management. Tell him than if that's the case and that's how they want to enforce it fine, but you're going to bump a cover driver everyday. Tell him you demand the entire center go through the rebid process so whoever wants to work 9.5 can bid on a route that is not a baseline route or a route with 120 miles on it.

Call the local, call the other ba's, get multiple stewards involved (hopefully ones who aren't in bed with management). It's not going to be a easy fight.

The truth is the company would rather pay us the OT, pay us triple time if we grieve, than to put more loads and drivers on the road. Their production suffers and we all know it.

I'm sure if you get the entire center in a stir the local and management is more likely to appease you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Or find a way to get rid of you.

BBAG, be careful--this is uncharted territory for you. This is not meant to be rude or condescending. This is friendly advice. Get some experience under your belt, let the dampness behind your eyes go away, and then after you have some time here and still want to comment on 9.5 or other driver related issues then by all means have at it. Again, I am giving you friendly advice--this is material to which you have yet to be exposed so your reply of, "Or find a way to get rid of you" is liable to start a battle for which you are sorely unprepared.

New Englander

You know.....you get after me for being "Mr. UPS" yet here you are threatening another driver - not to get into a war of words with you based upon his perceived experience.

This is honestly just a friendly reminder that your post stinks of arrogance.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
BBAG, be careful--this is uncharted territory for you. This is not meant to be rude or condescending. This is friendly advice. Get some experience under your belt, let the dampness behind your eyes go away, and then after you have some time here and still want to comment on 9.5 or other driver related issues then by all means have at it. Again, I am giving you friendly advice--this is material to which you have yet to be exposed so your reply of, "Or find a way to get rid of you" is liable to start a battle for which you are unarmed.

Experience in business? Work related issues? Working with Unions? 20 years experience. From both sides.

Squeaky wheel only gets the grease in Fairy Tales. The squeaky wheel gets the boot in the real world. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

I will refrain from posting on subjects I feel I am not educated in. Will you, in exchange, perhaps work on your own belt-line, work on your long-dry eyes, and stop being condescending?

Granted, I am new at UPS - I'll stop posting until I have more experience at UPS in general. Experience in business? Sir, I come well armed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Experience in business? Work related issues? Working with Unions? 20 years experience. From both sides.

Squeaky wheel only gets the grease in Fairy Tales. The squeaky wheel gets the boot in the real world. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

I will refrain from posting on subjects I feel I am not educated in. Will you, in exchange, perhaps work on your own belt-line, work on your long-dry eyes, and stop being condescending?

Granted, I am new at UPS - I'll stop posting until I have more experience at UPS in general. Experience in business? Sir, I come well armed.

Whatever--have fun--go play with the big boys.

(BTW, stop sending the visitor messages as I delete them upon receipt without reading them so you are basically wasting your time.)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You know.....you get after me for being "Mr. UPS" yet here you are threatening another driver - not to get into a war of words with you based upon his perceived experience.

This is honestly just a friendly reminder that your post stinks of arrogance.

NE, BBAG is not a driver. He is a 3 week wonder. I was honestly trying to give him advice that he was in over his head when discussing 9.5s or any other driver-related issues.

I even stated in my reply that I was not trying to be condescending. I really did have what I thought to be his best interests in mind.

This wasn't even a discussion between BBAG and myself. He had replied to a post by Cino in a manner that I felt showed his inexperience.

Whatever--if he wants to play with big boys, he can have at it.

Confidence and arrogance are distinguished by a fine line and I do admit at times I may cross it without meaning to. My apologies.

Last edited:

New Englander

Unfortunately, when it needs to be brought up and told to us. It isn't confidence it's arrogance.

You don't know him personally so you really can't comment on what his experience is. It's easy to see how he would feel that way as it's essentially belt talk amongst drivers.