A brave new building

arice11

My hub has opened up the walls to reveal a whole other building. The past month they've been putting in another belt and the like.
This should be an interesting change up, but so much has already changed that it throws me for a loop. They now have plastic dividers in the sort aisle to segregate sorters, but there is no way that is safe or in compliance with egress. Its such a mess and apparently so expensive that people who were drivers for a couple months are now back in the preload and haven't gone back, while new-hires and the like are being cut on hours down to the bone.

I've been told drivers from other buildings are going to be moved into our new little section. Basically taking away the opportunity for newer drivers to take on their own routes.

It seems my hub is a disaster piece with this new building and number greedy supervisors. We did not pass our audit and have been in hot water with the upper management for some time.

Has anyone else ever suddenly had another building added to their hub? If so were there this many problems along with it?

barnyard

KTM rider
Has anyone else ever suddenly had another building added to their hub? If so were there this many problems along with it?

No, I have not.

My experience was watching a new hub open. Complete cluster. Later and later start times, some managers wanting to add routes from other buildings before the new sort was settled and working smooth.

14+ years later, it appears there is still problems hiring and keeping FT people to run routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
It seems my hub is a disaster piece with this new building and number greedy supervisors. We did not pass our audit and have been in hot water with the upper management for some time.

?

Seriously----has any center ever passed an audit?

gorilla75jdw

Just curious, what hub this is . I'm at the White's Creek hub in Nashville Tennessee and there is talk of expansion, but nothing has been done yet .

UPS4Life

Well I mean they announce when they're coming and don't send anyone home that day but I still don't see them meeting the "numbers". It would be very interesting if they did a surprise audit one day but I don't think they want to know how bad it is.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
102fc8ee294a9a8955b6a24e05129e2b.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If they do it's usually just barely. Whenever a center in the district gets a Keter audit they send the results in a powerpoint to all of the management members in the area. Some of the results are surprising. A lot of it is paperwork related. But a lot of it is just really basic stuff.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Keter has been the thing that did in many CMs
The problem I have with Keter is not so much the fact that it's a safety audit. It's that they look for the wrong things. Having paperwork in the wrong order is almost as bad as telling someone to pull from the bottom of a stack. The fact they want you to recite DOK, but it doesn't matter if you can actually put it in practice.

watdaflock?

They put an extension on our little hub with a new belt, which is about a foot over the unloaders heads.
UPS is all about safety, "working within your power zone" and "use existing equipment" until is gets in the way of production or if it will cost them a lot of money in building design changes...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our center recently failed a TSA audit. Someone had used a piece of cardboard to keep the door by the mechanic's shop propped open and no one challenged the team when they came in and started walking around the building.

arice11

They put an extension on our little hub with a new belt, which is about a foot over the unloaders heads.
UPS is all about safety, "working within your power zone" and "use existing equipment" until is gets in the way of production or if it will cost them a lot of money in building design changes...
"Safety unless it hurts production" that is the unofficial motto of UPS.
They say it isn't , but they're also very good at lying.
The new things they put across the whole building ignores every rule of egress and complicates operations to the point of unsafe practices are becoming normal day to day things. Ex: the new belt prevents employees from moving safely to and from the sort aisle...
How does UPS get away with shooting themselves in the foot?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Our center of 22 full time routes. Have been bursting at the seams for 10 yrs. Ups has pulled 4 routes out of our building. A couple yrs now. They know we need a new building. No mention of any upgrades here.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
They'll give you a UDC and call you good for a few years

I don't know what a udc is? What we are told is we will have 2 dog houses. (A little shack covered with plastic. With holes cut in the sides for 4 trucks to load.) Normally we only have one. Also, a split start. With 4-6 areas to be loaded into a pup trailer. Then after the 1st start. The pup will be moved to the belt. For the drivers to load their own trucks. Going to be interesting for sure. Heard it will be the guys with rentals.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I don't know what a udc is? What we are told is we will have 2 dog houses. (A little shack covered with plastic. With holes cut in the sides for 4 trucks to load.) Normally we only have one. Also, a split start. With 4-6 areas to be loaded into a pup trailer. Then after the 1st start. The pup will be moved to the belt. For the drivers to load their own trucks. Going to be interesting for sure. Heard it will be the guys with rentals.
It's like a permanent version of a dog house. Literally a trailer they took the wheels off of and put 10 doors on. We outgrew our building years ago and that was their solution

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Our center recently failed a TSA audit. Someone had used a piece of cardboard to keep the door by the mechanic's shop propped open and no one challenged the team when they came in and started walking around the building.
What do you expect.. You say that your building doesn't have a guard shack or metal detectors so the team has free reign... Too bad for your management "team"... Would you have stepped up and challenged them on what the hell was going on??