A/C Petition

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That's why I get annoyed when the drivers leave the locker room door open with the thermostat set at 67. We have some temporary trailered in buildings inside the center.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had a CPU for a number of years at Compaq Computer. I picked up at one of their warehouses on their huge campus. Their buildings were easily as big as some of our hubs, and every building was air conditioned/heated 24/7. I couldn't even imagine how much money it costs to cool a bunch of buildings that big.

Faceplanted

I work in one of the most hostile environments in the usa. Humid and hot as hell with afternoon thunderstorms that make it even more humid.

Ups won't give us ac, from their perspective or will make us slower and imho they are right. So what do I do? When I feel any type of heat illness coming, I send a msg let them know I will be shutting it down for a few min to get shade and cool down. Your personal safety is #1. You have all right when feeling heat illness coming to notify your management team what is going on and what you will be doing. Disciplin for "stealing" time will not stick if it's not a daily occurrence and as you send an ods message. There are 2/3 days per year I have to shut it down and take a little break in ac or in the shade after I have no more meal left. I have done the same with severe thunderstorms. I would love to see a case like that get dead locked and end up jefore a judge. Ups has no case.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Think I got my prototype finished.....
car%2Bwindow%2BAC%2Bwith%2Bgenerator.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I work in one of the most hostile environments in the usa. Humid and hot as hell with afternoon thunderstorms that make it even more humid.

Ups won't give us ac, from their perspective or will make us slower and imho they are right. So what do I do? When I feel any type of heat illness coming, I send a msg let them know I will be shutting it down for a few min to get shade and cool down. Your personal safety is #1. You have all right when feeling heat illness coming to notify your management team what is going on and what you will be doing. Disciplin for "stealing" time will not stick if it's not a daily occurrence and as you send an ods message. There are 2/3 days per year I have to shut it down and take a little break in ac or in the shade after I have no more meal left. I have done the same with severe thunderstorms. I would love to see a case like that get dead locked and end up jefore a judge. Ups has no case.

East L.A.

rickyb

asking a capitalist for a/c is like asking a master to treat their slave better.

the reason you dont have a/c is because you do not make any important decisions in your life at work; you let a capitalist make them for you.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I had a CPU for a number of years at Compaq Computer. I picked up at one of their warehouses on their huge campus. Their buildings were easily as big as some of our hubs, and every building was air conditioned/heated 24/7. I couldn't even imagine how much money it costs to cool a bunch of buildings that big.
I know companies like Apple have buildings with thousands upon thousands of servers for cloud computing. A large amount of the energy they use up is just from the air conditioning. Those servers can get really hot and they can't afford to have them overheat and burn up.

At my old job they had a good sized server room for the company and it was hidden deep inside the building. The maintenance guy and I were doing landscaping all day and he said lets take a break, just don't tell anyone where we are going. Walked right in the server room and it had to be 60 degrees. Felt like heaven. He made me promise not to share his hiding spot, because nobody would think to look for him there!
the reason you dont have a/c is because you do not make any important decisions in your life at work; you let a capitalist make them for you.
Yeah lets let a communist make the decision for me. That way I can wait 5 years for something I want and hope they ordered enough food so I can eat today.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If A/C is so important, your local can negotiate for it. Now, if the local elected officials don't see things your way, elect ones that do.

Foamer Pyle

What I find funny is, UPS claims that A/C would not be efficient in our cars because we leave the doors open. Well don't you think if we had A/C the doors would be closed? Has anyone ever stepped into a FedX package car with air? I have, and I can tell you that even 78 degrees feels better than 95 with 90% humidity. The simple truth is that they don't want the added expense of A/C, even if a few employees die or are sent to the ER.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I find funny is, UPS claims that A/C would not be efficient in our cars because we leave the doors open. Well don't you think if we had A/C the doors would be closed? Has anyone ever stepped into a FedX package car with air? I have, and I can tell you that even 78 degrees feels better than 95 with 90% humidity. The simple truth is that they don't want the added expense of A/C, even if a few employees die or are sent to the ER.

The simple truth of the matter is that the company is right-----A/C would not be efficient in our pkg cars.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Keeping your doors closed if you had a/c will not help unless you are a country driver with 5 miles between stops.

If you only drive a minute or two between stops, the a/c would not cool the truck down at all.

When you get out to deliver the package, even if you closed the door behind you, the 90 degree heat and the sun would instantly heat the cab back up.

The only advantage to a/c would be blowing cool air on you when driving between stops.

While that may feel good, it will do nothing to cool the truck down.

FedEx trucks are cool because they keep them running, even when they make the delivery.

If UPS let us keep the truck running all the time, a/c may help. But that will never happen.

Foamer Pyle

I deliver in the city, and the Fedx trucks I am talking about are not FEDX ground, they are the air trucks that are the same design as ours. The air drivers do not leave their cars running so I believe you are wrong. I have stepped foot in a FedX cab a few times in mid summer, and it feels cool to me. Having cold air blow on me all day long would be a great improvement from our current situation.