A Day in The Life of A UPS Driver

El Correcto

god is dead
Laugh at your daily dispatch- Try not to laugh at your PCM - Get on road and do your job - Big arrow up all messages they send you - Help people or get help - Clock out and do your best to forget it all.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
84916227.jpg

Bottom rung

I actually like my day.. (until i gotta learn my new route the 24th) =(

But..Ill give an exact day..

I walk in the building, grab my DIAD and my folder with my call tags. For some reason I can always tell how my day is going to be by how many call tag (driver follow ups) I have, I hit my EDD and I go to the pcm meeting. And at the end, get a little nervous for a second hoping they dont say my name, (because there is always like 2 or 3 people that have to have a "talk"

So after the pcm , as im walking to my PC, I check out my DIAD and go through my stops. I dont count my stops any more because it doesnt really matter. But I do look at my commit ones and if its under 10, thats a good AM for me so I am happy. I go to my PC and check my air and make sure its all there. Our hub, we are packed like sardines so I actually have a little aniexty about even leaving the gosh darn building. Its hard to pull out, you cant just drive away..its a whole thing.

So I run my air off and after that I get a calmness to the day. If its a nice day out and I have a nicely loaded truck, i am actually in a good mood and often tell my self, "you know what, this is a good job". if I am heavy I go into "peak mode" for me that means I just drop the package off and go, and do a fast walk to every door. NO :censored2: around. And it always pays off because itll be like 3 30 and im like ..holy :censored2:..I only have like 30 stops left. And I can kind of slow down

But anyways around 1 a clock I start to burn out a little so I go to wendys and get some food , coffee and pee. I take about a half an hour.

And after that its just my usual day. I dont have too many pick ups or 3 aclock savers so I kind of just have a "paper route" where im zig zagging in and out of city streets. Its a wealthy neighborhood, so its a nice route.

If im light..for the rest of the day I am basically just waiting for my DIAD to go off with "go pick up stops from" or " go do these pick ups" if not. (on a good day) I am usually done with my stops around 6-630 and it takes a bout 30 min back to the hub. So I get back around 7...take my clerk packages to the clerk. PUNCH OUT

repeat 5x ...

I am deff bumming about having to learn a new route . I am new so ..I KNOW..its just how it goes you have to get use to it. But I gosh darn PERFECTED THIS ROUTE .. I LOVEEE ITTTTT. NO hills, no one ways.. aghhhhrrrr im bumming hard!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i have 2 weeks to learn my route before they train me so im going on the weekends and just running it. SO by the time i "train" I will know it. If I can avoid the sup in my truck for 2 days..then hell ya.
Stop that peak mode bull. They'll notice it and you'll be in "peak mode" for thirty years. Dragging your feet after three? You'll be getting a rider for a few days It'll stay that way too because you get nervous hoping they don't call your name after the pcm, like hell you'll say anything about being too heavy. Good luck kid.