A.M. Time Allowance

srvhero

"leastbest"
How much time is allowed for a driver for A.M. time? My understanding is only 8 minutes, and this includes the so called 3 minutes pcm. At least this is what our center manager is saying. Can any driver out there really attend a pcm, walk to pkg car, wrap up, verify all airs, perform a true pretrip, and leave the property within alloted time? Our center sups are now requiring us to have ANY excessive time approved. Any other drivers experience this?

brownman15

How much time is allowed for a driver for A.M. time? My understanding is only 8 minutes, and this includes the so called 3 minutes pcm. At least this is what our center manager is saying. Can any driver out there really attend a pcm, walk to pkg car, wrap up, verify all airs, perform a true pretrip, and leave the property within alloted time? Our center sups are now requiring us to have ANY excessive time approved. Any other drivers experience this?

no my am time is usually 20 to 30 minutes

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Approving excessive AM time? No. Excessive AM time? Yes, every day. Sup standing at the back of the truck, tapping his toe and looking at watch? Yes. And I love making his day!!!!!!!!:happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The AM time "allowance" is a number that some guy in an office who has never been to your building came up with. It takes as long as it takes. Every so often we have a sup that gets his panties in a knot over our "excessive" AM time, he will start leaving little notes in our boxes reminding us of what we are "allowed" to take. It lasts for a few days or so, until he finds some other trivial statistic to obsess over. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to get out of the building, assuming of course that preload is wrapped and there isnt a traffic jam of other package cars lined up at the gate.

outamyway

So is this why the driver start times are printed on paper in big bold letters and taped to the back of every truck in the building? I still haven't got an answer from anyone about why they are doing that here.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We were asked to not go over 10 minutes or we would e a threat to have our start times moved back. you know, cause 8:30 isn't late enough.

brownrodster

I've been getting about 30 minutes of AM time everyday lately. But that is mostly because preload is not wrapped, there are stacks outside my truck, air is in a pile and needs to be sorted, and they send my preloader home as soon as they see me roll in.

It takes what it takes. If they tell me to only use 8 minutes I'll just do my pretrip and leave all the piles and stuff behind.

If they really want to cut down on AM time they would not send the preloaders home when they see the drivers roll in. If they let the preloader help me wrap up the truck that would be huge! Especially if there is still stuff coming down the belt and I have to stand there reading every damn package to make sure I don't miss mine...

barnyard

KTM rider
We start at 8:25 and most PCMs last 5-10 minutes. Used to be that once or twice a week, the supe would just say, "go to work." That has not happened in years. I feel pretty lucky that most days, I leave the building by 8:40 and deliver my 1st stop at 9:15.

TB

W

westsideworma

So is this why the driver start times are printed on paper in big bold letters and taped to the back of every truck in the building? I still haven't got an answer from anyone about why they are doing that here.

wow what a waste of paper

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would love to have an 8:30 start, or even 8:45. We start at 9 every day. There are days when I don't get out until 9:30. Yesterday they broke out a rte and the effected drivers had to help. Had to been at least 4 drivers that probably didn't leave until 9:30 or 9:45. They had a really bad day yesterday.

Mike Hawk

One peak we had pictures of crying kids posted on the back of our trucks, the caption read "don't misload my Christmas present". Apparently the order came from some higher up, D something, District, Division, D-bag not sure. We had 10 misloads on Crhristmas Eve.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor

Honestly, I believe that is more for your sup's then for your drivers. AM Time is one part of the daily numbers, it also includes the loaders time as well. AM time continues to drag until the last PC leaves the building.

The sups (should be) monitoring loader time, driver time and volume (PPH) as part of their daily operating schedule. They have an alotted number of hours based on the VOL on that specific belt.

You can look at it like this...

If you are running your own business...
  • you have "x" amount of dollars to spend
  • you have "x" amount of work
  • If you run over the "x" amount of dollars = no profit
  • If you run under "x" amount = you make a profit
  • If you have too many people on per the amount of work = no profit
  • If you have the right amount of people for the work = profit
Excessive AM time (loaders & drivers) = NO PROFIT

These numbers at UPS are monitored (by what ever higher power) everyday to the 10th of a second (NOT MINUTE) down to every single PC.

If your loader is there for 3.5 hours and has a volume of 200:
(TOTAL VOLUME / HOURS = PPH)

200p / 3.5hrs = 57.14 PPH

The loader should load at a rate of 57 PPH in order to stay on track.

BleedBrown

"The loader should load at a rate of 57 PPH in order to stay on track."

Storm723; I agree with you up until the 57 PPH. 57 PPH = no pofit. 57 PPH per truck may work. Depending on the building set-up a loader should do between 160 - 240 PPH with PAS.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
"The loader should load at a rate of 57 PPH in order to stay on track."

Storm723; I agree with you up until the 57 PPH. 57 PPH = no pofit. 57 PPH per truck may work. Depending on the building set-up a loader should do between 160 - 240 PPH with PAS.

That number would be based off of the entire volume of that specific belt. I was basing that number off a qty of 200 packages as an example in one truck.

A loader with lets say four PC's, ea. w/ a package count/qty of 200 would look like this:

200qty X 4 PC's = 800qty/ 3.5hrs = 228.5714 (229) PPH

That loader would have to operate at a minimum of 229 PPH to be effective.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Below is also the type of information I try to give to my loaders....

I believe if they understand why & what I am looking at or for, they won't think I am crazy...lol. Also since providing my loaders with the information they have sort of created this little race to beat the number I provide them, as well as a competition on the belt.

It is really actually pretty cool.

mathematics

The AM time "allowance" is a number that some guy in an office who has never been to your building came up with. It takes as long as it takes. Every so often we have a sup that gets his panties in a knot over our "excessive" AM time, he will start leaving little notes in our boxes reminding us of what we are "allowed" to take. It lasts for a few days or so, until he finds some other trivial statistic to obsess over. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to get out of the building, assuming of course that preload is wrapped and there isnt a traffic jam of other package cars lined up at the gate.

the IE person from your building is supposed to do your A.M. time measurement. It's not some suit in Atlanta like you may think. you may have seen IE people there that you never saw before, but they are from the same district and all know how to do the measurement no matter what building they are helping out.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey UpStater, Do you start at 8:50 because you are still waiting for west coast volumn? Just a thought, cuz here in CA. we range from 7:30-8:30 depending on how the cars are lined up and we can get out:happy2:

No, we don't start until 8:50 because we are the furthest center from our hub (Syracuse) so our loads are the last to get here.