A new cold war?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When one is incapable of addressing the facts directly, it's good to have ad homs and strawmen to fall back on.

As to my uneducatedness on global matters that leave me well beneath your esteemed level, seems I'm not alone and this is just one small sample. Besides, I was also thinking macro instead of micro.

First science extraordinaire and now the great mind of geo-politics. I guess you don't often drink beer but when you do, it's Dos Equis?

Stay thirsty my friend!
I think roadrunner will accept the National government spending money on anything ... as long as the government gets bigger.
He is out in left field playing with himself while others are talking about the Pubs and Dems using this as a way to increase spending on the military.
As for Putin and Russia, I have heard at least a dozen pundits say"Putin's desire to restore the Soviet Union to what he sees as its former glory." I think everyone understands that.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm not surprised Putin is pulling this move, and I'm sure he has many more planned.

He's really making these moves because really who is going to stop him? We're certainly not, we don't have any leadership that would stand up to him outside a speech. Too many of the European nations are too distracted by their own politics, so Putin is making his move knowing he either won't be countered or any counter will be as useful as a single bag of sand in a flood.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Wouldn't happen when he was "the Boss" !!
images

wkmac

I think roadrunner will accept the National government spending money on anything ... as long as the government gets bigger.
He is out in left field playing with himself while others are talking about the Pubs and Dems using this as a way to increase spending on the military.
As for Putin and Russia, I have heard at least a dozen pundits say"Putin's desire to restore the Soviet Union to what he sees as its former glory." I think everyone understands that.

The way I see people like RR who defend their political cause so blindly is it makes the integrity of folk like bbsam in this case shine the brighter.

I really appreciate his OP and he is dead on the mark but when we realize these type decisions are made regardless which political isle controls the reigns of power, the sock puppet who sits in the big chair becomes meaningless. This is beyond Obama's paygrade just as the outcomes of post 9/11 were beyond Bush's. They serve mostly to be the fall guy of our anger when it doesn't work out.

wkmac

images

We'll mention nothing of central America then nor to mention his contribution to building what became Al Qaeda and radical Islam. And erase the likes of Richard Pipes and his ilk from history. He was as much the puppet as the rest, just he did a better acting job so as you won't notice.

bbsam

Staff member
images
It isn't hard to understand why it's happening today and it has nothing to do with who is in the Whitehouse. Think of how patient we have been with Saudi Arabia over the years. Russia is Saudi Arabia to western Europe. The very economies that teetered on the brink of collapse just a few short years ago have no appetite for any standoff with their energy supplier.

wkmac

It isn't hard to understand why it's happening today and it has nothing to do with who is in the Whitehouse. Think of how patient we have been with Saudi Arabia over the years. Russia is Saudi Arabia to western Europe. The very economies that teetered on the brink of collapse just a few short years ago have no appetite for any standoff with their energy supplier.

Dead on!

In fact, if he opposed, it would most likely happen in spite of.

island1fox

I have not heard any of the "experts" Comment on the massive purchase by China.

In downtown Manhattan in NYC the "Chase Building" built many years ago by the Rockefeller family--was just purchased by China.
No big deal --most will say ---BUT--Five stories under the Building built into the NY bedrock-is a Football Field size nuclear bomb shelter !
Why the hell would they spend huge bucks on that ???

bbsam

Staff member
They see a different future than you. They also recently bought a failed green energy company. But then again, I bought our house with a dart board in it and I don't play darts. It being there wasn't a deal killer and didn't turn me into a bar hopping dart player.

bbsam

Staff member
Then again, if you foresee a nuclear holocaust, New York is the last place you'd drop money on real estate.

island1fox

They see a different future than you. They also recently bought a failed green energy company. But then again, I bought our house with a dart board in it and I don't play darts. It being there wasn't a deal killer and didn't turn me into a bar hopping dart player.

bbsam,

I know a lot of people like me that have flown on planes.
Many people fly planes
Some have even flown them into New York Buildings.

Go figure !!

bbsam

Staff member
My only point --ANYTHING-- is possible.
Let's say you are correct and anything IS POSSIBLE. The degree to which each occurrence is possible is hardly equivalent to each other occurrence which is called probability. Now the possibility that the Chinese purchased the property with nefarious intent certainly exists. In fact, it is possible that they will set up a secret lab in which they clone perfect non-threatening (in appearance) bio-mechanical super-soldier -- the Danny Devitoclone. Another possibility (and higher degree of probability in a non-conspiratorial reality) is that they got a smokin' deal on it. It's a well known fact that the Chinese (for a communist people) are fascinating capitalists in practice.

island1fox

A hot smoking 775 million.

You do know that You have agreed.

Anything is Possible ---Probability is a different word with a different meaning .

The Probability that Russia would attempt to regain the Glory of the Former Soviet Union to many was far fetched --to others it was very possible !!:wink-very: It is now a Reality !!