A small nugget of what is sure to be many changes in the coming weeks

CJinx

UPS has GSR's (Guaranteed Service Refunds) which covers this. There is also a cottage industry of companies established for/with the sole purpose of tracking packages and requesting refunds when we screw up. Companies would forward their tracking numbers to one of these companies which would then track their packages for them, whether for a percentage or a flat fee. This is why UPS has changed their website tracking to only 25 tracking numbers per request.
I've seen these companies before. There is a ton of administrative paperwork in the event the packages being tracked by these companies end up damaged. Being that most terminals out there push their package handlers out the door as soon as possible and run breakneck speed sorts, crap gets crushed and broken frequently. Poor QA clerks :(

snackdad

So when us typical American consumers try to find cheaper comparable alternatives to the goods and services that we normally purchase, does that make us evil? Or does that only count when it comes to purchasing hours of labor?

I can condone trying to find cheaper comparable alternatives when it comes to material purchases and products. What you are possibly suggesting is that it is OK for an employer to keep seeking lower and lower costs of labor at the expense of those offering the labor when there are few choices. Do you think it is OK for companies to continuously beat down the wage and benefits of the working class just to boost payouts to executives and shareholders (many of whom are the same executives)?
When you go to a restaurant how much do you tip, 10, 15, 20 percent? Does it make you feel good to spread it around a little or do you feel like you won because you got yours for the cheapest price possible.
The executives, many millionaires and some billionaires in Memphis are not "typical American consumers". They have no idea what the typical courier endures every day.
YES, it does only count when it comes to purchasing hours of labor.
The public sentiment against big companies is growing and the real movement has not even begun yet. Occupy Wall Street was just the beginning. 59 Dano you seem happy to pipe in when ever you feel FedEx's little toes are getting stepped on. Really what side of the human race are you on?

vantexan

Apples and oranges! LOL!!

I don't deny having made personal attacks, but I think the term "personal attack" has way too wide a connotation around here. I'm quick to point out that one's attitude has a lot to do with his success or lack thereof, however each individual defines it. I try to keep actual personal attacks to a minimum.

Would you like to compare the personal attacks thrown at you to the ones thrown at me?

Let's see, you have a standard for others, and a different one for yourself. What did you call that again, I forget in my old age?

"success or lack thereof".......woot, there it is.....in a nutshell, your type defines success by how much you "achieve" in relation to what others do. You don't define success by doing right by your employer, working hard, professionalism. Your kind sees things in terms of winners and losers. The further up the chain, the bigger the winner. Your sneering attitude comes through loud and clear because you believe you are addressing your inferiors. It's pointless to have a conversation with your type in person because, as one is speaking, your type is sizing him up to see if he's worthy of your attention, of your respect, of your friendship, or can you be openly dismissive. Seen your type in every corner of the country. I love being a customer dealing with people like you because it's so evident you want to openly act superior but can't. Go have your wonderful little future Mr. Winner, and remember, you are right where you belong.

Ricochet1a

Did some calling around the past few days, confirmed the following:

1. Express Saver is gone. Plans are to have customer software updated to eliminate ES as an option and have customers' shipments that aren't time sensitive go through Ground. This is part of the implementation of the "master plan" I've wrote about extensively. Planning is already being done to notify customers that ES won't be available. DGO will receive instructions on how to process manual AB with ES chosen (most likely automatically bump service up to 2nd Day).

2. 2nd Day will still be offered as an option. Operational Planning (beyond existing business planning) is being done on how to shift delivery of 2nd Day volume over to Ground with minimal disruption. Cost advantages in getting the Ground network to handle the delivery of this volume are tremendous. Delivery of 2nd Day should be shifted over to Ground within 18-30 months from now.

3. Delivery manifesting WILL be put into place come September at latest. UPS and Ground already have this capacity, Express feels confident enough that it can be implemented this Autumn. They want to work on perfecting the system this Autumn and fully expect to have peak 2012 utilizing the software.

4. Overtime. Policy is no overtime is to be SCHEDULED. This means that the advance scheduling that is done for each week CANNOT have employees scheduled for more than 40 hours. If an employee goes over 40 hours to meet operational need (filling in for sick calls, operational need, etc.) this is acceptable. However, each station is supposed to keep total overtime hours at less than 8% of total hours. Sr. Managers that cannot accomplish this goal will be held to account. Still no word on how PEOPLE will be modified to deal with situations of open shifts needing to be filled and having volunteers applying to fill extra shifts but who would accumulate overtime in doing so.

5. Vehicle fleet will gradually be converted to smaller, more fuel efficient Sprinter type vehicles. This is keeping with another long range goal.

6. With successful transferal of delivery of 2nd Day volume over to Ground, Express will only deliver overnight product (pickup operations will remain unchanged). This is seen as being implemented 36 months from now. No employees will be let go, but "Legacy" employees will be offered incentives to either retire or take a payout to leave. The overwhelming majority of overnight volume can be delivered by routes staffed by part-time employees. With AM sorts no longer "clogged" by 2nd Day volume, sort times will be shorter. ROADS stop ordering capability will further speed up sorts, enabling volume to be rapidly sorted to correct trucks then placed into stop order solely by referencing ROADS stop ordering data. All of this is under the "right-sizing" initiative.

7. Express line haul capacity will shrink somewhat. This is due to the elimination of ES, and to updates to customer software giving them the option of utilizing Ground service if a 2 day delivery time can be met.

8. Options are being looked into whether or not to offer time definite guarantee for Ground service. Models are being run on whether to offer a time definite guarantee on Ground service with the paying of a surcharge (basically "insurance" for delivery time).

9. Cheetah will be fully implemented within Office. The test markets have been successful, and FedEx fully intends on offering customers same-day delivery options within major metro areas at costs LOWER than current Express overnight service. The "cannibalization" is deliberate, since margins on the Office product will be greater than currently exist with Express product.

No confirmation on unifying of dispatch functions between Express and Ground, but it would be nearly impossible to implement this model without a unified dispatch functions. Express and Ground will remain separate in name (to maintain cost advantages due to labor law), but in function, they will be HIGHLY integrated.

No word on exactly how early retirement incentives or buyouts are to be conducted. The goal will be to get as many as possible to leave without any financial incentive. With the full implementation of technology (ROADS manifesting and stop ordering), experienced (highly paid) Couriers are no longer needed. Service disruptions are anticipated, but the savings in labor costs will more than make up for any loss of efficiency in individual Courier capability.

No indication that Couriers will be replaced by Handlers on the AM sorts. Combined sort times (once 2nd Day is shifted over to Ground for delivery) and on-road times for delivery Couriers will fall below 6 hours per day - meaning that full-time Couriers will only be needed in exceptional circumstances. There is planning on whether to offer part-time shifts that have 4 days/under 30 hours worked as options to further reduce full-time employees.

With the shift to Sprinter type vehicles, the need for "DOT Couriers" will drop. Business planning is being done on how to increase the number of "Courier-Handlers" to operate Sprinter type vehicles/routes and further increase cost savings for Express.

newgirl

What about station closings?

Cannibalization is right. It's a shame that the road to profit is based on reduction in labor costs and benefits instead of trying to increase volume.

I am curious as to what UPS will do--

bbsam

Staff member

Cannibalization is right. It's a shame that the road to profit is based on reduction in labor costs and benefits instead of trying to increase volume.

UPS will use this information to further beat the union into submission by insisting upon a draconian two-tiered pay structure. Once that is in place, management will ramp up disciplinary proceedings on "trouble" employees to fascilitate their early departure and far cheaper replacement.

vantexan

Did some calling around the past few days, confirmed the following:

1. Express Saver is gone. Plans are to have customer software updated to eliminate ES as an option and have customers' shipments that aren't time sensitive go through Ground. This is part of the implementation of the "master plan" I've wrote about extensively. Planning is already being done to notify customers that ES won't be available. DGO will receive instructions on how to process manual AB with ES chosen (most likely automatically bump service up to 2nd Day).

2. 2nd Day will still be offered as an option. Operational Planning (beyond existing business planning) is being done on how to shift delivery of 2nd Day volume over to Ground with minimal disruption. Cost advantages in getting the Ground network to handle the delivery of this volume are tremendous. Delivery of 2nd Day should be shifted over to Ground within 18-30 months from now.

3. Delivery manifesting WILL be put into place come September at latest. UPS and Ground already have this capacity, Express feels confident enough that it can be implemented this Autumn. They want to work on perfecting the system this Autumn and fully expect to have peak 2012 utilizing the software.

4. Overtime. Policy is no overtime is to be SCHEDULED. This means that the advance scheduling that is done for each week CANNOT have employees scheduled for more than 40 hours. If an employee goes over 40 hours to meet operational need (filling in for sick calls, operational need, etc.) this is acceptable. However, each station is supposed to keep total overtime hours at less than 8% of total hours. Sr. Managers that cannot accomplish this goal will be held to account. Still no word on how PEOPLE will be modified to deal with situations of open shifts needing to be filled and having volunteers applying to fill extra shifts but who would accumulate overtime in doing so.

5. Vehicle fleet will gradually be converted to smaller, more fuel efficient Sprinter type vehicles. This is keeping with another long range goal.

6. With successful transferal of delivery of 2nd Day volume over to Ground, Express will only deliver overnight product (pickup operations will remain unchanged). This is seen as being implemented 36 months from now. No employees will be let go, but "Legacy" employees will be offered incentives to either retire or take a payout to leave. The overwhelming majority of overnight volume can be delivered by routes staffed by part-time employees. With AM sorts no longer "clogged" by 2nd Day volume, sort times will be shorter. ROADS stop ordering capability will further speed up sorts, enabling volume to be rapidly sorted to correct trucks then placed into stop order solely by referencing ROADS stop ordering data. All of this is under the "right-sizing" initiative.

7. Express line haul capacity will shrink somewhat. This is due to the elimination of ES, and to updates to customer software giving them the option of utilizing Ground service if a 2 day delivery time can be met.

8. Options are being looked into whether or not to offer time definite guarantee for Ground service. Models are being run on whether to offer a time definite guarantee on Ground service with the paying of a surcharge (basically "insurance" for delivery time).

9. Cheetah will be fully implemented within Office. The test markets have been successful, and FedEx fully intends on offering customers same-day delivery options within major metro areas at costs LOWER than current Express overnight service. The "cannibalization" is deliberate, since margins on the Office product will be greater than currently exist with Express product.

No confirmation on unifying of dispatch functions between Express and Ground, but it would be nearly impossible to implement this model without a unified dispatch functions. Express and Ground will remain separate in name (to maintain cost advantages due to labor law), but in function, they will be HIGHLY integrated.

No word on exactly how early retirement incentives or buyouts are to be conducted. The goal will be to get as many as possible to leave without any financial incentive. With the full implementation of technology (ROADS manifesting and stop ordering), experienced (highly paid) Couriers are no longer needed. Service disruptions are anticipated, but the savings in labor costs will more than make up for any loss of efficiency in individual Courier capability.

No indication that Couriers will be replaced by Handlers on the AM sorts. Combined sort times (once 2nd Day is shifted over to Ground for delivery) and on-road times for delivery Couriers will fall below 6 hours per day - meaning that full-time Couriers will only be needed in exceptional circumstances. There is planning on whether to offer part-time shifts that have 4 days/under 30 hours worked as options to further reduce full-time employees.

With the shift to Sprinter type vehicles, the need for "DOT Couriers" will drop. Business planning is being done on how to increase the number of "Courier-Handlers" to operate Sprinter type vehicles/routes and further increase cost savings for Express.

Thanks for keeping us updated. And as nothing they do is spur of the moment, I'm guessing the termination of the traditional pension was part of this long range plan. The cash balance plan that replaced it is probably the "buyout" they have in mind. Will be interesting to see how much info they give us in the near future about their ultimate goals. People buying new cars, etc are going to get hurt not knowing what's coming.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If Ground is the direction the company is going, then WHY don't they have their own dropboxes?

Ricochet1a

There is a move as part of "right sizing" to consolidate stations. Take two small to medium size stations and consolidate them into a single large station. Gives additional flexibility for loop planning. However to do this, funds have to be allocated for construction. There is planning to consolidate stations, but so far, actual funds to do so on a large scale basis have been lacking.

IMHO, FedEx is using available funds to begin the transformation of Express right now, and will later focus on station consolidation.

Ricochet1a

If Ground is the direction the company is going, then WHY don't they have their own dropboxes?

That is the question I kept constantly asking when I was a Courier. Supposedly the answer is that FedEx doesn't want customers that use Express to mistakenly place shipments into Ground drop boxes (resulting in late packages),

Customer: Well I placed my shipment into a "FedEx" drop box...

FedEx Cust Svs: You didn't place it into an Express drop box - thus the delay. It is your fault.

Customer: What do you mean it is my fault, I placed my shipment into a FedEx drop box - can't you idiots figure it out!!!

FedEx knows that there would be issues such as this - thus the current charade of Express Couriers taking any Ground pieces that are placed into Express drop boxes back to their stations for processing.

My guess (it is a guess) is that FedEx will go to "unified" drop boxes. Have Express Couriers hit the drop boxes first and pick out all Express shipments, then later in the day arrange for the Ground operation to sweep the drop boxes for Ground pieces.

The only issue I see is a potential charge of "too much integration" by the feds (too much integration to maintain separate opcos). The solution would probably be to have "separate but linked" drop boxes, where Express Couriers could open both to check for Express shipments but Ground contractors would only be able to open the "Ground" drop box.

The current situation is an absolute joke, forced on the Couriers by FedEx's absolute desire to keep Express under RLA (handling only "express shipments" while not losing business due to customers not knowing better). Or customers knowing better but not wanting to go to the effort to arrange for a Ground pickup.

STFXG

Ground will never utilize drop boxes. Being paid by the stop limits the profits of using drop boxes. And since the majority of ground volume is larger than envelope sized packages it would be pretty pointless.

Especially when express stations have a daily pickup by a ground contractor. Much easier for the company to just have the ground boxes hauled to the express station and have them picked up there. Only have to pay for 1 stop rather than for every drop box within the terminal area...

Ricochet1a

Ground will never utilize drop boxes. Being paid by the stop limits the profits of using drop boxes. And since the majority of ground volume is larger than envelope sized packages it would be pretty pointless.

Especially when express stations have a daily pickup by a ground contractor. Much easier for the company to just have the ground boxes hauled to the express station and have them picked up there. Only have to pay for 1 stop rather than for every drop box within the terminal area...

You are all missing the point, since you are viewing things from the perspective of current Ground operations.

If a customer can manage to get a package with a Ground shipping label on it, inserted into a drop box with Express on the side of it, they can get the same package into a drop box with Ground on the side of it.

Currently, there is a capability for Express Couriers to scan Ground packages left in Express drop boxes (exception scan, very last option, Ground pickup). Across the nation, managers have instructed their Couriers NOT to do this, but rather retreive the packages without placing any scan on it (a technical violation of Express policy, all pieces in an Express truck MUST have a scan on them, VAN, PUP, or possession scan) and bring the pieces into their stations for CSA processing.

The "official" reason given for this is that scanning in stations ensures revenue is appropriately shifted over to Express.

BS

The scan an Express Courier is able to place on a Ground piece pulled out of an Express drop box is a revenue generating scan - NO additional scanning is needed by CSAs on the piece before it is tendered to the Ground pickup driver.

This is one of the "have and eat their cake too" situations going on within FedEx right now. The real reason they don't want Express Couriers placing scans on Ground pieces has to do with the RLA. If Express Couriers start "handling" Ground volume (placing revenue scans on them and "openly" transporting them in Express trucks), then the justification for keeping DGO under RLA rules would be out the window. Thus the "nod and wink" antics curently going on within Express in regards to Ground packages being left in Express drop boxes.

Employees that are covered under RLA rules CANNOT be handling non-"express" (as stated in the law) volume. If there is a situation where employees are dealing with both "express" (essentially air cargo) and non-"express" volume, then they are to be covered under NLRA rules.

This is why UPS is under NLRA rules. UPS tired to argue in years past that the employees which were engaged in moving "express" (air cargo) volume only should be moved under RLA rules - didn't work.

This goes to the essence of how and why FedEx is organized the way it is. Employees which handle "express" volume (currently FedEx Express opco), are under RLA rules and given the culture of FedEx - extremely unlikely to organize. FedEx managed to have its cake too with Ground by playing the game of Independent Contractor. There was no way in hell FedEx could've managed to get Ground operations under RLA. If all Ground operations were performed by employees of FedEx Ground - they would've organized in a heartbeat. Thus the game of Independent Contractor. The IC model exists for one reason and one reason only within FedEx - to prevent Ground from unionizing.

As to practicality of having Ground dropboxes, FedEx could do that in an instant if they really wanted to or were forced into a situation where they had to. So far, the issue of Ground packages being placed into Express drop boxes is something that isn't too big of an issue (as long as Couriers AREN'T placing scans on them). If FedEx was placed into a positon of needing Ground dropboxes, they could easily arrange for either the existing contractors to clear Ground drop boxes - or if really needed, have Ground employees in panel vans go around and clear the potential drop boxes. FedEx could also arrange Office drivers to go around to potential Ground drop boxes and clear them of pieces, then bring those pieces back to the Office location for processing.

Don't get blinded into ruling something out solely because "it isn't being done now and can't with the current organizational scheme". FedEx can and does change things whenever it wants, needs to or its hand is forced. Express used to have a defined benefit pension plan - that was unilaterally taken away from Express employees. Express used to offer pay increases defined by a schedule that was available for all to see - now, no Express employee knows what if any pay raise they will receive in the future. Express used to offer shift pay premium - no longer. Express currently has 3rd service... That is going away very soon.

FedEx changes when it wants to change. Just because things are a certain way today, doesn't mean they will be that way a year from now.

whenIgetthere

Up until about 5 years ago (may be more, may be less), Express employees could scan a Ground package from an Express Drop Box. There was an option under the exceptions list to do so. This was changed when software was updated, I think. I can't recall when exactly this capability was changed, but we were able to scan those pieces in the past. I am sure the problems stated by R1a have everything to do with this not being possible anymore. In my station, we have directions from the SM, not to pick up ANY ground package. The only ground being picked up at this station is that which is left at the front desk.

Last edited:

Ricochet1a

Up until about 5 years ago (may be more, may be less), Express employees could scan a Ground package from an Express Drop Box. There was an option under the exceptions list to do so. This was changed when software was updated, I think. I can't recall when exactly this capability was changed, but we were able to scan those pieces in the past. I am sure the problems stated by R1a have everything to do with this not being possible anymore. In my station, we have directions from the SM, not to pick up ANY ground package. The only ground being picked up at this station is that which is left at the front desk.

From what I understand (last time I checked with an Express Courier I know, which was about 4 months ago), there was the capability in the "new" powerpad (same as the old one I had when I was working as a Courier) to do an exception scan while at a drop box and perform a scan on a Ground piece.

The next time you are at a drop box (having a stop with a dropbox) hit exception, then scroll all the way to the very last option - you will see "Ground pickup" as an option (you WILL NOT see this option available at a non-drop box stop). Scan a Ground piece while in that option. The powerpad will accept that scan. When you close the stop, the powerpad will prompt you to print out a listing of all Ground pieces scanned at that stop.

For kicks, do just that, then take that label and adhere it to your timecard (the one you use to punch the time clock with). Your manager will pull you aside the next day and tell you very pointedly to NOT do that again (scan Ground pieces).

If this option is no longer available, then it was just recently removed.

This exception scan IS NOT available on the exception menu while at a non-drop box stop (customer location). Express also doesn't mention it is available. Look in your powerpad manual and see if the option is listed as being there (I don't know if it is or not in the manual). I'd be curious to know if that capability is actually listed as a potential exception scan.

All Couriers know NOT to touch Ground pieces at customer locations (it is what they are supposed to do, despite the pleas of their customers to go ahead and take it). The problem is Ground pieces left in Express drop boxes. What does your manager presume you are supposed to do with those, chuck them into a garbage can? I would've loved to do so when I was working as a Courier.

whenIgetthere

All Couriers know NOT to touch Ground pieces at customer locations (it is what they are supposed to do, despite the pleas of their customers to go ahead and take it). The problem is Ground pieces left in Express drop boxes. What does your manager presume you are supposed to do with those, chuck them into a garbage can? I would've loved to do so when I was working as a Courier.

We have a PM courier (part-time, 30 year man) who leaves all ground packages in his drop boxes. The only time they get picked up is when a swing driver is covering his route! I know, when i was a swing, I'd open his drop boxes and they'd be ground packages covered in dust! LOL We also had another 30 year man (retired earlier this year) who said it wasn't his job to deliver supplies, so he'd throw them in the first dumpster he saw everyday! I'm not condoning that, just that he never got in trouble for it, as far as I know, and he wasn't quiet about doing so!

Express Courier

We have a PM courier (part-time, 30 year man) who leaves all ground packages in his drop boxes. The only time they get picked up is when a swing driver is covering his route! I know, when i was a swing, I'd open his drop boxes and they'd be ground packages covered in dust! LOL We also had another 30 year man (retired earlier this year) who said it wasn't his job to deliver supplies, so he'd throw them in the first dumpster he saw everyday! I'm not condoning that, just that he never got in trouble for it, as far as I know, and he wasn't quiet about doing so!
Would he put any sort of scans on them?

thedownhillEXPRESS

From what I understand (last time I checked with an Express Courier I know, which was about 4 months ago), there was the capability in the "new" powerpad (same as the old one I had when I was working as a Courier) to do an exception scan while at a drop box and perform a scan on a Ground piece.

The next time you are at a drop box (having a stop with a dropbox) hit exception, then scroll all the way to the very last option - you will see "Ground pickup" as an option (you WILL NOT see this option available at a non-drop box stop). Scan a Ground piece while in that option. The powerpad will accept that scan. When you close the stop, the powerpad will prompt you to print out a listing of all Ground pieces scanned at that stop.

For kicks, do just that, then take that label and adhere it to your timecard (the one you use to punch the time clock with). Your manager will pull you aside the next day and tell you very pointedly to NOT do that again (scan Ground pieces).

If this option is no longer available, then it was just recently removed.

This exception scan IS NOT available on the exception menu while at a non-drop box stop (customer location). Express also doesn't mention it is available. Look in your powerpad manual and see if the option is listed as being there (I don't know if it is or not in the manual). I'd be curious to know if that capability is actually listed as a potential exception scan.

I do, and have, done the scan on probably hundreds of ground packages left in the drop boxes over the years.
the Astra print out is just the same that a CSAvprints at the end of their shift, kind of like a batch label....
I pray someday our government powers that be, see this for what it is....