A small nugget of what is sure to be many changes in the coming weeks

vantexan

OK, the Express margin. I should have made that clearer, not that you have any intention of answering it either way.

I did answer it. FedEx can do better by us, but they have no intention to and it's about to get very serious for a lot of employees.

vantexan

Really? I must have missed it. What did you say the margin should be?

It doesn't matter what the margin is because they are shooting for 10% and will run over a lot of people doing it. How come you keep sidestepping what's coming? Do you approve?

HomeDelivery

i see what's happening

either jump off the train

or come over to Ground/ Home Delivery, where you'll definitely get paid less! But at least your hours will be up to 70 per week:bag:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It doesn't matter what the margin is because they are shooting for 10% and will run over a lot of people doing it.
[[
:::sigh:::

How come you keep sidestepping what's coming? Do you approve?

I'm not a fan of what has been speculated. Do you realize that an underperforming business isn't going to maintain the status quo? I'm not thrilled about what's been gossiped about here but my God, some folks act like the business climate hasn't undergone dramatic changes and that FedEx has absolutely no reason to adapt to those changes.

vantexan

[[

I'm not a fan of what has been speculated. Do you realize that an underperforming business isn't going to maintain the status quo? I'm not thrilled about what's been gossiped about here but my God, some folks act like the business climate hasn't undergone dramatic changes and that FedEx has absolutely no reason to adapt to those changes.

But they aren't losing money and Ground is taking away business from UPS. How much is enough, especially when the livelihoods of 10's of thousands of employees are at stake?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But they aren't losing money and Ground is taking away business from UPS. How much is enough, especially when the livelihoods of 10's of thousands of employees are at stake?

But they aren't losing money. Well, heck. Who cares if Express is making any money as long as it's not losing money? Express doesn't exist to "not lose money," it exists to earn a decent profit. How much is enough? Had there been some positive movement over the last 3 years, that would have probably been enough.

vantexan

But they aren't losing money. Well, heck. Who cares if Express is making any money as long as it's not losing money? Express doesn't exist to "not lose money," it exists to earn a decent profit. How much is enough? Had there been some positive movement over the last 3 years, that would have probably been enough.

Except they didn't just decide to build up Ground and consolidate Express a few years ago. They knew what they had in Ground many years ago, and many years of planning and development are about to come to fruition. Had to iron out the legal wrinkles, had to build the Ground infrastructure. If they were going to do all this why not leave our pensions alone? Because, IMO, they were in a race to get this online before a union could get in, and needed every resource to spend on building Ground. Just a theory, don't get your knickers in a twist.

vantexan

P.S. If they aren't losing money then they are making money. If you can make almost $2 billion in profit in this economy then I'd say that's pretty decent.

thedownhillEXPRESS

[[

Just a quick google search brings up articles more closely resembling this FedEx profit soars despite restrained volume growth; company orders 27 new 767s � The Commercial Appeal
Rather than doom and gloom.
This is an orchestrated long term plan to destroy one profitable company, with actual good paying family jobs where one spent their career, to instead a ragtag bunch of constantly rotating drones with no benefits or future, all in the search not for survival, but for pure greed to the extreme.
Not very moral...

thedownhillEXPRESS

I see mostly articles resembling this: FedEx profit soars despite restrained volume growth; company orders 27 new 767s � The Commercial Appeal

Rather than the doom and gloom you describe.
This a just a purely greed move, taking a profitable company with good careers and jobs, and replacing it with a ragtag high turnover company with the same logo and no future or family sustainable jobs.
And when Fedex figures a way out to have child labor, or illegal immigrants work for half of what a ground driver would, I'm sure you would be fine with that too..
Race to the bottom hurts us all....

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

bbsam makes a valid point. Corporations exist to make money. If you want morals watch PBS.

The Ground business model makes a lot of sense from a strictly business point of view.

thedownhillEXPRESS

bbsam makes a valid point. Corporations exist to make money. If you want morals watch PBS.

The Ground business model makes a lot of sense from a strictly business point of view.

They do exist to make money, nothing incorrect there.
However this line of thinking and acceptance is what is causing the destruction of the middle class, business used to share some community responsibility, a greater good makes it better for all.
I guess we're more likely to end up like Chinese slave laborers in an apple plant then to see the days of ethical business practice again, and what good is that going to eventually do?