A solution to the excessive overtime problem

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The problem is that UPS's business model is based on the 1.5 OT rule. With their number crunching, they feel they can operate with drivers doing excessive OT every week. As a union, we have to break that model by going 2x for OT. This squeezes their numbers plus will force them to hire more drivers.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
8 weeks vacation!!! Wow- Being a casual for my first 10 yrs. I will get my 5th wk on my 30th yr. Hit my 23rd year next month. I also believe we should get x2 for OT over 9hrs. Also, how about the union allowing OT hours be added into pension contributions. Not just 40 hours. That would allow for 25 out across the country. And- would create more jobs for part-timers(younger) work force. A benefit to UPS also

thessalonian13

I was chatting with a buddy who works as a police officer in our city. He tells me his union negotiated an overtime option, to give officers the choice of taking worked overtime as pay or instead have those hours credited to their vacation time. Seems like the perfect solution for us to negotiate for next contract.
THE SOLUTION IS SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T TAKE THE DAY OFF WHEN THEY ASK YOU TO GO HOME..... REQUEST YOUR 8 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a few drivers in our center that go home almost every day. If they worked, they could lighten the load for everybody else. I still have all my sick days left. LOL

AKCoverMan

I am sure this varies state by state. Alaska requires 1.5 for all hours over 8 in a day or 40 in a week. Some employers want to do optional work plans, the most common being 4 tens. In order to get away without paying ot on the 10 hour days employers have to write up their proposal and submit it to the state labor department for approval. 4 x 10 is pretty common and usually gets rubber stamp approval. However in a previous life I was in management at a large travel agency call center, and we tried to arrange a schedule for employees to work a three-and-a-half day week.. three 12 hour days and a 4 hour day on the employee's "Friday". State would not approve it.

AKCoverMan

I wonder what It would take for 705red to hook me up? I certainly is a nice thought. Package sucks. Feeders is where it's at! And, you make more. Can't beat that!!

Guess it depends on location. Here in The Last Frontier feeder makes the same top rate as package. I think there is a tiny bonus for doubles and triples are not allowed here. Of course since we have almost no highways we only have three feeder runs a day: Anchorage-Kenai-Anchorage, and the Anchorage-Fairbanks run (one driver leaves Anchorage, the other leaves Fairbanks..they meet at the halfway point and exchange rigs and return home).

Kae3106

It would have to be 1.5 . In other words you would get 1 1/2 days vacation in lieu of 8 hours OT pay.
I think it's a great idea.It would be nice to lock your OT in at 8 hours max and the rest accumulates as vacation.
Ups could use the lower paid newbies to cover your off days,and save money.
Everyone wins.

Everyone wins except the payroll dept that has to keep track of that. That's is well beyond the capabilities of our current system and would take a massive system overhaul to add that functionality.

over9five

Staff member
..they meet at the halfway point and exchange rigs and return home).

Just curious. Do they exchange rigs, or do they exchange trailers?

I imagine exchanging rigs would save a little time for UPS (two couples, two uncouples), but I don't think most drivers would like that.

It would be faster to drop the boxes and swap the sets than it would be to swap out all the driver stuff from rig to rig. Like O9 said, I would NOT want to swap tractors.

Last edited:
A

anonymous6

I was chatting with a buddy who works as a police officer in our city. He tells me his union negotiated an overtime option, to give officers the choice of taking worked overtime as pay or instead have those hours credited to their vacation time. Seems like the perfect solution for us to negotiate for next contract.

55-60 hrs a week in feeder is like a vacation to me. i use to run crosscountry and 11 western states for almost 14 years.

try 168 hrs a week in a truck.

but i see where you package guys are coming from. we have languge in the contract for you guys, but i know the co is just ignoring it.

sorry, but i can't make any suggestions.