About Leaving Driving for Preload...Is this possible?

jimmyjds

Well, i know UPS...and from what most drivers and sups told me, i should be driving consistently in two years. Till then i will be driving only when volume picks up. In the mean time, i've been drinving for Uber, but they don't really pay well either. But i have had paychecks of $300 some weeks with Uber.

trickpony1

I am still debating whether the $5-6/hr pay cut is worth it.

The pay cut is a concern but also:
-working with people you don't like,
-working with people who don't like you,
-working in close proximity with people, in general, that you can't get away from and,
-being bossed around by persons of lesser intelligence than yourself.

Right now you have 8 hour workdays and your center manager wrapped around your little finger. What more could you ask for?

Think about it.

The pay cut is a concern but also:
-working with people you don't like,
-working with people who don't like you,
-working in close proximity with people, in general, that you can't get away from and,
-being bossed around by persons of lesser intelligence than yourself.

Right now you have 8 hour workdays and your center manager wrapped around your little finger. What more could you ask for?

Think about it.
Work 15 more minutes a day and make $50 less a day....hmm....

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
No satellite trucks here.

We had eight in two different locations about an hour north. The trailers would leave about fifteen minutes before the preload finished, so there was always some overflow left to go to them.

Two of us 22.3's would trade off which location we went to every day. It was sweet, because once we got the stuff to the satellites, nobody cared how long it took to get back.

Can you say 'scenic route?'

We had eight in two different locations about an hour north. The trailers would leave about fifteen minutes before the preload finished, so there was always some overflow left to go to them.

Two of us 22.3's would trade off which location we went to every day. It was sweet, because once we got the stuff to the satellites, nobody cared how long it took to get back.

Can you say 'scenic route?'
Slacker

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Toward the end of that year, we got a different center manager, and the overflow runs stopped. As did running occasional air and going out to help.

The porter half of my job was boring as hell, and as soon as I could, I got back out to the street, on to the second best route ever.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The difference being I will keep my daily guarantee, company seniority, benefits and pension while losing much of the stress and reducing the wear and tear on my body.

I am still debating whether the $5-6/hr pay cut is worth it.

Not sure if this applies in your situation, but local 177 got a sweet deal with regards to inside employees retirement health coverage. It's definitely worth checking to see if there's any advantage to going out as an inside employee vs FT driver.
The inside employees in the Western Region and 177 Healthcare Plan, when they do retire, have premiums that are currently roughly about a quarter of the outside employee rate. I doubt they'll hold in place forever, but I have no way if knowing if they might as well. Good luck either way.