About to file my first grievance

Jstpeachy

Question for clarification- are they changing start time for everyone on the 4:40 shift, or forcing you to work a different shift?

Our start time changes every day anywhere from 1:30am- 5:15 am until completion. If it’s changing start times welcome to UPS. Though I feel they should be more clear that the posted hiring info is a guideline not a set schedule...

If they are making you work a different shift/sort etc entirely that’s messed up.

Bottom line UPS doesn’t care what your prior obligations are, and as a part time job they expect full time dedication and to be your priority- regardless of if that’s reasonable to expect or not.

Good luck

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
#1 in NE, your work week is 5 days consecutive. Your schedule should be posted a week prior. Start time changes must be 24hr notice? And your start time should not change +/- one hour increments.

Again get familiar with your local supplement and see if you can find any ammo

At least for my local, this statement is incorrect.
Part timers do not get their schedules posted 1 week prior.

Part-time Employees shall be notified of their starting time. If a part-time Employee's starting time is changed, they shall be notified the day before such change is to be made by the end of the prior shift. If a part-time Employee is called in before their regular start time, they shall not be paid the overtime rate.

Maybe you've got a really great local. But I think the language in mine is more common to most locals with regards to part timers.

Jstpeachy

At least for my local, this statement is incorrect.
Part timers do not get their schedules posted 1 week prior.

Maybe you've got a really great local. But I think the language in mine is more common to most locals with regards to part timers.

We have some generic “schedule” posted lol but it’s never accurate. Start time for next night is announced at pcm, on chalk on the floor before end of shift or posted to a fb page whenever they see fit to announce lol.

Nvm looks like your preload is split into 2 groups... weird. Either way good luck these folks have crazy expectations for a part time gig.
Yes while the full time employees work from 11pm or so until preload completion (9-10am), there is a first half part timers and 2nd half part timers. They basically just use us as were needed. I have been here a year and a half and seen many people come and go. Really thinking it's my time as things just seem to be getting worse at our hub.

542thruNthru

Hi, I'm a part time package handler at my hub. When I signed up for the job I agreed to work the 2nd half shift which is 440am - 9am or 10am. Recently the last few weeks management has been telling us on our day 6 which is Friday night that all part time handlers are required to work day 1 (Sunday) or they initialize a new start time for us on day 2 usually from 10pm-1150pm depending on business needs. I have been repeativly reminded supervisors that I cannot work these hours as a part time employee as I have other life commitments. So today I go in at my normal schedule time at 440am, and was instructed to go to the office where I also met with two other part timers. The supervisor asked why we weren't here when scheduled (1130pm) and has threated us with disciplinary action if we do not show up tonight at 1150pm. I find this unfair and have spoke to other employees that believe it is wrong to punish us for having other responsibilities besides working when UPS wants us to work. We should not be treated as if we are disposable. Is this grounds for filing a grievance? My plan is to show up when I'm regularly scheduled at 440am knowing I'll be getting sent to the office. Should I make it clear I will be filing against said supervisor right then and there or?

What did you steward say? Have you contacted your Local?

Sorry but it sounds like you are SOL.

Jstpeachy

Yes while the full time employees work from 11pm or so until preload completion (9-10am), there is a first half part timers and 2nd half part timers. They basically just use us as were needed. I have been here a year and a half and seen many people come and go. Really thinking it's my time as things just seem to be getting worse at our hub.

Ah fair enough, you must be at a larger building than me. We are the last center out from the metro area hubs... so we just have drivers, preload and reload/twilight shifts. All PT except drivers

BootsOnTarmac

How about you just show up at your scheduled start time. If they have a problem with that then wait for a letter with your name on it. Be prepared in your search for another job, otherwise adjust. Go ahead and get fired and move on to a better job with a possible career.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
My main point though is I signed up to work at 440am. NOT 1150pm. Managements communication with workers is horrible. I work the same time 4 out of the 5 days of the week. Then its somehow my fault when they want to change up the start times? How am I supposed to flex my life around that. There are better things than working here. This isn't my career choice. I selected these hours to work because they fit my schedule.
What happens when you become a driver? You going to get mad when you’re not done at 5? You think you can make your own schedule you silly millennial?

PT Car Washer

What happens when you become a driver? You going to get mad when you’re not done at 5? You think you can make your own schedule you silly millennial?
4:30 at my building. Driver behind me was throwing a tantrum because we weren't unloading our air and internationals and irregs fast enough.

Not really looking into becoming a driver seeing what the job is really like. Like I said before this isn't something permanent for me, and I'm sorry for anyone who is stuck in the same position as me. At first I really did want to work my way up to being a driver, but seeing how unorganized this place runs has really made me second guess things. I can go find any other job really, I'm a full time student first, and this job really is just getting in the way of things.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Not really looking into becoming a driver seeing what the job is really like. Like I said before this isn't something permanent for me, and I'm sorry for anyone who is stuck in the same position as me. At first I really did want to work my way up to being a driver, but seeing how unorganized this place runs has really made me second guess things. I can go find any other job really, I'm a full time student first, and this job really is just getting in the way of things.
Well then quit complaining and quit