? about transfering

S

ssdriver

Would like to know if there is any one out there who has transfered as a driver to another centre.
And if so, did you lose some or all of your seniority rights...Our contract states; (HE WILL BE PLACED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SENIORITY LIST AT THE CENTRE TO WHICH HE IS TRANSFERING).The next paragraph states; (HE WILL KEEP HIS SENIORITY FOR THE PURPOSES OF VACATION, RETIREMENT, BENIFITS, AND WAGE PROGRESSION).
I'd like to know if I can choose my vacation before someone with less seniority than myself, or does the term..."HE WILL KEEP HIS SENIORITY FOR THE PURPOSES OF VACATION" mean, that I keep the number of weeks off I have earned.

Thanks, from someone who wants to get the story straight.

John
icon201.gif

O

over9five

You keep the number of weeks you have earned, but you pick by order of your new seniority date.

If your new center is your same local, you keep your same seniority date too.

S

switchoff

You keep your seniority in terms of 'hire date' and number vacation weeks allowed. In Canada, you choose vacation based on 'job date' now, not 'hire date'. I will check tomorrow my co-workers 'job date', he recently transfered here a couple of years ago (10+ years employee).

R

rushfan

Here, the person chooses vacation after those above him/her on the seniority list. Seniority based on the date they transfered to the new center.

(Message edited by rushfan on August 16, 2005)

Q

quebec_driver

Switch off, I think you are wrong, seniority for vacation is actual hire date, seniority for bids and anything else is job date... if you transfer to feeders you keep your seniority for vacations, but you fall to the bottom for bids and OT. check with your steward...

S

switchoff

I wish I was wrong. This year when they put up the vacation schedule, it went in order of Job Date, not Hire Date. I made a big stink because for the past 10 years we had been doing it the other way. By manager referred to the new contract and showed me that it had switched around. I didn't even know it was an issue at the bargaining table until that time!

I was dropped around 10 spots because of this...whatever, life goes on.

S

switchoff

good question, i can't find it in the new contract. i guess i'll ask him sometime before next year's vacation schedule is posted
happy.gif

Q

quebec_driver

switchoff;
check out articles 8.3 and especially article 8.15 para d. No matter what happens you keep your seniority for vacations, your manager shafted you bring him back on line

S

switchoff

I think you're right, I think he's got it backwards. He's lucky he's a nice guy otherwise I would rip into him.

T

toonertoo

In the central states I dont believe it has changed. I have always kept the same amount of vaca, but lost the liberty of when I could take them. Amount of Vacation goes by your hire date If you are "lucky" enough to find a loophole TO transfer. You are dovetailed into a list but bidding etc, goes by your transfer date. All driver jobs go by that.

(Message edited by toonertoo on August 18, 2005)