About UPS sending people home on their supposed schedule shift..Question...

Wtfmayne

Why the heck do they send you home when your scheduled to work a shift? Wtf. Would you be mad?...

Not once...but twice in a row.

So I got up so friend'n early in the morning just to take a shower, sacrifice some sleep hours, and drive a couple miles, and waste gas just for them to tell me they don't need me or have anything for me?? Really? And now my parents are pissed that their doing this to me and also I'm getting in trouble by them saying I'm so scared to tell my job about what I have to deal with, when they do this to me, and pissed at the fact now they think I'm a chicken to talk to them and tell em I quit.

I mean I kinda understand why ups do this, because its when they don't have the volume package to support the amount of people to have work or something and sending the newer ppl home first but still...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why the heck do they send you home when your scheduled to work a shift? Wtf. Would you be mad?...

So I got up so friend'n early in the morning just to take a shower, sacrifice some sleep hours, and drive a couple miles, and waste gas just for them to tell me they don't need me or have anything for me?? Really? And now my parents are pissed that their doing this to me and also I'm getting in trouble by them saying I'm so scared to tell my job about what I have to deal with, when they do this to me, and pissed at the fact now they think I'm a chicken to talk to them and tell em I quit.

I mean I kinda understand why ups do this, because its when they don't have the volume package to support the amount of people to have work or something and sending the newer ppl home first but still...

This is UPS ... deal with it until you get more seniority.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

You need to understand a couple things first.

This is a union job. YOU ARE GUARANTEED 3.5 HOURS OF WORK. If UPS cannot give you 3.5 hours of work, they must notify you a week in advance or give proper notice as your contract supplement says.

If you plan on staying at UPS as a Teamster, read that contract inside and out and memorize it verbatim! Management will only bend and break those that haven't armed themselves with the working knowledge of the contract.

Once you are at work, they MUST work you. If not, talk to a union representative. Tell them that the company is trying to send you home and that you want your 3.5 hours. If you are still asked to leave, even after your rep spoke with your FT or PT supervisor who is handling daily staffing, you can then file a grievance for all hours worked ASSUMING that there are people with less seniority than you working while you were "sent" home and also assuming the company did not follow the contract and give you the proper advanced notice you were not needed. (very likely)

When the company asks you to leave, they are NOT short on packages but they made the mistake of staffing too many people for an "area". It is NOT a shortage of work, do not believe that blatant lie.

You volunteered to go home in the eyes of the contract unless you did the above.

The company is well aware in advance when the package volume will be a lesser and greater levels. They are simply assuming, and banking, that people like you do not know their rights and are not willing to fight for their job and work hours. A willing victim is their favorite type.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS expects employees to be at their beckon call. Dont play their games. Tell them you want your gurantee of 3.5 hours.

I assumed he was not a seniority employee yet ... if he is then this is good advise.
This will get the poor planning cleared up soon enough.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What kind of stupid job is that? friend** this. I don't even need the benefits

Relax...do you have your 30 days yet? If so, you are guaranteed 3.5 hours each day. If you are asked to leave early tell them you want your guarantee.

Or you could always quit and let someone who actually wants to work take your place. Dave.

JonFrum

This is an ongoing problem that will never be fixed. All you can do is assert your right to a guaranteed 3-1/2 hours and file a grievance if you are deprived of your guarantee.

Make your Steward aware that you left work "as instructed," but against your will.

Note that the guarantee applies to all part-time employees, not just seniority part-timers.

Cite this Contract language . . .

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5.Wages

All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee.

Nimnim

The Nim
This is an ongoing problem that will never be fixed. All you can do is assert your right to a guaranteed 3-1/2 hours and file a grievance if you are deprived of your guarantee.

Make your Steward aware that you left work "as instructed," but against your will.

Note that the guarantee applies to all part-time employees, not just seniority part-timers.

Cite this Contract language . . .

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Sections 5.Wages

All part-time employees governed by this Article shall be provided a minimum daily three and one-half (3-1/2) hour guarantee.

You are right JonFrum, someone who hasn't gotten their 30 yet is guaranteed their 3.5 but at the same time making those kinda waves in that period doesn't help their chances of making seniority.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
UPS expects employees to be at their beckon call. Dont play their games. Tell them you want your gurantee of 3.5 hours.

This morning my supervisor walks up to me five minutes before my 8:45 start time. He told me that I needed to "take the day off because my one year safety certification ride expires today". I started driving in 1984. I told him that I had got up at 5:55, driven 27 miles to work, and was clocked in. I then told him that it wasn't my fault he failed to do his job. If I went home, then I was going to grieve it and get paid for it. I worked today, I think my Center Manager has to ride with me tomorrow. So stuff like this goes on with old employees too.....