Accident W/in 30...What Happens?

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
My husband is in his first 30 days of package car driving.
Was having a hard time at first.
A couple of days ago he said he had a fantastic day until the end when he was backing the truck into the center.
:ohmy: He scraped the truck beside him. Just rubbed off the paint in a half inch square area. No dent or anything. Just paint damage and no damage to his own truck.

He's wrestled with this all weekend and thinks he should call his center manager at home to talk about it.

He just called another driver and the driver said not to say anything.
What should he do?

Tell the center manager and risk his driver position? Or not say anything with the chance of being found out and probably lose his job altogether?

:bored: I'm worried.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Say nothing. The time to report it has passed....

...and besides, the trucks get moved ten times a night. There's a new scratch on mine everyday.

<call the center manager at home????!!>

Griff

Say nothing, the carwash people dig into the sides of the trucks constantly. Your husband is overthinking the job, it isn't that complicated or important to fret about things while off the clock. We do that here sometimes, but it's really not worth it in the end.

diesel96

My husband is in his first 30 days of package car driving.
Was having a hard time at first.
A couple of days ago he said he had a fantastic day until the end when he was backing the truck into the center.
:ohmy: He scraped the truck beside him. Just rubbed off the paint in a half inch square area. No dent or anything. Just paint damage and no damage to his own truck.

He's wrestled with this all weekend and thinks he should call his center manager at home to talk about it.

What should he do?

Tell the center manager and risk his driver position? Or not say anything with the chance of being found out and probably lose his job altogether?

:bored: I'm worried.

Don't stress now,worst thing would be to tell Mgr after the fact.
Look, pkg cars get scratched,dented and abused each day by car washers,parkers etc..he's not the only person who drives the car.

Mon. morning if other driver bothers to pre-trip vehicle,he'll see the strach and write it up in the DVIR book for a touch up.He will assume one of the part timers did it.

But being such a small scratch as you describe,nothing will be done untill multiple scratches appear,or an audit is being conducted.

So don't worry be happy:laugh:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I agree with all the above answers, Flower. I was moving missorts in the hub, pushing this enormous cart stacked 6 feet over my head and it had no maneuvering capability to speak of. I didn't think I was within 10 feet of a package car until I hear the crash of metal on metal. I thought, "Oh, :censored2:!" Told the pt'er, he called the ft'er over at my insistance and he said not to worry about it. There were no broken lights and that was all that mattered to him. I told him if he was ever asked about it to send them my way. Never heard a word about it. -Rocky

Raw

Raw Member
What should he do?
Well, since he told another driver, he now has to "silence" that driver as not to leave any witness`s , if you know what I mean! :wink:

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
Well, since he told another driver, he now has to "silence" that driver as not to leave any witness`s , if you know what I mean! :wink:

He has no worries about the other driver snitching. He's a good egg.

Thanks for all of your comments. It really has put the mind at ease. He said that he has definately learned from this and it will NEVER happen again. I told him that a lot worse could have happened...like backing into a human being or something.

Thanks again for all your help.:thumbup1:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Consider yourself lucky if Monday comes around and your not fired. You may not think that somebody saw it and you not reporting it. Nobody I know ever got fired for reporting a minor incident while on probation.

UPS Lifer

Consider yourself lucky if Monday comes around and your not fired. You may not think that somebody saw it and you not reporting it. Nobody I know ever got fired for reporting a minor incident while on probation.

I agree with Black Box....Put the burden of responsibility on the manager. If you have been doing a good job he will give you some counseling you may even have to suffer a little bit but you will remain a UPSer. I managed 7 centers and would not fire someone for a scratch. I don't have a contract in front of me but if it happened on Friday I think you have until Monday prior to the start of work to report the accident.

Let me ask you a question....Are you asking for permission to skirt your responsibility this one time? Because it appears that you are looking for people to give you that permission. :confused:1

If your center manager was standing right behind you when it happened...what would you have done?

Don't start your career out on the wrong foot. I know that this may not be the popular point of view but it is the right thing to do.

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package

I guess he's just between a rock and a hard place.
He really wants this job...NEEDS this job.
If he says something it's another year on the preload.
If he doesn't and is found out...then that will probably be the end of his career at UPS.
If he doesn't and is not found out it will eat at his conscience for a long long time.
It's such a hard descision.
I have a feeling, knowing the type of guy he is, he will report it to the center manager.
We'll see what happens.

Griff

I guess he's just between a rock and a hard place.
He really wants this job...NEEDS this job.
If he says something it's another year on the preload.
If he doesn't and is found out...then that will probably be the end of his career at UPS.
If he doesn't and is not found out it will eat at his conscience for a long long time.
It's such a hard descision.
I have a feeling, knowing the type of guy he is, he will report it to the center manager.
We'll see what happens.

Are you being serious or what? This is turning a mole hill into a mountain at its finest, he should consider applying for management. I mean come on, eating at his conscience for a long time, we are talking about a scratch on a stupid truck here. I can walk down row after row of trucks in our building (250+) and 80% of them will have a visible scratch or dig. I suggest you tell him to ask his questions here, this way he doesn't beat your ear with this nonsense.

helenofcalifornia

I understand the moral dilemma he is going through right now, but I agree that perhaps the time has passed in reporting the "accident." If it is anything like our center, he will be kicked out of driving for six months. And if he makes seniority, make friends with the mechanic who has the touch up paint. Always a driver's best friend!! Good luck and once you have been at it awhile you will quit over thinking the job.

Pip

As close as cars get parked in the buildings, there is going to be paint scratches. Not a big deal. Scratches will be touched up during PMI by the mechanic. Not an issue.