Accidentally Upset 2 customers this week

Indecisi0n

Sorry but I am done customizing routes. I run the route like it is in EDD. As a split driver i hear "the other driver..." All the time. Guess what, IM NOT THE OTHER DRIVER!

stink219

Sorry but I am done customizing routes. I run the route like it is in EDD. As a split driver i hear "the other driver..." All the time. Guess what, IM NOT THE OTHER DRIVER!
Actually, if your the split driver, technically you are "the other driver".
You can use my line when I was a cover. "I apologize for the inconvenience the UPS has brought onto you." I found that being 100% nice to customers is the way to go even when they act like D-bags.

FilingBluesFL

I delivered a TV one time, (flat thin one luckily) younger girl (in her 20's) opened the door to accept package.

"When I ordered this, they said you have to stay here and make sure it works before you can leave."

"Riiiigghhhht.... I'm not a television technician, I just drive a truck. Thanks though." *walked away*

What really pisses me off is when people hold the DIAD hostage to rant and rave about how terrible our service is etc. etc.

Had an old guy scream at me for 2 minutes about how he had to wait all day for his wine and refused to sign and give back the DIAD until he was done yelling at me.

Indecisi0n

I delivered a TV one time, (flat thin one luckily) younger girl (in her 20's) opened the door to accept package.

"When I ordered this, they said you have to stay here and make sure it works before you can leave."

"Riiiigghhhht.... I'm not a television technician, I just drive a truck. Thanks though." *walked away*

What really pisses me off is when people hold the DIAD hostage to rant and rave about how terrible our service is etc. etc.

Had an old guy scream at me for 2 minutes about how he had to wait all day for his wine and refused to sign and give back the DIAD until he was done yelling at me.

Next tell the old guy "Mr please hurry with that DIAD board, I think the last guy to sign it had genital warts."

Once when I was still a swing driver I was delivering to a business own by a verified major a'hole. He had a rep for terrorizing every driver that set foot in his place. I was bulked out and did not get to his business by the time HE wanted like the regular driver.Long story short, he rants, I unload and scan without a word. Somehow I get a signature but it comes with a threat of "If you ever come this late again I'll call your supervisor". I told him to go right ahead. So he grabs the phone and proceeds to dial the center and I say "Wait, wait" to which he grins thinking he's put a scare in me. I take the phone from him and then say " Here, use the 800 number so you don't have any phone charges" as I dial the number and hand it back to him as I walk out.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This is easy. Either keep ahold of one end of the diad or politely tell the customer your not comfortable coming back and they will have to pick up all packages from now on.

I once had a customer leave a note "you better accept this 68 year old mans signature for some wine. I sat around all day until 7pm and you never came."

I left an info notice and a note that said sorry for missing you I wish I wasn't working this late. 7:05.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Unfortunately, in most cases it isnt the customers who are the root cause of these problems; its the regular drivers who are either too lazy or too spineless to follow standard policies and procedures. They are the ones who wind up putting the relief driver into a position of conflict with a customer who has developed a sense of entitlement.

Brownslave688

Once when I was still a swing driver I was delivering to a business own by a verified major a'hole. He had a rep for terrorizing every driver that set foot in his place. I was bulked out and did not get to his business by the time HE wanted like the regular driver.Long story short, he rants, I unload and scan without a word. Somehow I get a signature but it comes with a threat of "If you ever come this late again I'll call your supervisor". I told him to go right ahead. So he grabs the phone and proceeds to dial the center and I say "Wait, wait" to which he grins thinking he's put a scare in me. I take the phone from him and then say " Here, use the 800 number so you don't have any phone charges" as I dial the number and hand it back to him as I walk out.

I had a problem like this over peak with a post office lady. You have to get stuff here by 10 or it can't go out the same day. I said I won't ever be here by 10. She said ill take care of it. They will make u come early.

A week later after days of getting her stuff five minutes before close she had a little different attitude.

Unfortunately, in most cases it isnt the customers who are the root cause of these problems; its the regular drivers who are either too lazy or too spineless to follow standard policies and procedures. They are the ones who wind up putting the relief driver into a position of conflict with a customer who has developed a sense of entitlement.
It is sinful the way our company makes us treat our customers. Get us out of the building on time, put a route in, and most of these problems would go away.

FilingBluesFL

Just went through this with an angry, bitter old interior decorator. Regular driver was more than happy to put this ladys blinds and window coverings on shelves for her, with label facing a certain way so she could read it while it was on the shelf.

And then I started covering for him. "Sorry, I can't put your merchandise away for you." "Well, we'll see about that. The regular guy does it." "Well, I have a concern for my personal safety and putting your merchandise away for you could compromise my safety, and if I get hurt, I will not be covered because I was working for YOU, not UPS."

There was a big spat about it, and now we (including the regular driver) no longer put merchandise on the shelf how she wants it. There's a note on the back door to knock and wait.

Now it seems like every time I deliver there, no one answers the door, and I literally knock every 2 minutes for a 6-8 minute period, so there's no calling and complaining about me not knocking or leaving too soon.

Brownslave688

We shouldn't be allowed to chat around with our customers. I'm here to work not to talk to people all day.

When you are backed up to a dock and handing a 200 piece bulk stop up to a customer who is stacking them on pallets...chat happens.

I completely agree and I try to make small talk with most customers. However when you have 1-2 packages a simple how's your day. Fine. Have a good one. Is about all that should be exchanged. We know many drivers do much more than this.

We just had a driver locked in on a 3 day ride. He said I can't do that many stops an hour. Sup says why not? His reply and I quote "well I can't talk to all my customers and meet that stop count.

sigreq

You know it's amazing how many drivers don't follow this policy. I deliver to a lot of businesses that say oh just let me open everything and check on it real quick. I explain the policy and then I hear all kinds of whining. Oh the regular guy lets us open them everyday.

When I first started the run I am on now the previous driver would let customers open everything. One day I was at a service station/garage and had a COD for them. I walked in and gave them the shippers name and check total. They wanted to look at it first. When I told them the policy they said, "Well, Old Bud used to let us open up everything" to which I replied, "Well, I am not Old Bud---this is our policy---will it be cash, check or money order?" The customer got within 6" of my face and called me an a**hole. I then told he could pick up his package at the center.

Cash? This must have been a long time ago

JDAM00

I would have said it with a little more compassion, saying if its damaged I wish I could just take it back for you but unfortunately I'm not aloud. I would then give him phone # and best info on how to handle the problem if it is damaged, and tell him I will let the management team know about his situation ahead if time so if there is a problem they can get right on it. For the most part though you did what you were supposed to do. Right on.

Brownslave688

I would have said it with a little more compassion, saying if its damaged I wish I could just take it back for you but unfortunately I'm not aloud. I would then give him phone # and best info on how to handle the problem if it is damaged, and tell him I will let the management team know about his situation ahead if time so if there is a problem they can get right on it. For the most part though you did what you were supposed to do. Right on.

Allowed. I don't get to grammar or spell check often. This one stood out though.

JDAM00

Allowed. I don't get to grammar or spell check often. This one stood out though.

Standing alone the word allowed is not a sentence. Following the phrase with a period would technically be incorrect grammar.

Sincerely,

-Kid who grew up in the spell check age who wouldn't know what to do with a pen if you handed him one.