Adams, NY Cheese Festival- Mac and Cheese contest.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here goes:(I doubled the recipe because I handed out free samples afterwards)

1 lb elbow or cavatappi noodles. I prefer Barilla elbows. They have a nice twist. Cook until almost al-dente'.

1 lb Great Lakes 3x cheese, shredded.

1/4 lb Great Lakes 4x cheese, shredded.

1/2 lb butter

1/2 cup flour

3 tsp. salt

3 tsp. pepper

5 cups whole milk

Make a roux with the flour and butter. Cook the flour taste out of the flour, about 10 min. on low.
Add milk and whisk. Cook til simmering. Add shredded cheese and stir til melted. Add noodles and stir to coat.
Butter pan, half sheet size. Shake bread crumbs in to cover. Pour in mixture. Top with more bread crumbs, just to cover.
Bake in preheated convection oven for approximately 45-50 minutes until top is golden brown and bubbly. Let sit about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
There are no calorie counts as this has no calories in it.:wink2:
Just a quick question .....what does 3x and 4x mean after the kinds of cheese?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the photo above, 2X, 3X, and 4X refer to the sharpness of cheddar, which is the only kind of cheese with any local gravitas. Mild, medium, and sharp are irrelevant — bland supermarket cheese. The X-rated versions are made at the cheese factory in town, which has had several different owners through the years and now belongs to multi-state Great Lakes cheese, which bought it from the milk producers cooperative Dairylea sometime in the late 80s/early 90s. But the 2X/3X/4X system predates Great Lakes by a good long while. My own family is a 4X family, with 2X kept on hand for children and dogs. (Not for the elderly, who tend to like 4X just fine, alongside their Canadian rye, and their laments for the faded popularity of Limburger.) Chunks of it are served along almost anything, including pie. My uncle eats 4X crumbled on his breakfast cereal.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I never knew about X-rated cheeses. Hell, I was never even allowed to see an x-rated movie 'til senior year. I guess Ohio wasn't a great cheese state......or all of ours was imported from Italy in our family.

I'm all too familiar with 1X and 2X now, but that's enough about my wardrobe.

I never knew about X-rated cheeses. Hell, I was never even allowed to see an x-rated movie 'til senior year.

"Allowed to see an x-rated movie until senior year"

While you`ll need to start a new thread to explain this you definitely need to expand upon that statement. Conservative little ol` you.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Allowed to see an x-rated movie until senior year"

While you`ll need to start a new thread to explain this you definitely need to expand upon that statement. Conservative little ol` you.

Remember, I was on my way to the convent ??

A long time ago in a different land (N.E. Ohio) there was a publication called the Catholic Universe Bulletin. All movies were rated in there and all parents (at least the good Catholics) totally lived by those ratings. We as kids hated it, but that was "the law" for us.
137 years and they are still around....

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
I tried to google Great Lakes 3x cheese, so I could post a link. I was dumbfounded to find a link to my recipe on the BroweCafe. Too funny!!!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Well, I tried uploading pictures of the grandkids, but no go. I chose the file to upload and the swirling thing in the corner just swirls around. It happens to me so much that I think there might be a ban or something.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I know! I live in East Bum.......... I can see Canada from my parents deck at the cottage. That land across the water is Wolfe Island, Ontario, Canada. (This picture was already in my upload file)

100_0213.jpg
100_0213.jpg