add cuts and edd

balland chain

I figure you guys would like this:

Center Manager told me this morning, "Your route is on x belt, here's an add cut, go put it behind your car before you leave."

So I get up to the belt, and I ask him, "Hey, where is this car at?" "It's this one, right here, now go in that car, and pull that work off, so you can get going." "Ummmm... are you SURE???" "Yes, take those packages off, and put them under the belt..."

So I went into the car, pulled off the work, and said "OK, all the work that you told me to take off is here." As I said that, the drivers who's car that was came walking up. "Um... this is my car." "Nope, he said specifically that this is my route, even asked him twice, and he told me to take THIS work off of THIS car."

So the center manager is just staring at me with his mouth open... "So, now that I've pulled this work off... are you SUUUURRREEEEE this is the car I'm taking out??" "uhhhh uhhhh uhhh uhhhhh.... I don't know, hold on, I need to find your car..."
:funny:

​But they know it all !!

browniehound

The day is a comin' the plan is within the next 3-4 years to completely eliminate dispatchers. The computer will decide! IE will say here's the car level and the system will do it, no more dumb dispatchers putting 1 or 2 more routes out that number crunchers feel aren't good for their bottom line. More decisions being made by people in ivory towers with big calculators totally detached from reality.

I hope your joking here. You are joking, right? If they eliminate the dispatch sups and let a computer decide everything would be a total disaster. Wouldn't it? It would work I guess if it were a perfect world and the driver's day could be predictable. But, as we all know we live in a world of humans and humans are unpredictable and road conditions(construction, weather, traffic, etc.) are unpredictable. They still need a human to smooth out the edges of the computer's plan.

browniehound

why can't they get us out of the building earlier? As time goes by we leave later and later. Shouldn't it be the other way around? What ever happened to that thing called "the on-time network"?

Indecisi0n

why can't they get us out of the building earlier? As time goes by we leave later and later. Shouldn't it be the other way around? What ever happened to that thing called "the on-time network"?

I thought about this to but think about how UPS would @#$@ it up. Oh BH is leaving 45 mins earlier than normal so give him 25 more stops. The scary part is some of them can't even understand how stupid they are.

Overpaid Union Thug

One thing about dispatching that absolutely blows my mind is when I have 30 pieces that all have the same sequence number. Each section has plenty of numbers available so why does this happen? Yesterday my 5000 section started out ok but after the first three deliveries having different numbers the rest of the section was 5210.

browniehound

One thing about dispatching that absolutely blows my mind is when I have 30 pieces that all have the same sequence number. Each section has plenty of numbers available so why does this happen? Yesterday my 5000 section started out ok but after the first three deliveries having different numbers the rest of the section was 5210.

There should be absolutely no excuse for that. They will give you one that will make your head hurt though. Its totally unacceptable. If the person who created that load quality situation worked for a company with just a few employees instead of 400,000 he would be fired immediately. Crap like that can't be tolerated if your goal is to max out profits.

browniehound

One day I come to the truck and everything is PALed with the same number-1000. 350 pieces all with the #1000 on the PAL label and the truck is loaded! The pre-loader notices this at the beginning of the night and tells the pre-load supervisor. Guess what the pre-load sup says? You know it baby: Just load it.
I'll never be amazed at the true brilliance at work on the pre-load.
Needless to say, the center manager was furious at this total idiot. Really, what was he thinking? I know what he was thinking. He was thinking get them in the truck and its not my problem anymore. Did he not think anyone would call him on it?
There's too much of this at UPS and not enough team work. Remember the concept of "internal customer"? Not many do or UPS would be a much smoother place to work at.

Overpaid Union Thug

One day I come to the truck and everything is PALed with the same number-1000. 350 pieces all with the #1000 on the PAL label and the truck is loaded! The pre-loader notices this at the beginning of the night and tells the pre-load supervisor. Guess what the pre-load sup says? You know it baby: Just load it.
I'll never be amazed at the true brilliance at work on the pre-load.
Needless to say, the center manager was furious at this total idiot. Really, what was he thinking? I know what he was thinking. He was thinking get them in the truck and its not my problem anymore. Did he not think anyone would call him on it?
There's too much of this at UPS and not enough team work. Remember the concept of "internal customer"? Not many do or UPS would be a much smoother place to work at.

That happened to me once. When EDD was still brand new to our center. I am sick and tired of having multiple numbers though. Its real fun during peak when running a split route that bounces all over the map and there are 40 stops with the same exact number mixed in the same section with a series of stops that are SPAd 4210 for 10 stops. Then 4220 for 10 stops. Then 4230 for 10 more. And why would a peak route not be condensed into one area of town anyway? There is more than enough work available to keep all or most of the split routes condensed.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
One day I was given a level route with stops in 10 different route areas totaling about 180 stops in a 700 and they were all palled in the 1000 to 4000 section. Wanted to facepunch someone

browniehound

One day I was given a level route with stops in 10 different route areas totaling about 180 stops in a 700 and they were all palled in the 1000 to 4000 section. Wanted to facepunch someone

Yeah, this happened to me about a month ago. It was probably the same route because your description matches my experienced to a T. The dispatch sup gave some non-sense explanation that I completely ignored because no truck in any world in any universe for any delivery company should ever be loaded like that. Ever.

slantnosechevy

The day is a comin' the plan is within the next 3-4 years to completely eliminate dispatchers. The computer will decide! IE will say here's the car level and the system will do it, no more dumb dispatchers putting 1 or 2 more routes out that number crunchers feel aren't good for their bottom line. More decisions being made by people in ivory towers with big calculators totally detached from reality.

Yes, and before that happens the plan is to reduce to the number down to 4 dispatchers per district. Neither this situation or the one with the computer running things will work any better than what's going on now, but in their world, they've eliminated more jobs. I.E should've allowed more time in the very beginning for DOL input from drivers. Their arrogance has cost this company millions. This system could've been a smooth operation for everyone even when numbers are crunched. The system needed area knowledge in the beginning to work and didn't get it. In the beginning the area knowledge of both hourly and management were still here. Everyday more of that knowledge walks out the door. I.E. is just too arrogant to listen to the people at ground zero. In their defense, I understand some of that thinking when you have drivers working off the clock, inaccurate recording of pkgs.(sometimes directed to), and supervisors bending rules and altering numbers chasing that elusive unrealistic goal. I can't wait for the problems coming with Orian that will compound things even more.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
EDD/PAS was implemented in our center in 2007 and from 2007 -2009 I had the best loads and dispatches I have ever had as a driver. Each day was a breeze as one ran the same area every day,SPORH was thru the roof,misloads were very rare and morale was the highest I have ever seen. Also 9.5 Grievances were as rare as rocking horse schite
In 2010 route cutting and SPC was introduced,and things changed(for the worse), The past 3 years have seen the center become a collection of split routes, Stop Counts have gone up 20-30 stops a route per day, much lower SPORH,30-40 misloads a day in a 50 car center, 25-30 Excessive OT grievances a week and both management and hourly morale in the toilet.....................
And to save the day ORION will be implemented in January.

I struggle each day with the 'New UPS' and have given up thinking of the Way it Used to Be'. The complete and utter disconnect between IE and Operations is mindboggling.