Addresses Dangerous for Delivery

8 Hour Day

I searched, but didn't find a thread for this.

With all the larger packages in the system, last year, I got a 1000 to replace the 700 that was assigned to the route. Parts of the route are on winding narrow rural roads with no shoulder, and others are dead end dirt roads with nowhere to safely turn that beast around (my previous supe got stuck in a 700 on one of these roads, so they know I'm not exaggerating).

Last Summer, I got temporarily stuck trying to make a delivery by leaving the driver's side tires on the pavement and the passenger's side on the steep shoulder.

There are still 700s in the area, and our routes literally overlap (Yay dispatch!), so it would be no challenge to move these dangerous addresses to the smaller trucks (I used to make these deliveries in a 700 by driving into the driveways).

I have brought this issue up with my dispatch, supervisors (I've had 3 over the last 6 months) and manager with little success. I've discussed it in person, via phone calls, text messages, written notes and DIAD messages. Yet still... After correcting the dispatch for a couple of days, the dangerous addresses are out back on me.

When I bring it up to any one of the mgmt, they hem and hae with no real answer, usually referring me to someone else who likewise takes no responsibility.

This has been going on since August.

I have been instructed not to swap packages with drivers in 700s (who are more than willing to do so). I have been instructed not to sheet them as missed. I am also under the impression that getting a 10000 pound truck stuck in the mud is frowned upon. It's a no win situation.

Is there a company policy in regards to using the appropriate vehicle for an address? Where would I find that?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

8 Hour Day

Walk off anything you can't get to. When their over allowed goes to 3 hrs over I'm sure they will want to talk then.
I suggested that once... For some addresses, this would mean a half mile walk over rugged terrain. Ain't happening... Specifically for the folks always ordering furniture!

Indecisi0n

Wow. Thanks for the help.

Alas, I'm sure there must be a policy for assigning the proper vehicles...
There is no such policy. Just because you don't like an answer doesn't mean that it's wrong. Do you think your sups care? The only thing you have shown them so far is that you CAN do it in a 1000 because you are doing it. If you would have been grossly over from the start they would have switched you back. Looks like that ship has sailed. Good luck.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Tell them you are parking at the end of each driveway and walking them off !!!!!!!!

That is the only way you are going to change anything. Indecision is correct.

If they force you to drive on the driveways with the 1000, get it in writing and work as directed.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Walk off anything you can't get to. When their over allowed goes to 3 hrs over I'm sure they will want to talk then.

Exactly my thought. Use you hand truck. For the entire street if you need to. This will get their attention. If your not willing to walk. Then no sense trying to tell us your not gonna do it. When they started the no backing crap. I said I will walk. Now I never have a 9 hr dispatch. Play the game they set up. You will win.

8 Hour Day

There is no such policy. Just because you don't like an answer doesn't mean that it's wrong. Do you think your sups care? The only thing you have shown them so far is that you CAN do it in a 1000 because you are doing it. If you would have been grossly over from the start they would have switched you back. Looks like that ship has sailed. Good luck.

That's the thing... I haven't gotten an answer! Lol

The ship hasn't sailed yet... I deliver where it is safe and bring the others back to the pm supe. I know how that game works!

8 Hour Day

Exactly my thought. Use you hand truck. For the entire street if you need to. This will get their attention. If your not willing to walk. Then no sense trying to tell us your not gonna do it. When they started the no backing crap. I said I will walk. Now I never have a 9 hr dispatch. Play the game they set up. You will win.
I guess you'd have to see some of the roads in referring to. Being a pedestrian on the road p is inviting death.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Your answer is deliver the safest way. You need to keep your truck in a good spot to protect you. If you drive where you don't belong. That is on you. See if you can get a p500 with a trailer. Park the trailer and reload it. When you empty it. Try something if you aren't willing to walk

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I suggested that once... For some addresses, this would mean a half mile walk over rugged terrain. Ain't happening... Specifically for the folks always ordering furniture!
Put it on a hand truck and walk it off.

If you're not willing to do some walking to prove a point we can't help you.

jaker

trolling
Like others have said walk them off and why did you let them give you a 1000

I drive a 700 and I know I need a 1000 and they want to give me one but I won't take it , because two things will happen I can't complain about a bricked out truck and they will give me more stops

8 Hour Day

Like others have said walk them off and why did you let them give you a 1000

I drive a 700 and I know I need a 1000 and they want to give me one but I won't take it , because two things will happen I can't complain about a bricked out truck and they will give me more stops
The 1000 came from my leaving packages behind because they wouldn't fit in the truck! Lol... Service failures speak loudly!

I know all the little strategies I can do to coerce them into action.

I was hoping someone knew of a company policy regarding assigning proper vehicles to service addresses with unique delivery challenges.

8 Hour Day

Put it on a hand truck and walk it off.

If you're not willing to do some walking to prove a point we can't help you.
Being willing to walk isn't the issue. There's plenty of that on the route. These aren't roads you walk down without risking your life (thus the title of the thread).

I know very well how to play the game. I didn't post looking for tried and true strategies to get dispatch to do their stupid job properly, but for info on policies.

NXA

Being willing to walk isn't the issue. There's plenty of that on the route. These aren't roads you walk down without risking your life (thus the title of the thread).

I know very well how to play the game. I didn't post looking for tried and true strategies to get dispatch to do their stupid job properly, but for info on policies.
This calls for a photograph.