Advice for an old guy starting at UPS.

browndingo

You need a year safe driving in package cars before you can bid into feeders. FT or PT air driving does not count.
There may be a "back door" if you look into it. At my center we were told that for bidding purposes anyone on the feeder coverage list was considered in the feeder classification, so they'd get first crack at signing a bid sheet for an open permanent feeder position. There were a couple FT drivers who were on the coverage list, but they dropped off so now the most senior guy on the list is a part time sorter. It hasn't happened yet, but from what we were told he could jump directly from part time insider to full time feeder without a year of UPS safe driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There may be a "back door" if you look into it. At my center we were told that for bidding purposes anyone on the feeder coverage list was considered in the feeder classification, so they'd get first crack at signing a bid sheet for an open permanent feeder position. There were a couple FT drivers who were on the coverage list, but they dropped off so now the most senior guy on the list is a part time sorter. It hasn't happened yet, but from what we were told he could jump directly from part time insider to full time feeder without a year of UPS safe driving.

This is correct----the only thing that I am uncertain of is the impact, if any, of a more senior employee transferring in to your center.