Advice for dad on selling shares vs dividend /on topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPS4dad

Dad has been retired years now. Years. His stock is still class A. He has over 11,000 shares. We are trying to encourage him to covert to class B, and sell enough to gift his kids a one time $14,000 each. He does not like the "sell" word. It reduces his dividend amount. He is not in ill health, he lives at home, has no payments on the house.. Selling enough shares to gift 3 kids one time will reduce his dividend by 1000$. Is UPS going to continue to give him a .78 per share dividend with Amazon gaining shipper status strength? If he wants us to reap the most from his retirement... God forbid... Is keeping the stock and collecting the dividend better than selling a little and gifting his kids? I want to give him sound advice.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'd tell the little beggars to go make their own way!!!

If and when I want to start passing out $$$$ I'll let ya know

UPS4dad

they are making their own way. Each is respectably employeed. None of them are irresponsible. The goal is to help him figure out which way is better to give. He wants to give them the most. The question is which way is better. To sell and gift or to keep and divide the dividend.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
they are making their own way. Each is respectably employeed. None of them are irresponsible. The goal is to help him figure out which way is better to give. He wants to give them the most. The question is which way is better. To sell and gift or to keep and divide the dividend.

See above response ^^^

UPS4dad

Can you provide more to support your advice? Maybe you both missed the part about him wanting to leave or give his kids the most from this stock form of investment/retirement. You're saying that his kids will benefit the most by leaving his stock in class a, and dividing the dividend between them, rather than him selling some now and keeping his remaining dividends? Just looking for valid provable advice rather than personal opinion. But if that's all ya got, then thanks. I'll move on.

Retiree

Once you sell the shares they are gone and no more dividend. You did not earn them....he did. Let him keep his shares until they pass to you and then you can do whatever you want to.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

Do your kids even lift?

Retiree

Also, you asked if UPS will still pay a dividend, why don't you research your own question and go look at the dividend history at UPS?

upschuck

Nothing worse than kids pressuring parents to give them money. Bunch of ingrates. It is his money, you said he doesn't want to sell, yet you still want him too.

Let it be, or he may gift it all to some charity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Dad has been retired years now. Years. His stock is still class A. He has over 11,000 shares. We are trying to encourage him to covert to class B, and sell enough to gift his kids a one time $14,000 each. He does not like the "sell" word. It reduces his dividend amount. He is not in ill health, he lives at home, has no payments on the house.. Selling enough shares to gift 3 kids one time will reduce his dividend by 1000$. Is UPS going to continue to give him a .78 per share dividend with Amazon gaining shipper status strength? If he wants us to reap the most from his retirement... God forbid... Is keeping the stock and collecting the dividend better than selling a little and gifting his kids? I want to give him sound advice.
Keep the shares, reap dividends, don't pay Cap Gains tax.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

This from personal experience: before he starts 'gifting', you may want to spend the money and consult with an elder care attorney.

Gifting could come back and bite him in the ass.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Can you provide more to support your advice? Maybe you both missed the part about him wanting to leave or give his kids the most from this stock form of investment/retirement. You're saying that his kids will benefit the most by leaving his stock in class a, and dividing the dividend between them, rather than him selling some now and keeping his remaining dividends? Just looking for valid provable advice rather than personal opinion. But if that's all ya got, then thanks. I'll move on.
He has moved on so RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.