Unmarried couples sharing expenses----on topic

Should unmarried couples have a written agreement in place when paying off student loan debt?

• Total voters

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Not being an assh* but the divorce and separation rate for marriages where the woman makes more money makes it more a matter of when than if.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If they have nothing in writing they both take their chances and let the chips fall where they may. They can go their separate ways as if they were never a couple if they so choose.

As soon as they both sign onto a legal document that ability goes away. It seems to me that signing locks them both into something neither might want at all. Consider that if your son is investing into her education (and she his) either might have a good claim to future earnings after that investment, if they have a written agreement. If they part ways, it's likely neither would want that.

Life's about risk and sometimes a gamble is better than a sure thing. Especially if that sure thing is about losing future income.

It's also generally a lose/lose when parents involve themselves in the couples finances. I speak from personal experience on this.

Let them handle it and everyone will be happier in the long run.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They could side step any legal entanglements all together by keeping previous debts separate. If he moves in and starts paying part of the mortgage it would be no different than a scenario of someone paying rent, so no claim to repayment in case of a break up, i.e. he is receiving value for his payment in form of shelter. By combining and sharing their living expenses they would both have extra money to direct towards paying down their own individual debts. If it progressed to marriage, then they can combine everything and focus on paying down debts in whatever order they agreed made the most sense.

E

el blanco

They could side step any legal entanglements all together by keeping previous debts separate. If he moves in and starts paying part of the mortgage it would be no different than a scenario of someone paying rent, so no claim to repayment in case of a break up, i.e. he is receiving value for his payment in form of shelter. By combining and sharing their living expenses they would both have extra money to direct towards paying down their own individual debts. If it progressed to marriage, then they can combine everything and focus on paying down debts in whatever order they agreed made the most sense.

best answer

upschuck

If they signed such an agreement, why not just pay their own loans, and not worry about any of the other "bookkeeping"?

rod

Retired 22 years
I though you were paying off the student loans---why should they care what arrangements are made?