Advice for Female

P

proups

roboto: to answer your question:

UPS is an equal employment opportunity employer. That means they agree to government monitored equal employment programs that track hires and percentages of the workforce compared to the people that live in the surrounding areas. If it is equal, UPS is O.K. If not, then we have some work to do.

Having said that, there are probably many women that live near you and your center. Compare that to your workforce and see if it matches up. If not, your center needs more female drivers. End of story.

M

mr_roboto

A letter from the future...when the girls are a majority at UPS.

danniboy's letter (from below) written by dannigirl in the year 2020.

(any changes are in parenthesis).....

(BOY)

Sorry for some of the posts here, some of the posters are throwbacks to the time of "you should be (out hunting with a club)"

We have several (men) that work for us here, and many can do the job quite well, some even better than some of the most masculine (gals).

Here they are treated just like one of the (girls). One of our drivers even worked untill (his hernia popped), twice. I dont know how (he) does it! (he) has my total respect and admiration. They do start (him) at 9:30AM so (he) can take (his) children to daycare that doesnt open till 9. It is not unusual for (him) to work till 9-10PM.

As for being (bulge less in the pants) because of the work, that just isnt so. Several of the (males) that work here are gay and had a (feminine) build to start with. But there are several that are amply endowed and have stayed that way. And (Rodney), well let us just say that after 20 years at UPS the first thing that still enters the room is (his bulge).

So dont let the nay sayers talk you out of a career at UPS. It is hard work, long hours, and definatly not for everybody. 80% of (gals) dont make it. But if you apply yourself and take care of your body 'work safely' then you should and can go far!

Good luck and let me know how you make out with your new job.

(dannigirl)

(Message edited by mr_roboto on November 15, 2003)

(Message edited by mr_roboto on November 15, 2003)

M

mr_roboto

See Dannyboy...two people attempted to answer my questions. One didn't even insult me. Why don't you grow up.

As far as being motivated...unlike you I don't constantly dwell on how many days are left until my retirement. I enjoy my job and plan to work for UPS for another 28 years. I'll be 75 years old at that time with 50 years service at UPS.

btw...the girls here like me just fine.

Well it's time for me to take my unmotivated self out for the weekend. I'd tell you what I have planned but it might give you a heart attack just thinking about it.

roboto

S

steward

Got my 18 year old son hired two weeks ago, was easy actually.
Im very pleased, think its the best oppourtunity out there for someone not college bound.
my son could retire 10 years after his dad, 10 years younger.

T

toonertoo

Mr Roboto, I didnt mean to insult you, you just seemed hateful. I am sure you have recovered from any hurt I have caused you, after all its only a board. I never thought of that remark about needing more women as sexist, I guess some would take it that way. just a fact that quotas require more women to be hired because of the percentage at UPS. But since fulltime progression in most areas goes so many more from the inside than outside, and by seniority PT, and since there are so many more men now I dont ever see it being equal. (so rest easy in your next 25 yrs.) And when a woman gets the chance, and doesnt make it, which happens alot, UPS has made the effort, so I do not believe they are required to "make sure they make it" to meet the quota, that would be wrong, because they do not make that effort for the men that fail. Have a great weekend.

D

dannyboy

Toner

Lets get something straight. You EARNED your job. Nobody gave you your chance, just because you were a woman. You earned it. And each and every day you re-earn that respect and right.

And dont let any mealy mouthed would be tell you any different.

THe usage of the term Quotas do not apply in your case, nor in any other woman's case that I know of in the hourly positions. You all have earned the right to wear the brown just like any of the other drivers that do the job, male or female. If you couldnt do the job, you wouldnt have the job.

AS for the use of the word Quota in respect to middle and upper management positions at UPS, I really dont know. But I would suspect that if you were not qualified for the job, you would not get it. IF there were two that were equally competent to do the same job, and one was male and the other female, which would the company choose? Prob the female. But that would apply to any minority, not just females.

d

T

toonertoo

Thats what I was trying to say Danny, but you say it better.
I know I earned it, and so does every employee earn it, in any capacity, male or female. And I stuck it out 8 long years to get there, and enjoyed it all. Still enjoy it most days. For 2 years Most drivers didnt talk to me since I was an outside hire, and they thought I was there to infiltrate because I came from another center, as a pt supervisor. I feel I waited my turn, didnt pull anyones seniority to get this job, I had to quit and be rehired. that was scary. I drove 140 miles a day to get to work for 4 yrs, until my kids graduated and went on with their lives, then I moved closer, so I did pay my dues. And there are drivers that used to despise me, that are now my closest friends, and they felt the same way as other posters til they realized we are all in this kind of job for the same reasons. To make a decent living, because we love meeting people, and feel like in maybe a small way that we make a difference. I as others have degrees that should have taken us elsewhere, but once here, I liked it here. My goal was management, but after 6 yrs in PT mgmt, I realized that was not for me. I love working with the guys, we have fun, and I know many of their wivesand kids, its like family, and its warm and comfy here. When I need help because I get dispatched with 15 hrs work, I had four buds show up to help,when they had football games to get to, and it was pouring buckets of rain, and I thought I was alone for the duration. because they know I got overloaded, not because I am inferior, and when they get slammed, they know I will be there as soon as I can. I have had many jobs and never had the kind of high caliber people to work with as I have had at UPS. That is why I like it here.

thanks for the support.

T

trouble1903

Good post Toonertoo!!! I only said what I said, about needing more females brcause it's nice to have more females around IMO. I didn't say it to start any thing. The job is hard no matter who you are, but it's harder some times in different ways for males then it is for females and vice versa.

I do take excecption to men thinking I'm butch or unfeminie because of my job choice. I really do think that unfair. Men are nurses, teachers and sales clerks, why can't women be truck drivers or for that fact thing they what to be?

I do my job and do it the best I can, just like every other person on my center.

D

dammor

Roboto,

Gee, I hate to mess up the warm fuzzy feeling you may be having, but I don't think the "GIRLS" as you still insist on calling them have apologized for anything. Nor should they.
Seems no matter how small or large a group there is always at least one that has no other purpose in life but to irritate the others. I should know better. The attention is what you were looking for and we gave it to you. No more.....

S

smf0605

dammor - don't worry about it. Trying to get roboto to see that he is sexist is futile, he will never understand what you are talking about.

Most women have met many men like roboto. We do what we always do with idiots - we ignore them

B

brown138

I have to problem with women working at UPS.
If they can do the job no problem. Hey my wife works there. It is a physical job, she could of went driving fulltime but turned it down. She had a taste of it with Air driving, no way did she want to do that everyday.

The person who started this tread invites a sexist response with a title such as "Advice for a female". Never seen "Advice for a male", usually just "New hire" or whatever. The poster is being the sexist saying they are different or should be treated differently by asking for responses based on the fact that she is female and your responses should be geared toward that.

Its a physical job, if you want it by all means do it, male of female. I hope this tread is dead!

D

dannyboy

You stated you had to (I assume you meant two) problems with women working at UPS, but you never get into the problems you have with it.

Sounds like your wife is like several women in our center. They do not want full time, just part time, for benifits mostly. Bt there are many other part time employees that are not female that do not want full time also, so it is not just a female thing. Delivery is not for everybody. It is a physcal job, and very demanding. Not all part timers can handle that.

d

O

over9five

Has anyone considered that the reason we have so few women at UPS is that it is a highly physical job that most normal women cant do?

D

dammor

"The person who started this tread invites a sexist response with a title such as "Advice for a female". Never seen "Advice for a male"

Brown, what in the hell are you talking about? Everything on here is advice for male because the females are few and far between. God forbid there should be a thread that women could actually have a say in and get some helpful advice from other women AND the men who are willing to give it without the common crud that seems to ride on the back of it.

"Has anyone considered that the reason we have so few women at UPS is that it is a highly physical job that most normal women cant do?"

9five,
This statement is even worse. Where did these mutant women come from that have the will and the strength to work at UPS? Sorry, but I don't understant the problem here. It's like the show Fear Facter. A woman won over a bull rider and you would think his life was over by his reaction. Only because a woman won. She must not have been a "normal woman."

B

brown138

Sorry for mistype, I meant i have no problem with women at UPS. Its hard job if they want to do then do it. Heck most days i don't want to do it. That's why i just went into Feeder. Finally made it. Good luck to "everyone" this peak.

G

grl

I went to what I thought would be a driver's helper interview but it turned out to be an information session. I was disappointed because I was told on the phone it would be an interview and what items I needed to bring. There were about 60 other people there, some who had made appointments like me and others who walked in. A few folks from the workforce division were there but only one did any talking. When he finished his presentation he told us we would have to come back the next morning to fill out an application, I understand they do this to see who is really committed to doing the job but it was a let down just the same. The thing I found disturbing though was the way he presented how quickly you could be driving - he said if you did a good job as a driver's helper they would find a p/t handler job for you after December 25th - from reading this board I'd say that was probably true but then he went on to say if you did a good job loading/unloading you could be driving a truck once you had 3 things:
1) you were 21
2) you could drive a stick
3) you got a cdl
Once all 3 of those conditons were met you would be making 60 G's -- he implied that you could be making the move to friend/t driver as soon as you had those 3 things. Once again from reading these posts I have gathered that it takes a lot longer to gain a friend/t position. I just felt bad for all the folks who think they are going to take an $8 hr. job and then be making 60 G's within 6 months. It was really weird this dude kept bringing the 60 G's up (and that's exactly the way he said it) he must have said it over a half a dozen times. Anyway I intended to go back the next morning to fill out an application but that evening I got a call about another job I had interviewed for and I accepted - it's p/t so I will check out the UPS tour for handler on thursday.

O

over9five

Sorry, Dammor, youre right. I should have said there are so few women at UPS because only an exceptional woman can handle the rigorous job

T

toonertoo

People ask questions where they think they can get good advice. Just like researching stocks, or mutual funds, you go to the experts. sometimes the advice is bad, sometimes its good, and you have to know how to sort it out.
I know I am glad when I hear a guy admit he gets tired and sore, then I know I am still holding up as good as anyone when I ache from physical labor. I dont think I am abnormal or a mutant, just lucky that I got the chance, and lucky that I have the strength, and as you all know physical is only a part of it. The ability to handle the stress, the vehicle, the drivers on the road, the weather conditions, the time constraints, is enough to overwhelm the strongest person at many times. If that makes me exceptional, then YEAH for me!!!!! I appreciate this CAFE.