Advice/Tips/Suggestions for Future BrownWoman?

overallowed

If this is really what youu want, then give it your best shot. I hate to sound like a downer, but the odds are stacked against you. You said you are 33, and that is getting a late start. I hope you are in great physical condition, because if you are not, it will show up real soon. Many womens bodies can't take the beating of handling all those packages and getting in and out of the package car 150+ times a day. I've seen a lot of them come and go in my nearly 30 years. A few of them were athletes at Division1 college programs. They left either broken or with scars. Get used to the aches and pains.
Achieving seniority is a slow process with the economy the way it is. Like some of the others have said, it can take years to get a chance to drive, and you will be a cover driver for who knows how long. By then you will most likely be in your 40's.
If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the school bus. The load walks on and walks off.

brownrodster

Imagine 150 first graders packed into the back of your truck like sardines. You have to carry each of those kids up to their front door. That's the life of a UPS driver. As a bus driver those kids load and unload themselves.

rod

Retired 22 years
There was a time I would recomend giving UPS a shot-----but now I would advise you to take the school bus job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Imagine 150 first graders packed into the back of your truck like sardines. You have to carry each of those kids up to their front door. That's the life of a UPS driver. As a bus driver those kids load and unload themselves.

The big difference between 150 packages and 150 first graders is the packages are a lot quieter.:happy2: Take the bus driving job.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the school bus. The load walks on and walks off.

LOL..that is really funny and informative. Thank You. I'm in ok shape not great shape per-say...I'm a thick curvy woman...190 pds 5'9....I use to play basketball way back when..lol...maybe I will reconsider....my ex-husband told me the same thing all of you all are saying...I want to thank you all for the GREAT advice.....all of you are really very nice and informative...Thanks alot....I have an interview today (2:30)....for the helper...I may just cancel it...or just work for the season till the other job (bus driver) comes through..I have an interview with Headstart in my area for a full time bus driver with benefits on Friday and another interview with First Student (Bus driver) on Mon...you still think I should just forget the seasonal help all together?...I just want a good job to take care of my family and to be a the company for a looong time and to be happy...

tarbar66

Give it a shot, If you don't you;ll never know.

They might be hiring seasonal people for the Nite hub or preload in New Stanton which sounds like the best deal for you and your family situation.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I drove for 2 school districts for a total of 6 yrs. High school, elementary and kindergarten. If you love kids and can deal well with them, take the bus driving job.

To me, school bus driving is alot like waitressing, I will never go back unless I have no choice.

over9five

Staff member
Tough decision, I'm not sure.

Read the news, there is a lot more violence on school busses than you'll ever see as a UPS driver.

Tough decision, I'm not sure.

Read the news, there is a lot more violence on school busses than you'll ever see as a UPS driver.
..yes i do hear that. I think if I decide to do the school bus it will be with Headstart...with headstart..its ALL about safety and I have a helper on the bus with the young children......so I really don't have to worry about violence on the bus, driving for headstart as oppose to the elem/middle/high school. I will be going to my interview(UPS) and take it from there....the driver helper job is for seasonal anyway...if they decide to pick me for the job I will do it..its only for a month...and go from there...by reading about UPS it very unlikly I work the seasonal and then after get a driver job..so I just take whats given and work form there...do the seasonal job till Headstart comes through..I guess....

BTW...does anyone know the wages for driver helper in my area...Uniontown, PA, New Stanton, PA?? Thanks

brownrodster

.by reading about UPS it very unlikly I work the seasonal and then after get a driver job..

Right now the probability of walking off the street and into a UPS driver job is equal to that of getting hit by lightning on a sunny day.

And if you were that one in a billion to walk into a driver job you would then have to pass the grueling probationary period. Someone in your physical condition would have an extremely difficult time with this. You need to show up to this job in great shape.

P

pickup

Take the school bus driving job and forget about UPS!!!

option: take the school bus driving job. Sounds like you will get a c.d.l out of the deal and you will learn how to drive shift . If you ended up hating the job, apply to ups next year as a seasonal driver(many centers start hiring in the summer as well as early in the year. Just an idea

Ultimately you know all the facts about your situation, we don't. So weigh every thing you read on this thread and others, past and present and decide

option: take the school bus driving job. Sounds like you will get a c.d.l out of the deal and you will learn how to drive shift . If you ended up hating the job, apply to ups next year as a seasonal driver(many centers start hiring in the summer as well as early in the year. Just an idea

Ultimately you know all the facts about your situation, we don't. So weigh every thing you read on this thread and others, past and present and decide
@pickup ... :happy2:THAT IS A GREAT IDEA..AND SOLUTION...IDEA...PLAN FOR THE NEAR FUTURE! THANKS A BILLION!!:happy-very:

@UPSSOCKS...Thanks FOR THE INFO YOUR PROVIDED.:peaceful:

UPDATE: Went to interview..they weren't even really ready for us...told a little about the job had us write our info on paper and then she haded us paper with her writing telling us to come back next tues....2-3 of us at a time was coming and going...in middle of her talking people was coming..and get this they weren't even late...I was early..told us we will be on-call...that we may work 4 hrs here and maybe moree later...depends she said...we will get a call on the same day they need us and have to be ready,,,,WHAT..what about the ones with children/daycare...one woman said how she gonna be on call with a daycare.....I don't know...I told her my children's father will be watching mine...then she said that this position is a way to get out foot in the door....so I will update nxt week...when I go back in...and also she didn't know the wages we have to wait till nxt week...(shaking my head) Oh well what can you do....just take and deal with it..its life....(I guess)

P

pickup

UPDATE: Went to interview..they weren't even really ready for us...told a little about the job had us write our info on paper and then she haded us paper with her writing telling us to come back next tues....2-3 of us at a time was coming and going...in middle of her talking people was coming..and get this they weren't even late...I was early..told us we will be on-call...that we may work 4 hrs here and maybe moree later...depends she said...we will get a call on the same day they need us and have to be ready,,,,WHAT..what about the ones with children/daycare...one woman said how she gonna be on call with a daycare.....I don't know...I told her my children's father will be watching mine...then she said that this position is a way to get out foot in the door....so I will update nxt week...when I go back in...and also she didn't know the wages we have to wait till nxt week...(shaking my head) Oh well what can you do....just take and deal with it..its life....(I guess)

it doesn't surprise me one bit, this is very typical

P

pickup

I drove for 2 school districts for a total of 6 yrs. High school, elementary and kindergarten. If you love kids and can deal well with them, take the bus driving job.

To me, school bus driving is alot like waitressing, I will never go back unless I have no choice.

school bus driving is also a lot like waitressing in that you can go back when you need to .

UPSSOCKS

Where was your interview at??