Advice/Tips/Suggestions for Future BrownWoman?

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I drove a school bus in high school. Best job I have ever had. Picked up 60 of my best friends. All middle school and high school. I can even remember the bus number-503-4023

whiskey

LOL..that is really funny and informative. Thank You. I'm in ok shape not great shape per-say...I'm a thick curvy woman...190 pds 5'9....I use to play basketball way back when..lol...maybe I will reconsider....my ex-husband told me the same thing all of you all are saying...I want to thank you all for the GREAT advice.....all of you are really very nice and informative...Thanks alot....I have an interview today (2:30)....for the helper...I may just cancel it...or just work for the season till the other job (bus driver) comes through..I have an interview with Headstart in my area for a full time bus driver with benefits on Friday and another interview with First Student (Bus driver) on Mon...you still think I should just forget the seasonal help all together?...I just want a good job to take care of my family and to be a the company for a looong time and to be happy...
yes.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you could drive this bus:

bus.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont know where to start.
First of all congrats on 7 wonderful children,
2nd and then Ups doesnt care that you have 7 children. They only care that you show up.
From my perspective as a single mother of only 2, the part time job worked great. I am thankful for unanswered prayers I did not go full time until they were in high school. It would have been a nightmare, and the guilt would have killed me, not to mention with the part time position, I was able to make a decent wage, for that time 1984-1992 and make most events.
3rd I would take whatever I could get to get the flavor. If you take the seasonal helper, and you are good and let them know that you have interest in becoming permanent pt, they will keep you in mind. Especially if you make an impression on the drivers who will keep you in mind.
4th when I was interviewed I was told, "we dont want a call that you cant make it in because of child care, sick kids whatever, we need dependability" So today that would be a violation of some eeoc rule, but then there wasnt one I was aware of. You should be proud to have such a large wonderful family, but if asked that question which you shouldnt be asked as they dont ask the men, you tell them "I am planning to enter the workforce and all the details of child care have been addressed. Period. And in my vast experience at UPS there are as many men who call off when kids are sick as there are women. Just thought I would add that.
5th It does not matter what shape you are in. Unless grossly overweight, and you weigh what I do, which is a little high, but I can still tear up the younger guys in endurance, I ve been around longer:smart: The shape you think you are in is irrelevant. Ive seen Hulk Hogan looking guys cry by the end of a day. And quit. And little twig guys and girls eat it up and love it. You will hurt where you didnt know you had places, and then the alarm will go off and you will want to cry, but you do it again for your family.
so weigh the pros and cons, and let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Or pm.

If this is really what youu want, then give it your best shot. I hate to sound like a downer, but the odds are stacked against you. You said you are 33, and that is getting a late start. I hope you are in great physical condition, because if you are not, it will show up real soon. Many womens bodies can't take the beating of handling all those packages and getting in and out of the package car 150+ times a day. I've seen a lot of them come and go in my nearly 30 years. A few of them were athletes at Division1 college programs. They left either broken or with scars. Get used to the aches and pains.
Achieving seniority is a slow process with the economy the way it is. Like some of the others have said, it can take years to get a chance to drive, and you will be a cover driver for who knows how long. By then you will most likely be in your 40's.
If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the school bus. The load walks on and walks off.

I have been working at ups for over 12 years. I am now 45. I have been driving full time for 9 yrs. If you want something bad enough like the security to take care of yourself and your family then take the chance of having a future. You can have a future at ups IF you are willing to work your ass off. When I started part time, I worked 2 jobs to make ends meet. The benefits you get are worth the blood sweat and tears you shed for this job. And yes, you will shed all the above if you work for this company. You will pay your dues like with all jobs but you are not too old to start. You will also drive in all kinds of weather, be prepared ups dont stop for blizzards!! It is a very hard job and I deliver pkgs that weight more then I do. I missed alot of school functions my kids were involved in because you deliver til your done. The body hurts and aches and motrin becomes your best friend. But if you are looking for a "rest of your life job" and your willing to go out and kick butt every day give it a try. The benefits greatly out weight the cons.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
..then she said that this position is a way to get out foot in the door..
This is not true. If you got on the part time seniority list then your foot would be in the door. By contract helpers can be worked until the end of December(rarely work after Christmas eve though) after that you will be told don't call us we'll call you.

This is not true. If you got on the part time seniority list then your foot would be in the door. By contract helpers can be worked until the end of December(rarely work after Christmas eve though) after that you will be told don't call us we'll call you.
I KNEW it wasn't true....THEY are HUNGREY for workers around this time and will tell us anything. It doesn't matter....I will work for the seasonal time and go from there....I'm 33 and I do have a family...and money isn't everything...as long as I have a job and taking care of my family..I'll have my CDL real soon sooo I have lots of options....I'll go from there.

BTW update: I took my CDL test today and pass them ALL!! CDL knowledge Test, Passengers, School Bus and AirBrake ....yayyyyyyy:happy-very:

TO ALL the UPS workers....You all are really GREAT! HARDWORKING! ..and I just wanted to say Thanks. Before I thought about joining UPS I didn't know the drivers/package handlers/ etc...work soooo HARD for your customers, YOUR BOSS, YOUR FAMILY! They should have a UPS DAY for all the UPS workers and their HARD WORK! I want to let you guys know this...cause your jobs are important...and alot of people don't see that...You ALL deserve more then what you are getting! Keep up the GOOD WORK! and Keep staying STRONG! through the ups and downs.
.....Just wanted to let you ALL know that!
Be BLess!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
!

TO ALL the UPS workers....You all are really GREAT! HARDWORKING! ..and I just wanted to say Thanks. Before I thought about joining UPS I didn't know the drivers/package handlers/ etc...work soooo HARD for your customers, YOUR BOSS, YOUR FAMILY! They should have a UPS DAY for all the UPS workers and their HARD WORK! I want to let you guys know this...cause your jobs are important...and alot of people don't see that...You ALL deserve more then what you are getting! Keep up the GOOD WORK! and Keep staying STRONG! through the ups and downs.
.....Just wanted to let you ALL know that!
Be BLess!

"You are all really GREAT! HARDWORKING!"

That is pushing it. :knockedout: but thank you and good luck with whatever you decide to do.