afraid to speak out about sexual harassment

formymax

Figure out if you are in a "one party" state for recording purposes. If you are, RadioShack sells a very small digital voice recorder. Then, tape his comments and notify the Union and possibly consult an attorney. Personally, if his comments and actions are as egregious as you've described (and can prove it), I wouldn't even bother with the Union. It must be a very tough and frustrating situation to experience. Most importantly, whether she is able to record or not, she must document, document, document. She needs to start a notebook detailing times, dates, witnesses, comments, etc.. If she has written details of numerous encounters with specific times of day, dates and converstaions, they may take the situation more seriously - or not. Either way, it can't hurt to start a journal. Good luck.

Future

Victory Ride
A friend of mine was sexually harrassed for almost a year by a full time sup. She had had enough and reported the sup. They force her to produce witnesses and they interview the witnesses but they all say they saw or heard nothing (expected). Employee was treated poorly during the whole ordeal. Was told that she was probably overreacting and that this full time sup was a great guy and has been working for UPS for a long time and they have never heard such a thing. Employee was moved away after the report was made but they said they could make no promises she would not have to deal with this sup again.
My question is what should she do now? She is still very uncomfortable at the job but cannot quit. Had and still is seeing a therapist all since this began. Cannot quit until done with school.
Is she hot?????

ymelord

Be careful, depending on the state you live in, that could very well be illegal, many states make it highly illegal to tape another person without their consent. Not also is the tape illegal to use in court to prove your case, you will most likely go to jail for this.
Never go in to UPS to tape the offender, without telling him, which would be stupid. Go into UPS to tape conversations between you, and a consenting co-worker, if sup says anything it's usually admissible. Co-worker has to work close enough for you to tape. I have things on tape, UPS knows it, the union knows it, and knows I still do it, and I'm not go to quit doing it. Can't tape hearings though.

UPSGUY72

Never go in to UPS to tape the offender, without telling him, which would be stupid. Go into UPS to tape conversations between you, and a consenting co-worker, if sup says anything it's usually admissible. Co-worker has to work close enough for you to tape. I have things on tape, UPS knows it, the union knows it, and knows I still do it, and I'm not go to quit doing it. Can't tape hearings though.

In a lot of states as long as one person knows the conversation is being recorded it legal....

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Too much red tape with the recording...especially with UPS's policy about bringing electronics into work.

Simply get some better witnesses. That's truly your best bet.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Too much red tape with the recording...especially with UPS's policy about bringing electronics into work.

Simply get some better witnesses. That's truly your best bet.
Great advice, and just befriend a bigger bully, as he sounds like an a**wipe, nothing lethal. A bigger bully would have great fun with that idiot. I wish I could be there to help, have no fear, the truth stands tall.