After Two Weeks

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Messaged in about 30 minutes ago saying there was a death in the family and was wondering if someone could finish my route..."we need you to get it done. The faster you go the faster you can get home t your family" I couldn't believe it but at the same
Time it's what I expected...leave while you can this place is bogus
Asking?

Depending on how close the family member is I'm either finishing the day or calling in and saying I can't finish. No way I'm asking.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Messaged in about 30 minutes ago saying there was a death in the family and was wondering if someone could finish my route..."we need you to get it done. The faster you go the faster you can get home t your family" I couldn't believe it but at the same
Time it's what I expected...leave while you can this place is bogus
How about the relatives that call two days later? Thanks for the heads up Uncle Joe.

fedx

Extra Large Package
After two weeks on the job as a preloader, I don't understand how people do this for years and sometimes decades; chasing that elusive possible drivers position and great benefits I suppose. In my initial post, I made a comment about how I didn't get how people could be bitter about working here; I understand 100% now. Soul-sucking and life consuming should be the proper job description.

An actual image of UPS.
latest
The bad part about UPS loaders is they are the "slaves" of the company. They bust their butts off for $9/hr and no benefits for a year. What a bunch of crap. You can go work at Burger King for $9/hr and not even work 1/10th as hard as you would at UPS. What's sad is UPS is the gold standard in pay for everything EXCEPT loaders. You have feeder drivers making over $100K a year. You have package car drivers making over $80K a year. Then you have the loaders making under $20K. Seems fair right? Really it's a pyramid scheme where all the high paying driving jobs are paid for by not paying any of the loaders fairly. Sure you can "pay your dues" as a loader, wait, and maybe in a few years you can be a driver or wait 20 to 25 years and become a feeder driver. UPS knows they can under pay loaders who want to get their foot in the door, but quit after a few years of going nowhere. UPS got all that cheap labor in the meantime. I don't know if the loaders are represented by the union, but it sure doesn't seem like it. If they are, I wouldn't pay any dues since you're so highly underpaid. You aren't getting any benefits of a union, so I wouldn't pay any dues until you get paid similar to what drivers make. That's only fair in a union shop.

Last edited:

Box Ox

The bad part about UPS loaders is they are the "slaves" of the company. They bust their butts off for $9/hr and no benefits for a year. What a bunch of crap. You can go work at Burger King for $9/hr and not even work 1/10th as hard as you would at UPS. What's sad is UPS is the gold standard in pay for everything EXCEPT loaders. You have feeder drivers making over $100K a year. You have package car drivers making over $80K a year. Then you have the loaders making under $20K. Seems fair right? Really it's a pyramid scheme where all the high paying driving jobs are paid for by not paying any of the loaders fairly. Sure you can "pay your dues" as a loader, wait, and maybe in a few years you can be a driver or wait 20 to 25 years and become a feeder driver. UPS knows they can under pay loaders who want to get their foot in the door, but quit after a few years of going nowhere. UPS got all that cheap labor in the meantime. I don't know if the loaders are represented by the union, but it sure doesn't seem like it. If they are, I wouldn't pay any dues since you're so highly underpaid. You aren't getting any benefits of a union, so I wouldn't pay any dues until you get paid similar to what drivers make. That's only fair in a union shop.

Eh, I dunno. Went through the UPS PT experience. Making peanuts for a few years to make the big bucks for the rest of my career still sounds better than the FedEx approach to pay and benefits. Could be wrong.

ManInBrown

Like I said depends on the family member but highly unlikely that firing would stick.

"I'm mentally unfit to continue working"
This.

If we're talking parent, sibling, or grandparent I'm driving that truck back to the center without "asking" them. When I got back I would explain the situation to whatever management was there and I'm leaving. No way I'm finishing the day. And I'm certainly not "asking" them anything.

Sorry for your loss Dookie

ManInBrown

One thing I've really come to realize is the money isn't as great as it used to be, relative to the ridiculous dispatches. I made $1966 last week and punched out last night at 10:17. Ridiculous. My route went out with 35 more stops then a normal heavy day. The other 2 routes in my loop went out with average days. I was told it was because a split got cut last minute. Then I'm told one of the drivers in my loop will be coming to take work when done to help. Never happened.

I'm on the 9.5 doesn't matter they just violate you. I file every week. Does nothing. It's really getting out of hand. It's almost like working 2 jobs sometimes with the stupid dispatches. Punching out at 10:17 is a joke. Walking up to people's houses at 9:45. Bullsheet

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
One thing I've really come to realize is the money isn't as great as it used to be, relative to the ridiculous dispatches. I made $1966 last week and punched out last night at 10:17. Ridiculous. My route went out with 35 more stops then a normal heavy day. The other 2 routes in my loop went out with average days. I was told it was because a split got cut last minute. Then I'm told one of the drivers in my loop will be coming to take work when done to help. Never happened.

I'm on the 9.5 doesn't matter they just violate you. I file every week. Does nothing. It's really getting out of hand. It's almost like working 2 jobs sometimes with the stupid dispatches. Punching out at 10:17 is a joke. Walking up to people's houses at 9:45. Bullsheet
That's scary. Depending on where your route is, you could be met at the door with a gun. Horrible thought to think that might happen....someone mistaking a driver for a robber and he end up dead. :(

The bad part about UPS loaders is they are the "slaves" of the company. They bust their butts off for $9/hr and no benefits for a year. What a bunch of crap. You can go work at Burger King for $9/hr and not even work 1/10th as hard as you would at UPS.

It's $10/hr now, but still. I've felt like the amount of work and effort I've put into my job isn't remotely worth the pay I'm being compensated. It is a bunch of crap and benefits should come after 90 days at the very least. However, I did sign up for this, it's better than no job and no income, but the toll it takes on your body and psyche almost isn't worth it.