After Two Weeks

It's really gotten bad. I'm sitting here on a Saturday, SMH thinking about the day they stuck me with yesterday. Totally unrealistic dispatch. They've never cared. And I understand that. But it's gotten really bad.

To have a driver out there at 9:45 at night still walking up to houses delivering packages is ridiculous. And very unsafe. Thankfully I don't work in the sticks and my route is in an upscale area so the neighborhood is safe, but it's still not cool. Not cool at all.

I got mugged on my way to work a few weeks ago. Bruised a few ribs. He got a lot, lot worse. Was my first time absolutely exhilarating. 230am preload going in for 3am.

Anyway, wrong person sees you with a 50 inch TV and a computer in a bad part of the city, bye bye packages and whatever ends up happening to you. I was walking down a staircase down the side of an underpass and ran into 4 super freaked out meth heads lighting a bowl Friday morning. SMDH.

fedx

Extra Large Package
It's really gotten bad. I'm sitting here on a Saturday, SMH thinking about the day they stuck me with yesterday. Totally unrealistic dispatch. They've never cared. And I understand that. But it's gotten really bad.

To have a driver out there at 9:45 at night still walking up to houses delivering packages is ridiculous. And very unsafe. Thankfully I don't work in the sticks and my route is in an upscale area so the neighborhood is safe, but it's still not cool. Not cool at all.
I agree. I think UPS would be better off to hire a few more people to deliver instead of paying people OT to stay out till 10pm. Plus it looks bad for the company. When a UPS guy comes to your house at 9:45pm to deliver your package, wouldn't your first response be "what's he doing here this late?" Then you find out that guy has been working since 7 or 8am and you might be angry that they are forced to work that late. Makes UPS look bad. Hire a few more drivers to take the stress load off the current drivers. It's a win win. You have happier drivers that can come home to their families at 5-6pm and you have more drivers making big bucks who don't have to put in tons of OT. In the long run the company would benefit from hiring a few more drivers. They would save money in not paying so much OT and customers would get their packages before going to bed and drivers could actually have a life.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

I agree. I think UPS would be better off to hire a few more people to deliver instead of paying people OT to stay out till 10pm. Plus it looks bad for the company. When a UPS guy comes to your house at 9:45pm to deliver your package, wouldn't your first response be "what's he doing here this late?" Then you find out that guy has been working since 7 or 8am and you might be angry that they are forced to work that late. Makes UPS look bad. Hire a few more drivers to take the stress load off the current drivers. It's a win win. You have happier drivers that can come home to their families at 5-6pm and you have more drivers making big bucks who don't have to put in tons of OT. In the long run the company would benefit from hiring a few more drivers. They would save money in not pay so much OT and customers would get their packages before going to bed.
Agree

Wouldn't happen in a million years

Here's the cliff notes from the PCM we got yesterday. Guys today is bad. Everyone's heavy. But next week the volume will drop and it will be better.

Bullsheet. You'll just cut more routes and everyone will still be boned. It gets so old.

I agree. I think UPS would be better to hire a few more people to deliver instead of paying people OT to stay out till 10pm. Plus it looks bad for the company. When a UPS guy comes to your house at 9:45pm to deliver your package, wouldn't your first response be "what's he doing here this late?" Then you find out that guy has been working since 7 or 8am and you might be angry that they are forced to work that late. Makes UPS look bad. Hire a few more drivers to take the stress load off the current drivers. It's a win win. You have happier drivers that can come home to their families at 5-6pm and you have more drivers making big bucks who don't have to put in tons of OT. In the long run the company would benefit from hiring a few more drivers.
UPS has been hiring a lot of new drivers the last few years. With new drivers being paid $20/hr. and being much younger and able to do more stops, UPS is making big bucks. Even with all the new hiring UPS is barely able to keep up with replacing all the baby boomers retiring. Then with the PT minimum wages, UPS is finding itself in a world of hurt. Come in someday on the preload operation and see what $10/hr and no benefits buy you along with the work expectation. A disaster everyday and on Peak days a complete meltdown. My conscious is clear as I give just as much effort as management does. Higher management as PT and FT sups and managers are too busy doing hourly work.

ManInBrown

I remember a day years ago. Going back 3 center manager's. He tells us in the morning. Guys I'm gonna catch a lot of heat for this. But I put in a few extra routes today to lighten things up. You gotta bring it in for me. Please

That would never happen in today's ups. It's a screw job every day.

I remember a day years ago. Going back 3 center manager's. He tells us in the morning. Guys I'm gonna catch a lot of heat for this. But I put in a few extra routes today to lighten things up. You gotta bring it in for me. Please

That would never happen in today's ups. It's a screw job every day.
Have had Center Managers that when preload was wrapped early would green light driver start times. Usually driver moral would skyrocket and everyone would have a good day included the twi sort and everyone downstream. And the customers. Can't have that anymore can we.

Richard Cranium

After two weeks on the job as a preloader, I don't understand how people do this for years and sometimes decades; chasing that elusive possible drivers position and great benefits I suppose. In my initial post, I made a comment about how I didn't get how could be bitter about working here; I understand 100% now. Soul-sucking and life consuming should be the proper job description.

An actual image of UPS.
latest
After two weeks on the job as a preloader, I don't understand how people do this for years and sometimes decades; chasing that elusive possible drivers position and great benefits I suppose. In my initial post, I made a comment about how I didn't get how people could be bitter about working here; I understand 100% now. Soul-sucking and life consuming should be the proper job description.

An actual image of UPS.
latest
First 2 weeks are the easiest.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I always tell myself it's just a workout and supers are annoying gym rats making unnecessary noise and haven't been frustrated since. Once I learned I can wear loosely fitted ear buds for protection, I don't answer anyone unless I hear my name. Makes it so much more bearable.
I'm wearing headphones as I type.
My wife is still talking away to me.
moe. is much than my wife's endless prattle.

Last edited:

Hellobrown2000

Your wage is based on a union contract right? Pay raises are union negotiated in a contract right? So yes, the union does pay your wage in what they negotiate in the contract. If you have virtually no union benefits (ie, paid almost minimum wage and have to wait a year to get benefits), then there's no reason to pay union dues. Pay them once you benefit from the union contract (high pay, benefits). Until that year is up, I wouldn't pay a cent. Also, waiting a year for benefits is ridiculous. I can't think of any other company you could work for where they say "you don't get any benefits until you're here an entire year". Maybe some fast food joint, but no respectable company.
Does FedEx pay your benefits?
Even verizon makes their employees pay for health care.

Hellobrown2000

Yea man...I was in tears the rest of the night...locked myself in the back of my truck and started bawling more than once...I should have called my BA...but he's a piece of crap and either would have ignored my call or sided with my boss
What state are you in. Let others know where to never transfer to.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Does FedEx pay your benefits?
Even verizon makes their employees pay for health care.
Express pays nearly all of it. Medical is only like $6 (was $5) a month for single. Plus you qualify immediately for coverage. Doesn't UPS make you wait a year before you can even get medical coverage?

clean hairy

I agree. I think UPS would be better off to hire a few more people to deliver instead of paying people OT to stay out till 10pm. Plus it looks bad for the company. When a UPS guy comes to your house at 9:45pm to deliver your package, wouldn't your first response be "what's he doing here this late?" Then you find out that guy has been working since 7 or 8am and you might be angry that they are forced to work that late. Makes UPS look bad. Hire a few more drivers to take the stress load off the current drivers. It's a win win. You have happier drivers that can come home to their families at 5-6pm and you have more drivers making big bucks who don't have to put in tons of OT. In the long run the company would benefit from hiring a few more drivers. They would save money in not paying so much OT and customers would get their packages before going to bed and drivers could actually have a life.
What is being missed, though, is the fact the folks in Upper Management went to Skool and have walls full of degwees and dipomas!

All that paper makes them smarter than us! (in their own minds)
We are just (in their minds) dumb disposable hourlies.
Yet they come to us to try and make Orion run better!

If lots of paper makes a person smart, we are smarter than Management! Just consider all the paper we could plaster on our walls from bogus write ups and grievances we have to file!