After Two Weeks

I always tell myself it's just a workout and supers are annoying gym rats making unnecessary noise and haven't been frustrated since. Once I learned I can wear loosely fitted ear buds for protection, I don't answer anyone unless I hear my name. Makes it so much more bearable.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I always tell myself it's just a workout and supers are annoying gym rats making unnecessary noise and haven't been frustrated since. Once I learned I can wear loosely fitted ear buds for protection, I don't answer anyone unless I hear my name. Makes it so much more bearable.
do they check u out

Hellobrown2000

Most any job sucks. VERY VERY few people actually love what they do for a living. Mostly it just involves surviving as an adult. You will find that out after your next few jobs. If you've only been at UPS for 2 weeks and already feel this way it probably isn't for you. One day you could look back and think--"Damn-- I wish I would have stayed at UPS". Especially if you meet an old fart like me who tells you about being able to retire at 53.
LOL can't retire at 53 anymore

Hellobrown2000

The bad part about UPS loaders is they are the "slaves" of the company. They bust their butts off for $9/hr and no benefits for a year. What a bunch of crap. You can go work at Burger King for $9/hr and not even work 1/10th as hard as you would at UPS. What's sad is UPS is the gold standard in pay for everything EXCEPT loaders. You have feeder drivers making over $100K a year. You have package car drivers making over $80K a year. Then you have the loaders making under $20K. Seems fair right? Really it's a pyramid scheme where all the high paying driving jobs are paid for by not paying any of the loaders fairly. Sure you can "pay your dues" as a loader, wait, and maybe in a few years you can be a driver or wait 20 to 25 years and become a feeder driver. UPS knows they can under pay loaders who want to get their foot in the door, but quit after a few years of going nowhere. UPS got all that cheap labor in the meantime. I don't know if the loaders are represented by the union, but it sure doesn't seem like it. If they are, I wouldn't pay any dues since you're so highly underpaid. You aren't getting any benefits of a union, so I wouldn't pay any dues until you get paid similar to what drivers make. That's only fair in a union shop.
Tell em next contract you want driver pay freezed and that money to go to part timers.

ManInBrown

It's really gotten bad. I'm sitting here on a Saturday, SMH thinking about the day they stuck me with yesterday. Totally unrealistic dispatch. They've never cared. And I understand that. But it's gotten really bad.

To have a driver out there at 9:45 at night still walking up to houses delivering packages is ridiculous. And very unsafe. Thankfully I don't work in the sticks and my route is in an upscale area so the neighborhood is safe, but it's still not cool. Not cool at all.

Box Ox

It's really gotten bad. I'm sitting here on a Saturday, SMH thinking about the day they stuck me with yesterday. Totally unrealistic dispatch. They've never cared. And I understand that. But it's gotten really bad.

Could be a great way to get us all to quit before the next contract! Maybe have all new FT hires top out at $25/hr.

To have a driver out there at 9:45 at night still walking up to houses delivering packages is ridiculous. And very unsafe.

In my part of the country, people at home start petting their guns at 20:00 and are heavily stroking them by 21:45. I try to ninja in and out to avoid the wrong end of a "I shot a home intruder " fantasy. Make any noise and they've already grabbed their gun.

ManInBrown

Could be a great way to get us all to quit before the next contract! Maybe have all new FT hires top out at $25/hr.

In my part of the country, people at home start petting their guns at 20:00 and are heavily stroking them by 21:45. I try to ninja in and out to avoid the wrong end of a "I shot a home intruder " fantasy. Make any noise and they've already grabbed their gun.

Quitting never crosses my mind. It's more of a SMDH thing.

Petting their guns. Lol. Stay safe man.

Messaged in about 30 minutes ago saying there was a death in the family and was wondering if someone could finish my route..."we need you to get it done. The faster you go the faster you can get home to your family"

I'm sorry for your loss. That's honestly bush league and crap. I know when I lost my mom, the place I worked at the time told me to go home and be with my family, come back when I'm ready. I know it's a business and we all have a job to do, but for two seconds I wish some people would quit thinking about the bottom line. I mean is it too much to think about the safety and well-being of their employees and fellow co-workers?

fedx

Extra Large Package
Eh, I dunno. Went through the UPS PT experience. Making peanuts for a few years to make the big bucks for the rest of my career still sounds better than the FedEx approach to pay and benefits. Could be wrong.
But that's what I'm saying. You shouldn't have to start out making peanuts for any amount of time at UPS before you make it "in" and the big bucks. Union loaders should start out at least $15/hr not $9 or $10. UPS management knows they can build a foundation on minimum hourly paid, slave class working loaders to help subsidize the highly paid drivers. And the union seems good with it too. FedEx pays loaders a minimum of $13.40/hr in their lowest paying markets and get health insurance right away. However, FedEx screwed over drivers who have been hired in the past 25 years with dime and quarter raises to where it takes 20 years to top out.

fedx

Extra Large Package
It's $10/hr now, but still. I've felt like the amount of work and effort I've put into my job isn't remotely worth the pay I'm being compensated. It is a bunch of crap and benefits should come after 90 days at the very least. However, I did sign up for this, it's better than no job and no income, but the toll it takes on your body and psyche almost isn't worth it.
Don't worry it's not just you that thinks that. It's a fact that you are underpaid for the kind of hard, back breaking work you do. And benefits should come immediately. If you loaders are unionized, I would refuse to pay your monthly dues until they give you enough pay that you can actually afford their dues.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't worry it's not just you that thinks that. It's a fact that you are underpaid for the kind of hard, back breaking work you do. And benefits should come immediately. If you loaders are unionized, I would refuse to pay your monthly dues until they give you enough pay that you can actually afford their dues.

The Union does not pay our wages so withholding dues until "they pay you enough" is not an option.

I do agree that they are underpaid----$15/hr should be the starting wage---but I disagree that they should receive benefits from day one. One year is not an unreasonable amount of time to wait for industry leading benefits.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I'm sorry for your loss. That's honestly bush league and crap. I know when I lost my mom, the place I worked at the time told me to go home and be with my family, come back when I'm ready. I know it's a business and we all have a job to do, but for two seconds I wish some people would quit thinking about the bottom line. I mean is it too much to think about the safety and well-being of their employees and fellow co-workers?
I wasn't even myself...yea I finished the job...but I was passing houses...zoning out...but hey I brought back an empty truck for the billion dollar company I work for

fedx

Extra Large Package
The Union does not pay our wages so withholding dues until "they pay you enough" is not an option.

I do agree that they are underpaid----$15/hr should be the starting wage---but I disagree that they should receive benefits from day one. One year is not an unreasonable amount of time to wait for industry leading benefits.
Your wage is based on a union contract right? Pay raises are union negotiated in a contract right? So yes, the union does pay your wage in what they negotiate in the contract. If you have virtually no union benefits (ie, paid almost minimum wage and have to wait a year to get benefits), then there's no reason to pay union dues. Pay them once you benefit from the union contract (high pay, benefits). Until that year is up, I wouldn't pay a cent. Also, waiting a year for benefits is ridiculous. I can't think of any other company you could work for where they say "you don't get any benefits until you're here an entire year". Maybe some fast food joint, but no respectable company.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I wasn't even myself...yea I finished the job...but I was passing houses...zoning out...but hey I brought back an empty truck for the billion dollar company I work for

Brother, I'm sorry for your loss. My wife called me yesterday during my route and informed me her father passed away. I called my center manager, he said do fifty stops and call him back to see if he could get me off Road. I pulled over, called our BA, and received a call from center manager ten minutes later to bring it in. It's just packages. My wife needed me more than anyone needed any of those packages. I also was not really into digging through the :censored2:ty load to find packages and being asked why am I crying by lazy fat Amazon prime members. It's just packages, way more important stuff on this earth.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Brother, I'm sorry for your loss. My wife called me yesterday during my route and informed me her father passed away. I called my center manager, he said do fifty stops and call him back to see if he could get me off Road. I pulled over, called our BA, and received a call from center manager ten minutes later to bring it in. It's just packages. My wife needed me more than anyone needed any of those packages. I also was not really into digging through the :censored2:ty load to find packages and being asked why am I crying by lazy fat Amazon prime members. It's just packages, way more important stuff on this earth.
Yea man...I was in tears the rest of the night...locked myself in the back of my truck and started bawling more than once...I should have called my BA...but he's a piece of crap and either would have ignored my call or sided with my boss