Age limit

35years

Gravy route
That's just plain ridiculous. What kind of life is that?
A life filled with self-sacrifice and love.
A life dedicated to taking care of others.
Many, many of us have loved ones who are disabled or are otherwise unable to fend for themselves and need the financial help that we UPSers can provide.

I will retire when I feel God has a different plan for my life.
I am thankful that I am able to care for those who are in my life.
Spending everyday golfing and drinking sounds like an empty existence to me, but to each his own. I know many are too broken down from years of work to continue.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I work in a 70 driver Center, our most senior driver is 66. He collects pension, social security, and works about 50 hours a week. He has been saying he will retire the last couple of years, but won't do it. He is in great shape and likes to work, our Hub is his delivery area. He probably clears about $2700 a week. His house is paid off and his wife still works. He doesn't have any hobbies or do volunteer work that I know off. I was third on our seniority list but somebody bid into our Center and bumped me down one notch.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I work in a 70 driver Center, our most senior driver is 66. He collects pension, social security, and works about 50 hours a week. He has been saying he will retire the last couple of years, but won't do it. He is in great shape and likes to work, our Hub is his delivery area. He probably clears about $2700 a week. His house is paid off and his wife still works. He doesn't have any hobbies or do volunteer work that I know off. I was third on our seniority list but somebody bid into our Center and bumped me down one notch.

How do you collect your pension and still work? I assumed you had to retire to get any pension benefits.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When you reach a certain age, you can collect pension and social security and still work. I call it triple dipping......you put the time and contributions in so why not? Some people just enjoy working. I have an easy all DR route with no pickups and my customers love me. Plus I gross twice the amount of what the pension pays right now. I can retire whenever I feel like it but I'm actually having fun since I have no pressure on me and I don't pay attention to most of the BS that gets thrown at us. If I had a horrible route like a lot of you do I would retire and find something else to do, so I can understand how most of you feel.

By The Book

If you were born in 1959 your full SS retirement benefits are payable to you at age 66.If you were born in 1960 or later your full SS retirement age is 67. You can receive your pension at age 65 and work full time without a problem. You can receive your 401k at age 59 1/2. I guess you could apply for and receive early SS at the reduced rate also if you wanted, at age 62. You need to start taking withdrawals from your pension before age 70 1/2 or there's a penalty. You also need to start taking SS before age 70. SS will reduce $1 for every $2 that you earn over the annual limit of $15,720 if you are receiving SS before your full retirement age.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you were born in 1959 your full SS retirement benefits are payable to you at age 66.If you were born in 1960 or later your full SS retirement age is 67. You can receive your pension at age 65 and work full time without a problem. You can receive your 401k at age 59 1/2. I guess you could apply for and receive early SS at the reduced rate also if you wanted, at age 62. You need to start taking withdrawals from your pension before age 70 1/2 or there's a penalty. You also need to start taking SS before age 70. SS will reduce $1 for every $2 that you earn over the annual limit of $15,720 if you are receiving SS before your full retirement age.

Dang, we have a guy with making about $125k on a mileage run, plus a military pension, SS and I guess his UPS pension.

I imagine his last day of work will make the news...I see it as him stroking out and having a major accident. I know that sounds bad but I don't think anyone in their 70's need to be driving a semi, especially 590 miles a day.

By The Book

Your SS benefits are based on your highest 35 years of earnings. By staying past your minimum retirement date you are increasing your benefit amount. People stay for numerous reasons past the date when they can pull the plug. As a steward I found it of no benefit to try to encourage a senior driver to retire as soon as eligible. To each is own, when it's their time they'll let you know.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You can collect a pension before you retire?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You can collect a pension before you retire?

Yes, you can draw pension at age 55 I believe.
bunch of greedy bastards, retire allready

Seniority is a great thing, it gives us a right to bid on better routes and stay where and how long we want. I don't buy into that "retire so somebody else can have your route" bit. I paid my dues a long time ago and I have every right to work as long as I feel up to it.