Retire before age 55 to be eligible for insurance

UPSmechanicinblue

Hello, Does anyone have knowledge if someone retires at age 51 with 30 years under the central region before the required age of 55 to get health insurance? Is there a way to retire now and wait until age 55 or older to get their insurance if needed? Wife is going to work and can be on here insurance until I am 55 or maybe longer. Just checking to see what my options are and this maybe helpful for others.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello, Does anyone have knowledge if someone retires at age 51 with 30 years under the central region before the required age of 55 to get health insurance? Is there a way to retire now and wait until age 55 or older to get their insurance if needed? Wife is going to work and can be on here insurance until I am 55 or maybe longer. Just checking to see what my options are and this maybe helpful for others.
Might be wrong but I think you get one chance to accept or reject

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
We currently have two very money savvy vets anxiously awaiting age 55 because of the insurance buy in at that age. I know almost certainly that one of them has done his due diligence.
Side note - both are well over 30 years of service, 34 and 35 years, both will retire this year.

oldngray

nowhere special
It depends on the local but in some you don't have to be 55 to get insurance. Most plans do kick you off to Medicare at 65.

UPSmechanicinblue

Might be wrong but I think you get one chance to accept or reject
I herd this also but want verification if that one chance is when submitting for retirement like the Joint and Surviving spouse option that must be selected at retirement and cannot be changed. I didn't see the insurance part on the retirement benefits form.

UPSmechanicinblue

You have the right idea-----keep the wife working. The longer the better.
This is my other option, she works for the VA so has her own insurance and pension and is around 10 years behind me on her time to retire so I maybe just on her insurance until 65 if need be.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This is my other option, she works for the VA so has her own insurance and pension and is around 10 years behind me on her time to retire so I maybe just on her insurance until 65 if need be.
Just a word of advice
When you turn 65 don’t think Medicare is anything like Teamcare
I’ve had to request pre determinations on medicine I’ve taken for years they will fight and deny any medicine they think they can get away with
Terrible experience

UPSmechanicinblue

Just a word of advice
When you turn 65 don’t think Medicare is anything like Teamcare
I’ve had to request pre determinations on medicine I’ve taken for years they will fight and deny any medicine they think they can get away with
Terrible experience
Great!!! seems the illegals coming across the border are in the plan I want?

UPSmechanicinblue

I do feel that when any of you have time vested you should have paperwork ready to submit for your spouse to get something. We could end up terminally I'll at anytime. We actually had a supervisor visit a driver in the hospital due to pancreatic cancer with very minimal time left and he instructed him on what to do. I am not sure of a option she or he would have after we pass if have not retired.

Red Headed Stranger

This is from the Teamcare website (under My Documents, then Other Forms and Documents, then Retiree Health Plan Benefits and Medicare):

Avoid An Overpayment KNOW THE RETIREE HEALTH PLAN RULES The TeamCare Retiree Health Plan is only available to retirees and dependents who are not eligible for Medicare (Part A, B, or D) which includes early-Medicare due to a Social Security Disability Benefit. The Retiree Health Plan is not a supplement to Medicare nor does it coordinate with Medicare. You or your covered dependent(s) cannot receive TeamCare Retiree Health Plan benefits while being eligible for Medicare. ALERT If either you or your covered dependent(s) are receiving TeamCare Retiree Health Plan benefits and have:  Medicare (Part A, B or D), or  Early-Medicare due to a disability, or  Applied for a Social Security Disability Benefit YOU MUST NOTIFY TEAMCARE IMMEDIATELY TEAMCARE WILL PURSUE ALL OVERPAYMENTS OF PAID CLAIMS AS A RESULT OF NOT RECEIVING NOTIFICATION OF ELIGIBILITY FOR MEDICARE To prevent an overpayment of paid claims and to comply with TeamCare and Medicare’s eligibility rules, you can notify TeamCare either by phone, email, or fax and indicate your Medicare coverage start dates shown on your Medicare card: CALL ONLINE FAX 800-TEAMCARE (832-6227) Use the secure online Message Center at MyTeamCare.org 847-518-9752 YOUR RETIREE HEALTH PLAN BENEFITS AND MEDICARE 8647 West Higgins Road ● Chicago IL 60631-2803 ● MyTeamCare.or

Red Headed Stranger

If you are under Teamcare, don't forget the retiree coverage will only pay up to $350,000 per year/per person. If you or your spouse ends up with cancer, this will not go far.