Air conditioning in yard birds

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Then they should put in those idle air or whatever they are called that sleepers have that runs the heat a/c when the truck is off.

moldsporh

The reason there's no AC in package cars and shifter's is because management doesn't operate them. ;)

Let OSHA probe the inside of a package car one hot day and it will make the news.

I understand about the fuel concern, but shifter's should have AC, pc's....that would actually allow us to work more efficient but that would be bad right?

tre305

I'm at a small center in miami, this past peak we were brought a 2nd shifter from our miami hub to help switch trailers out faster. I was still training to shift and the other shifter showed it to me one morning, had all the bells and whistles, even an actual tag since it moves trailers on surface streets. And if i recall correctly it did indeed have A.C.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm at a small center in miami, this past peak we were brought a 2nd shifter from our miami hub to help switch trailers out faster. I was still training to shift and the other shifter showed it to me one morning, had all the bells and whistles, even an actual tag since it moves trailers on surface streets. And if i recall correctly it did indeed have A.C.

It probably had the a/c controls on the dash, but it did not work.

These basically come with a/c as standard equipment from the manufacturer. It costs more to order them without a/c. So UPS just removes the a/c before they are put in service.

Or, like trickpony said, this was a a tractor to move trailers on surface streets and is required by contract to have a/c.

watdaflock?

Don't know of any of these that have AC, even down here in Texas where we could sure use them. They do assign a certain number of old rag-tag tractors to take up the slack to shift in the yard, and you can sometimes find a/c in these.
truck3a.jpg

Is the roof glass? If so, those would be a blast to drive in Phoenix in July with no A/C.

Overpaid Union Thug

Do any of you guys at the larger hubs , smaller hubs have air conditioning in your yard birds , shifting trucks ? Our management tells us after the grievance is filed and heard that no birds have A.C. in them across the country , and we all know how trustworthy management is . If you do have A.C. in your yard bird could you post a picture of it .
When I was a shifter at FedEx (down the road from Whites Creek) we were in and out of the tractor so much it would have been silly to have AC. Much like in package. We only had two or three shifters working on the yard at a time so we stayed pretty busy. I always wondered why I'd see so many shifters sitting idle at Whites Creek. LOL! When I'd finish the noonday shift at FedEx I'd head over to UPS and make that long walk of shame that everyone at WC has to make from the parking lot. On the way through the yard or back to my truck after twilight I'd always see plenty of idle shifters. A couple of them were usually snacking on something and one time I saw a lady asleep with her hand still inside a bag of popcorn. It was unreal. We rarely had to time to finish a snack. Let alone fall asleep. LOL! We only used the yard birds at FedEx and not actual tractors like feeder drivers use. I heard one of the guys I worked with in shifting at FedEx is now a feeder driver at WC.

gorilla75jdw

When I was a shifter at FedEx (down the road from Whites Creek) we were in and out of the tractor so much it would have been silly to have AC. Much like in package. We only had two or three shifters working on the yard at a time so we stayed pretty busy. I always wondered why I'd see so many shifters sitting idle at Whites Creek. LOL! When I'd finish the noonday shift at FedEx I'd head over to UPS and make that long walk of shame that everyone at WC has to make from the parking lot. On the way through the yard or back to my truck after twilight I'd always see plenty of idle shifters. A couple of them were usually snacking on something and one time I saw a lady asleep with her hand still inside a bag of popcorn. It was unreal. We rarely had to time to finish a snack. Let alone fall asleep. LOL! We only used the yard birds at FedEx and not actual tractors like feeder drivers use. I heard one of the guys I worked with in shifting at FedEx is now a feeder driver at WC.
So what area did you work at in whites creek , twilight ? What years?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The big reason is that if the trailers didn't get swapped out right away, the sort would not go down on time.

You guys stayed pretty busy at FedEx because you may have had 3 or 4 doors ready to pull at the same time.

That 4th door may not have got swapped out for 10 minutes. UPS cannot afford to have a door waiting for 10 minutes.

They have enough shifters to get the doors swapped right away when more than 1 door is ready at the same time. Yes, this does mean there is a lot of down time.

The price to pay to get doors swapped right away and to get the sort done on time.

Overpaid Union Thug

The big reason is that if the trailers didn't get swapped out right away, the sort would not go down on time.

You guys stayed pretty busy at FedEx because you may have had 3 or 4 doors ready to pull at the same time.

That 4th door may not have got swapped out for 10 minutes. UPS cannot afford to have a door waiting for 10 minutes.

They have enough shifters to get the doors swapped right away when more than 1 door is ready at the same time. Yes, this does mean there is a lot of down time.

The price to pay to get doors swapped right away and to get the sort done on time.
We rarely had more then three unload doors in one area called out that close together. Most of that action would start at the end of the sort on the days our shift ended way before twilight started. Only the new unload/PD supervisors would ever blow out multiple doors at the same time or close together.

We got our spots by radio on the same frequency the hub was on. I loved listening to other sups (especially the supervisor running the sort) hound them for blowing out too many doors at the same time. Along with all the other normal chatter. We got them spotted pretty quickly though. Unless one of the new sups was having a bad day.