air driver delivering ground

weirdohappy

Friday I was asked to deliver some air after preload, and in addition to that was asked to deliver a bulk ground stop and a ground misload. Should I be paid temp driver pay, or air pay? I was told I'm getting air pay

Ouch

You shall receive driver pay for the entire shift if you delivered one ground package. If you do not then you need to file a grievance.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
We had this happen here years ago. Air driver, pt, doing letter box rt was asked to run ground misloads and the like. He grieved for, and got ground rate. DM got so pissed they later blended the letter box rt into a ft bid ground rt. The pt'er was forced back inside. I'd say, however, that you are probably entitled to ground rate.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
This also applies to ground pkgs dropped off at letter boxes by customers. Like an std, it only takes one. Ground driver used to have to follow up behind this pt'er and recovery the ARS's and such after the air was picked up so they wouldn't have to pay at the ground rate. :alien2:

PT Car Washer

Ground** not allowed to deliver ground while on air pay

Sent using BrownCafe App
That is right. You are not allowed to either pick up or deliver ground packages unless you are paid top driver rate. I always receive top driver rate for doing letter boxes because most times there are more ground packages then air. You will not receive driver rate for working preload.

AKCoverMan

We have only one air driver left. He comes in half way thru preload and helps preload, usually carting recycles back to the head end of the belt. Some days he gets pulled off that to run EAMs. Then he delivers air for about three hours (we are a 1200 commit) followed by air pickup run getting back to bldg at 1430 (our air cutoff is 1500.

Almost daily there are misloads and/or bulk stops that blowout and are left in bldg so he goes back out and delivers those. Ka-Ching! Whole day gets paid at FT driver top rate pay.

O

OLDMAN3

If you were told you were getting air pay and agreed to work at that pay rate what makes you think you can file a grievance?

Resident know-it-all.
Not only can he file a grievance, it is a slam dunk win for him. The contract exists so that a center manager like this one does not make up their own rules on what rate to pay employees. center manager is the one breaking the rules here and trying to cheat an employee out of wages. The center manager should be reported to the national hotline for dishonesty.

PT Car Washer

Our air driver ranks are expanding in my building. Both Art 22.3 and AM PT air drivers. Taking the pressure off of FT drivers. Instead od chasing air all morning and then starting their ground work they can jump right into delivering. That way they can get their business off before pick ups. Sounds like a good plan to me.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
We have only one air driver left. He comes in half way thru preload and helps preload, usually carting recycles back to the head end of the belt. Some days he gets pulled off that to run EAMs. Then he delivers air for about three hours (we are a 1200 commit) followed by air pickup run getting back to bldg at 1430 (our air cutoff is 1500.

Almost daily there are misloads and/or bulk stops that blowout and are left in bldg so he goes back out and delivers those. Ka-Ching! Whole day gets paid at FT driver top rate pay.
Sounds like that dude is making easy money!

pmccrite2004

If you are a part time air driver, but have ground also the ground pay should be what you are getting, and that would be at top driver pay for your center.

kingOFchester

If you were told you were getting air pay and agreed to work at that pay rate what makes you think you can file a grievance?

Resident know-it-all.

I have a problem with what you posted. The ground rate paid to an air driver is not in the contract only to compensate the air driver, but rather to protect the entire union. It is not in the contract only to get the air driver more money, but to protect the union from the company using a lower paid employee rather then filling full time jobs. Wording in the contact is not always about just one individual but rather for the benefit of the Teamsters on the whole.

It should not be up to the air driver to except lower pay. If that was the case and a great number of air drivers delivered ground at an air rate, the company would abuse this, which could keep another full-time job from hitting the books.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

Resident know-it-all.

Because that is what the contract says that he will make. It also says there shall be no extra contract agreements.

You really are a piece of work Dave. You know damn good and well they are to be paid top rate, you also know that management knows they are to pay them top rate. So you think it is OK for management to take advantage of a young inexperienced air driver and they should not be allowed to protect themselves with a grievance? That contract was agreed to by both sides and nothing pisses me off more than when management blatantly disregards it to take advantage of the inexperienced. Except when a so called brother turns their back and lets it happen. That is exactly why fellow Teamsters on this board have such a disdain for you and your views!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
To the OP, use this situation as one of many learning tools for your future. You now see how management will treat you as soon as they think they can get over on you.

Knowledge is the key to not being treated poorly and unfairly. If you have not done so, get yourself a contract book and read every word in it!! Start going to meetings at your Local Union hall and start asking questions of your Stewards and/or fellow high Seniority drivers. Make sure you know more about the contract than the sups and you will never be taken advantage of. In fact once they realize you know the rules they will treat you with the respect that you deserve as an employee and a HUMAN!!

Ouch

Our contract allows us to file a grievance on infractions of this nature. Do you not know what the contract states about this?
Resident know-it-all.

Ouch

I don't know why my reply got put in with upstates but hey upstate, surely you don't need a retired guy to explain the language of the contract to you. Our contract allows you to file against articles that are violated. It also sets the pay scale for doing this type of work. You should read it sometime. It has some pretty interesting stuff in their about dishonesty and discipline for it.