Air driver to cover driver

upsed

Hope I'm questioning this in the right area. Does anyone recall getting a letter saying that with the new contract air drivers moving to cover drivers would keep their current rate if higher until they reached top rate instead of starting over? I thought for sure I got a letter stating this but can not find it. If anyone can verify I'd appreciate it!

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hope I'm questioning this in the right area. Does anyone recall getting a letter saying that with the new contract air drivers moving to cover drivers would keep their current rate if higher until they reached top rate instead of starting over? I thought for sure I got a letter stating this but can not find it. If anyone can verify I'd appreciate it!

Never heard of that, unless it's in a supplement. As far as I know all part-time employees have to start the 3 year package car progression. Part-time air driver that is. Full-time air driver wouldn't have to start the progression to package car over, just a break-in period. Correct me if I'm wrong..

brownrodster

All of our PT air drivers start at higher than normal progression wages when they start full time. It's somewhere in a supplement or something.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

(b.) No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one (1) time even if he or she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the employee�s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article 40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same break-in period.

a part-time air driver who completed their 2 year progression in article 40 has the same break-in period as a full-time inside-inside. Basically, they would hold their air driver wage until the 6 month break-in is finished in package, then reach top rate.

brownrodster

Aside from that, our PT air drivers who have not completed progression start at higher than normal wages when entering FT package car driving.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Aside from that, our PT air drivers who have not completed progression start at higher than normal wages when entering FT package car driving.

Correct, because I believe the time (at least part) of the part-time progression is carried over into the FD progression also. Ask a BA or steward to get the answer.

upsed

Thanks guys. I have been a part time cover driver for 5 years. I always turned down the cover driver position until just recently. I finally went ahead with it because I got a letter (which I no longer have or can find) that stated that the new contract would allow PT Air Dr to keep their cuurent rate until I reached Cov Driv top rate. My union stewart confirmed this to me in an email. Now the same union stewart says no, he was wrong. I just don't get it. Even if it's in black and white they make it mean whatever they want. Basicly at their mercy. I was hoping maybe another air driver got the same letter or had been thru this. My pay has been cut $7 and I'm starting all over.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Thanks guys. (1) I have been a part time cover driver for 5 years. I always turned down the cover driver position until just recently. I finally went ahead with it because I got a letter (which I no longer have or can find) that stated that the new contract would allow PT Air Dr to keep their cuurent rate until I reached Cov Driv top rate. My union (2)stewart confirmed this to me in an email. Now the same union stewart says no, he was wrong. I just don't get it. Even if it's in black and white they make it mean whatever they want. Basicly at their mercy. I was hoping maybe another air driver got the same letter or had been thru this. (3)My pay has been cut $7 and I'm starting all over.

(1) this makes no sense. how were you turning down the job you had for 5 years?
(2) It's steward, not stewart. Awful, just awful
(3) what were you making? how could they cut your pay 7/hr if you were air driving? Top rate is only around 20/hr

L

Lost Octopus

I believe that if you are an air driver with a bid job...say Early A.M.s/regular air route or a bid shuttle job, that you start at top air rate when you go full-time...currently $20.62 per hour. If you are only an exception air driver with no bid job than you would revert to the starting pay when you become a full time driver, even if you have gone through the two year progression and reached top air rate. The starting pay for a full time driver will be $17.25 as of August 1st.

upsed

I had been turning down the TCD position. I made 21.62 as an air driver. As a TCD I went back to 14.70. I got some really good news today. I got a call informing me that the union straightened things out and I will be able to keep my current rate until I hit top rate for cover driver. The way things sounded I really didn't expect things to change.

govols019

You smell that?
A part-time cover driver starts and stays at 80% of top full time rate. There is no progression involved. That's how it is in the Southern supplement.

cajunboy

This is what we were discussing yesterday. I am in the northern district, and the company says that you have to go through a PT and a FT progression (2 progressions). So I am a PT bid air driver under article 40 who has gone through progression 5 years ago, and now I feel I have to go FT before the next contract. I won a combo job that takes me down to $13.50 b/c the company says that I must go through a FT progression, and my inside rate is paid according to my hub rate. Does the new contract say that all employees only need one progression?

This is what we were discussing yesterday. I am in the northern district, and the company says that you have to go through a PT and a FT progression (2 progressions). So I am a PT bid air driver under article 40 who has gone through progression 5 years ago, and now I feel I have to go FT before the next contract. I won a combo job that takes me down to $13.50 b/c the company says that I must go through a FT progression, and my inside rate is paid according to my hub rate. Does the new contract say that all employees only need one progression?

This is in atricle 41:

b. No employee shall be required to complete a full-time progression more than one time even if he or
she transfers between full-time jobs except as set forth in this paragraph. The sole exception is when an
employee is awarded a package car or feeder driver job and has not previously held a full-time job
which includes driving duties. In such event, the employee will have a break-in rate equal to the
employee’s current wage rate until six (6) months from the date the employee entered the job. The
employee will then go to the prevailing top rate. A part-time air driver who has completed the Article
40 progression, bids a full-time inside job and then a driver job within two (2) years shall have the same
break-in period.​

cajunboy

I spoke with my manager today and pointed his attention to that article. He says that I am not the exception b/c the contract states that clause applies to inside employees only. I am an air/ night sort employee so they classify me as an inside/ outside empoyee in which case I have to go through a full time progression. If you have any insight I would appreciate it.
cajunboy

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I spoke with my manager today and pointed his attention to that article. He says that I am not the exception b/c the contract states that clause applies to inside employees only. I am an air/ night sort employee so they classify me as an inside/ outside empoyee in which case I have to go through a full time progression. If you have any insight I would appreciate it.
cajunboy

You have to go through the full-time progression. That is clad.

You're lucky to have recieved the 22.3 job in reality...you make 13.50.. that puts you at 3 years PT? IN alot of centers, you'd never sniff a combo job! Sorry about the pay cut, but inside-outside for most people is the lowest on the totem pole pay-wise.

cajunboy

where I work you can get a 22.3 before you get a driving job. I work in a hub that has 3 different centers in it. We have about 80 22.3 jobs, and I believe that all of them are getting screwed in some way or another. The union steward seems to be too chummy with the management. cajunboy

L

Lost Octopus

Does anyone know for sure? I thought if you have a bid air job then go full time...you start at top air rate...$20.97. If you are an exception air driver, you must revert back to $17.25 even if you have reached top air rate. Also does it make any difference if your bid air job is in the am or pm? If anybody can clear up the confusion it would be greatly appreciated.

LU710

Does anyone know for sure? I thought if you have a bid air job then go full time...you start at top air rate...$20.97. If you are an exception air driver, you must revert back to $17.25 even if you have reached top air rate. Also does it make any difference if your bid air job is in the am or pm? If anybody can clear up the confusion it would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you are correct as long as you have made it to top rate as the bid air driver; otherwise you would go to full time starting rate or your current rate whichever is higher.
I was a bid air driver (letter box pick ups at night) and when I went into full time package I stayed at my current rate which was around $19.00 until the progression passed me up and then I got a raise and then went to top rate. I hope this helps.